    color print with the same printer as well).

    Thanks a lot,
    Emmanuel
    Ecolar, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Ecolar

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:57:21 +0100, RE: Best B&W inkjet printer?
    "Ecolar" <_no_spam> wrote:

    >Coming to digital from the dark room, I am looking for a very decent B&W
    >inkjet printer. I have understood that most printers, including the best
    >Canon and Epson, have some difficulties with black and white (well, mostly
    >with black then!)...
    >
    >Any good solution here (of course, I'd like to be able to get very good
    >color print with the same printer as well).

    You might also try posting this in comp.periphs.prints if you don't
    get the information you seek here.

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.
    Vic Dura, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Ecolar

    RSD99 Guest

    For "high end" B&W printing ... see
    http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints4.html

    Another site you should know about is
    http://www.inkjetmall.com/

    RSD99, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Ecolar

    Robert Guest

    HP is the best B&W printer, they use two black inks just for B$W.

    Robert, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Ecolar

    bmoag Guest

    This is a complex issue with many workarounds that cannot be answered on
    this newsgroup. However, if you are new to "high end " digital printing
    there is a steep learning curve involving both the imaging program and the
    printer drivers. Another consideration is how big do you want to make
    prints? If you want to go up to 16x20 the printer costs go into the
    thousands and it may be more cost effective to work with a service bureau.
    My personal recommendation would be to start with an Epson 2200 or the
    Canon9900. The Epson is much easier to begin using in a color managed
    environment, which should be a consideration even in black and white
    printing applications (e.g. toning), because the drivers include usable
    profiles for the many available Epson paper surfaces.
    bmoag, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Ecolar

    Guest

    google "piezography" and you'll find a number of sites dedicated to
    using printers with 4 different shades of black to achieve superb b+w
    prints ...

    steve

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:21:40 -0600, Vic Dura <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:57:21 +0100, RE: Best B&W inkjet printer?
    >"Ecolar" <_no_spam> wrote:
    >
    >>Coming to digital from the dark room, I am looking for a very decent B&W
    >>inkjet printer. I have understood that most printers, including the best
    >>Canon and Epson, have some difficulties with black and white (well, mostly
    >>with black then!)...
    >>
    >>Any good solution here (of course, I'd like to be able to get very good
    >>color print with the same printer as well).
    >>

    >You might also try posting this in comp.periphs.prints if you don't
    >get the information you seek here.
    , Dec 1, 2004
  7. On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:57:21 +0100, "Ecolar"
    <_no_spam> wrote:

    >Coming to digital from the dark room, I am looking for a very decent B&W
    >inkjet printer. I have understood that most printers, including the best
    >Canon and Epson, have some difficulties with black and white (well, mostly
    >with black then!)...
    >
    >Any good solution here (of course, I'd like to be able to get very good
    >color print with the same printer as well).

    There are several ways to go about this. I went the cheap way to
    experiment, with an Epson C86 and MIS EZ inks...with the idea of going
    to a larger printer later. So far, I'm happy with the choice, and I'm
    not making prints larger than 8.5 x 11, so I have no reason to upgrade
    yet.

    There is a YahooGroup you may want to look into:
    "DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint" is a group that discusses B&W inkjet
    printing in great detail. A lot to learn from the folks there.

    HTH,

    Lee

    --
    Lee Hiers, AA4GA
    Cornelia, GA
    Lee Hiers, AA4GA, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Ecolar

    Guest

    Ecolar <_no_spam> wrote:
    > Coming to digital from the dark room, I am looking for a very decent B&W
    > inkjet printer. I have understood that most printers, including the best
    > Canon and Epson, have some difficulties with black and white (well, mostly
    > with black then!)...

    > Any good solution here (of course, I'd like to be able to get very good
    > color print with the same printer as well).

    Tough! The best practice is to use somthing like the Epson 970 with
    Lyson toneable B&W inksets. You won't be able to use the printer for
    colour, though.

    Andrew.
    , Dec 4, 2004
  9. Ecolar

    Matthew Guest

    You'll excuse the delayed response, but the HP 7960 wins hands down in the
    ~$200 range. There is a new HP8450 which is probably similar. The HP's
    specifically have a "photo gray" cartridge so they reproduce B & W
    exceptionally well. Only downside of the HP's are the cartridges are $$$$.
    Matthew

    Matthew, Dec 28, 2004