Best AP to use for wireless bridge?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gregg Hill, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. Gregg Hill

    Gregg Hill Guest

    Hello!

    I am trying to find the best PoE capable wireless bridge for under $500 that
    is capable of bridging about 300' between two buildings with good speed,
    preferably over 30Mbps. I have tested bridges using two D-Link DWL-2100AP
    units and two Linksys WAP54G units. I will try Netgear next, probably the
    WG102 since it has PoE capability.

    All testing so far has been done with the same brand of AP on both ends,
    either in the same room or about 30 feet apart, with their stock antennas.
    The D-Link gets about 23Mbps transfer rate (tested with QCheck) with any
    level of encryption or with no encryption. The Linksys WAP54G units will
    only connect to each other if encryption is disabled, which I found odd. It
    gets about 26Mbps tested with QCheck. My reference hard-wired LAN gets about
    90Mbps with QCheck.

    I am wondering if either Linksys or Netgear has draft N APs that will work
    better. The Netgear unit
    http://netgear.com/Products/BridgesAccessPointsandExtenders/AccessPoints/WN802T.aspx
    does not have an external antenna. I also do not see any mention of PoE.

    Linksys
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...215776&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    has external antennas, but the documentation makes no mention of wireless
    bridging between two wired networks.

    I am trying to avoid spending $5000 on Ceragon FibeAir radios.

    Any input is appreciated.

    Gregg Hill
    Gregg Hill, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Hi
    To Bridge 300” you need a Directional Antenna and a clear line of site.

    I would not use entry-level devices for such a connection.

    Take a look at the Proxim Wireless hardware,
    http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 3, 2006

  3. Gregg Hill

    Gregg Hill Guest

    Jack,

    Thank you for the suggestion. Proxim sure has a lot of different products to
    use.

    I am comparing the units/kits at
    http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/datasheets/QuickBridgeAtAGlance.pdf,
    their 54G stuff, and Ceragon's FibeAir 4800 line. I just test two Linksys
    WAP54G with D-Link 6dbi external antennas jus to get an idea, and they
    worked flawlessly at the distance I need, albeit only at 26Mbps.

    Gregg Hill

    Gregg Hill, Sep 4, 2006
  4. Gregg Hill

    Gregg Hill Guest

    Jack,

    It appears that I am a lousy estimator of distance. I paced it off the other
    day and the gap is roughly 90 feet between buildings. I also took a close
    look at their antennas from across the street, and the main building's Yagi
    appears to be pointing about six feet over the top of the receiving Yagi. I
    think the person who initially installed it used the wrong antennas for this
    distance. Since a Yagi has a very narrow beam, I would expect them to have
    to be pointing down each other's throats to work well.

    This theory also fits what is seen at the site. The remote antenna points
    directly at the main one, while the main one shoots over the remote's head.
    The data transfer from remote to main is 20Mbps and the transfer from main
    to remote is 3Mbps. The current bridge is done using two year old Netgear
    WG102 units with PoE. The client does not have the password to get into them
    to see the settings, and I cannot down the link to reset the units to
    default for access unless I go there on a Sunday.

    Out of curiosity, I asked Netgear which unit would be best and they
    recommended the WAG302, partly because you can use 802.11a to eliminate a
    lot of interference. Since they tout this unit as 108Mbps-capable, I asked
    about the maximum theoretical bridge speed, which they said would be 54Mbps.
    I wonder if that is correct. I tried D-Link's DWL-2100AP set to use 108 and
    it only bridged at 23Mbps, according to QCheck.

    Do you know what the theoretical maximum would be for 54G and 108G
    equipment?

    Gregg Hill

    Gregg Hill, Sep 8, 2006