Best AV Software With Broadband

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CJ, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Morning all,

    I would like to know what AV software people are currently using who
    have a broadband connection and with what firewall.

    I'm using the free Zone Alarm firewall.

    I was running the free AVG AV software but my PC kept freezing.

    I've tried NOD over the last couple of days but that wasn't too good.

    Last night I tried the evaluation version of Panda which seemed very
    good and picked up a couple of viruses. This morning however I've been
    messing about with it (sorry, in depth technical evaluation) and it's
    just slowing Outlook Express and IE to a crawl.

    I've heard that Norton 2004 is buggy and slows things down.

    Thanks.

    CJ

    W98 SE BT 1 Meg Broadband.
    CJ, Apr 3, 2004

  2. CJ

    °Mike° Guest

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    Outpost 2.0
    Outpost 1.0 (free)
    www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm
    AGNIS for Outpost: Outpost Ad Block List
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#Outpost

    Sygate
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:54:19 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c4lu3r$1vc$>
    CJ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 3, 2004

  3. CJ

    Zoab Guest

    "CJ" <> wrote in message
    | Morning all,
    |
    | I would like to know what AV software people are currently using who
    | have a broadband connection and with what firewall.
    |
    | I'm using the free Zone Alarm firewall.
    |
    | I was running the free AVG AV software but my PC kept freezing.
    |
    | I've tried NOD over the last couple of days but that wasn't too good.
    |
    | Last night I tried the evaluation version of Panda which seemed very
    | good and picked up a couple of viruses. This morning however I've been
    | messing about with it (sorry, in depth technical evaluation) and it's
    | just slowing Outlook Express and IE to a crawl.
    |
    | I've heard that Norton 2004 is buggy and slows things down.
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | CJ
    |
    | W98 SE BT 1 Meg Broadband.

    Hi CJ. I am using Norton 2004 and have not found it buggy, infact I am very
    pleased with it. This week it has pulled down 12 viruses including 3 this
    morning. The other thing I like about it, is that it checks my outgoing mail
    as well as incoming. I have been running Norton for about 3 years and as
    long as you upgrade it every year it works fine.

    Bryan SOF

    Win XP P Virgin Broadband
    Zoab, Apr 3, 2004
  4. CJ

    Ron Martell Guest

    "CJ" <> wrote:

    >Morning all,
    >
    >I would like to know what AV software people are currently using who
    >have a broadband connection and with what firewall.
    >
    >I'm using the free Zone Alarm firewall.
    >
    >I was running the free AVG AV software but my PC kept freezing.
    >
    >I've tried NOD over the last couple of days but that wasn't too good.
    >
    >Last night I tried the evaluation version of Panda which seemed very
    >good and picked up a couple of viruses. This morning however I've been
    >messing about with it (sorry, in depth technical evaluation) and it's
    >just slowing Outlook Express and IE to a crawl.
    >
    >I've heard that Norton 2004 is buggy and slows things down.

    I am using AVG6 Free Edition with no problems.

    I have a router with NAT protection (Microsoft MN500 wireless)
    connected to my ADSL service so there is no need for a firewall.

    Zone Alarm can be problematic and many ISPs insist that Zone Alarm be
    completely uninstalled (not just shut off but uninstalled) before they
    will provide advanced tech support for any Internet connection related
    problems.

    Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --