    comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
    hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid this
    but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

    Rats, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Rats

    Rupert Guest

    it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the new
    system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't say that
    it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new hardware and
    install drivers as needed

    "Rats" <> wrote in message
    > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
    > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately

    the

    Rupert, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Rats

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rats" <> wrote in message
    > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
    > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately

    the
    > mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on my
    > comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
    > hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid

    this
    > but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

    I wonder how you'd get on if your old Hard Drive was stuffed into a new PC
    making it the main "C" drive instead of what's in it. The new HD could the
    second mainly storage one.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Rats

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Rats" <> wrote in

    > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.
    > This isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that.
    > Unfortunately the mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of
    > stuff installed on my comp (both software and hardware under win xp)
    > and its going to be a real hassle to install it all again on a new
    > computer. I would like to avoid this but I can't see too many options
    > ... unless YOU can think of one.

    Take a look into using the Sysprep tool. System Preparation Tool.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prbc_cai_vnv
    e.asp

    Unwrap the URL or google.
    You could also just try a drive imaging tool, without sysprepping first,
    it might work, and if not you now have a good backup.

    What about the migration tool that comes with XP?
    How about
    Aloha bob in combo with file and transfer wizard in XP?
    See also
    for a write up on a move, because the FAST tool has lots of gotchas.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Rats

    Muzz Guest

    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the new
    > system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't say that
    > it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new hardware and
    > install drivers as needed
    >
    > "Rats" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.

    This
    > > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately

    > the
    > > mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on

    my
    > > comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a

    real
    > > hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid

    > this
    > > but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

    I did just as Rupert suggested, putting the drive into my upgraded system,
    but there was too much hardware change - I'd changed from an Intel PIII cpu
    to an AMD Athlon, Intel BX chipset M/board to an nForce2, so it didn't
    really surprise me.

    I booted off the XP CD, and reinstalled over the top of the existing XP
    install. Effectively it picked up the new hardware and freshened WinXP, but
    didn't knobble the existing installed applications which are all working
    fine.

    Muzz, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Rats

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <c0927o$14u27f$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
    > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately the
    > mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on my
    > comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
    > hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid this
    > but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

    What happens if you take your HDD out of the old machine, put it into the
    new one, and turn it on?

    It'll probably come up with a few messages about different hardware that
    it's detected and carry on working.

    You may get activation wizard messages - The office XP activation wizard
    is pretty easy to deal with - I don't know how XP activation handles it.

    This is no different really to using Ghost to image your PC and then
    installing that image on another computer - something that corporate
    sysadmins do all the time.

    Mainlander, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Rats

    Vogan Guest

    "Muzz" <> wrote in message

    > "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > > it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the new
    > > system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't say

    that
    > > it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new hardware and
    > > install drivers as needed
    > >
    > > "Rats" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.

    > This
    > > > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that.

    Unfortunately
    > > the
    > > > mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed

    on
    > my
    > > > comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a

    > real
    > > > hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to

    avoid
    > > this
    > > > but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.
    > > >

    > I did just as Rupert suggested, putting the drive into my upgraded system,
    > but there was too much hardware change - I'd changed from an Intel PIII

    cpu
    > to an AMD Athlon, Intel BX chipset M/board to an nForce2, so it didn't
    > really surprise me.
    >
    > I booted off the XP CD, and reinstalled over the top of the existing XP
    > install. Effectively it picked up the new hardware and freshened WinXP,

    but
    > didn't knobble the existing installed applications which are all working
    > fine.

    I agree with Muzz, I have done this before when upgrading without any
    problems

    Cheers
    Vaughan

    Vogan, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Rats

    MarkH Guest

    Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote in

    > In article <c0927o$14u27f$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.
    >> This isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that.
    >> Unfortunately the mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot
    >> of stuff installed on my comp (both software and hardware under win
    >> xp) and its going to be a real hassle to install it all again on a
    >> new computer. I would like to avoid this but I can't see too many
    >> options ... unless YOU can think of one.

    > What happens if you take your HDD out of the old machine, put it into
    > the new one, and turn it on?
    >
    > It'll probably come up with a few messages about different hardware
    > that it's detected and carry on working.

    It will not boot to Windows XP!

    There will be a blue screen with a message about the boot device not found.
    (Due to the different HDD controller on the new motherboard)

    Easily fixed though, you just run the WinXP install, and choose the option
    to repair the current installation, WinXP should keep all software installs
    intact. However I have seen this not work, sometimes the WinXP install
    doesn’t offer to repair the existing install, a fresh install will involve
    a lot more work.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Feb 10, 2004
  9. Rats

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Muzz wrote:
    > "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    >> it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the
    >> new system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't
    >> say that it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new
    >> hardware and install drivers as needed
    >>
    >> "Rats" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video
    >>> editing. This isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like
    >>> that. Unfortunately the mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have
    >>> a lot of stuff installed on my comp (both software and hardware
    >>> under win xp) and its going to be a real hassle to install it all
    >>> again on a new computer. I would like to avoid this but I can't see
    >>> too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.
    >>>

    > I did just as Rupert suggested, putting the drive into my upgraded
    > system, but there was too much hardware change - I'd changed from an
    > Intel PIII cpu to an AMD Athlon, Intel BX chipset M/board to an
    > nForce2, so it didn't really surprise me.
    >
    > I booted off the XP CD, and reinstalled over the top of the existing
    > XP install. Effectively it picked up the new hardware and freshened
    > WinXP, but didn't knobble the existing installed applications which
    > are all working fine.

    That's interesting. When I did that I lost all my apps from the start menu.
    They were still on the HDD but not the Start menu or the registry.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2004