    Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust worth
    subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.
    Steve D.
    Stephen, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Stephen

    GTS Guest

    Yes. It's a good program that I have used for several years and recommended
    and installed for many clients. It's less resource intensive than some of
    the best known and never (in my experience) causes system conflicts or
    problems. It's updated almost daily with small and fast downloads.

    GTS, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Stephen

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Stephen" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust

    worth
    > subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.
    > Steve D.

    Never tried E-Trust, I use Quick Heal. Found this to be a nice anti-virus,
    has deleted viruses as soon as they have been downloaded. Uses very little
    resources while running in the background, and even supports Macro viruses
    for Microsoft Office.

    It has an auto-update, so you don't have to worry about new viruses.
    Although, it can detected viruses that aren't in its database.

    Another one that a lot of people seem to talk about is AVG. Haven't tried
    this one myself, since I'm happy with the one I have, never had any
    problems.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Stephen

    ric Guest

    Stephen wrote:

    > Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust worth
    > subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.

    I have been using Protector Plus for about four years. It hasn't
    let me down yet.

    http://www.pspl.com/
    ric, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    Etrust is awesome, but beware if you only have a dialup connection because
    their update FTP server has low tolerance for slow connections, and
    frequently times out during the automated update cycle, often leaving dialup
    users dangerously out of date with their virus protection. Broadband
    connections seem to work perfectly reliable though. It's also one of the
    least intrusive, least impacting on system resources of any antivirus
    program I've seen in the last serveral years. However, the "Etrust
    EZ-Antivirus" program they have that is marketed to the general
    consumer/single user market, may use a different update server, and may not
    have the same problems as the corporate Etrust version does with dialup
    connections. As long as you have broadband I highly recommend it.

    Thor, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Stephen

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > consumer/single user market, may use a different update server, and
    > may not have the same problems as the corporate Etrust version does
    > with dialup connections. As long as you have broadband I highly
    > recommend it.

    We use it in the office and I don't have any major problems with it.
    Doesn't bog down the system, doesn't interfere with my day to day
    activities.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Stephen

    Unknown Guest

    "Stephen" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust

    worth
    > subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.
    > Steve D.

    The only two I go anywhere near:

    1) Paid for. Mcafee Virusscan. It is better than Nortons for a few reasons
    but the most telling one is that Nortons wont find a virus/whatever if it is
    nested deep enough whereas Mcafee will. Just be aware that if you use
    Virusscan, be careful about using any other Mcafee product at the same time.
    It has been a long time of problems that only recently seem to be being
    cleared by them. I use Virusscan and Spamkiller 5, both of which work great,
    independently. However, working together on the same machine, Spamkiller
    has, in the past, been killed and the machine grinds to a halt because of
    the actions of Virusscan and Spamkiller 5 not getting on. This seems not to
    be a problem today (latest V5 update applied only yesterday) but waiting a
    bit longer to be sure.

    2) Free. AVG. It isn't great but if your system doesn't have a virus now, it
    is OK at keeping you virus free.
    Unknown, Jul 1, 2004
  8. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    Trent© wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:12:15 GMT, "Stephen" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is
    >> E-Trust worth subscribing to versus other programs.
    >> Thanks for any input. Steve D.
    >>

    > I've used Etrust for years.

    I forgot to mention. I've also been a fuckwit for years.
    Trent©, Jul 1, 2004
  9. Stephen

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Etrust is awesome, but beware if you only have a dialup connection because
    > their update FTP server has low tolerance for slow connections, and
    > frequently times out during the automated update cycle, often leaving dialup
    > users dangerously out of date with their virus protection. Broadband
    > connections seem to work perfectly reliable though. It's also one of the
    > least intrusive, least impacting on system resources of any antivirus
    > program I've seen in the last serveral years. However, the "Etrust
    > EZ-Antivirus" program they have that is marketed to the general
    > consumer/single user market, may use a different update server, and may not
    > have the same problems as the corporate Etrust version does with dialup
    > connections. As long as you have broadband I highly recommend it.

    I love and recommend ETrust, but it misses viruses that
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com finds and eliminates. False positives or
    missed negatives?
    mcp6453, Jul 2, 2004
  10. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > Etrust is awesome, but beware if you only have a dialup connection

    because
    > > their update FTP server has low tolerance for slow connections, and
    > > frequently times out during the automated update cycle, often leaving

    dialup
    > > users dangerously out of date with their virus protection. Broadband
    > > connections seem to work perfectly reliable though. It's also one of the
    > > least intrusive, least impacting on system resources of any antivirus
    > > program I've seen in the last serveral years. However, the "Etrust
    > > EZ-Antivirus" program they have that is marketed to the general
    > > consumer/single user market, may use a different update server, and may

    not
    > > have the same problems as the corporate Etrust version does with dialup
    > > connections. As long as you have broadband I highly recommend it.

    > I love and recommend ETrust, but it misses viruses that
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com finds and eliminates. False positives or
    > missed negatives?

    Occasionally all AV programs miss a virus or two that others pick up. That
    seems to be a regular occurrence throughout the history of AV programs, and
    I've seen posts over the years for just about every major AV program that
    claim one missed a virus that another caught. When in doubt, check the ICSA
    Labs website for it's monthly test reports on every major AV program out
    there. Here is their testing criteria page. Also look at Virus Bulletin,
    which does some pretty in-depth testing too.

    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certification/avscancrit.shtml

    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml
    Thor, Jul 2, 2004
  11. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:58:56 GMT, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I love and recommend ETrust, but it misses viruses that
    >http://housecall.trendmicro.com finds and eliminates. False positives or
    >missed negatives?

    That's been my experience also...with the Sasser.b virus. Norton,
    McAfee, and Etrust didn't see it. Housecall did.

    One minor annoyance about Etrust...

    You can't install and run it unless yer connected to the Internet. It
    won't let you run the program until you've downloaded the definitions.
    This makes it pretty much useless if you already have a pesky virus or
    worm on the machine.

    They should include the latest definition with their latest program
    version.

    My current procedure is to run Etrust on the machine...and follow up
    once a week with a thorough check with Housecalls.

    Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004
  12. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    wrote:

    >Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust worth
    >subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.
    >Steve D.

    I've used Etrust for years. In general, its probably the best out
    there.

    They have not included ISafe...which checks incoming email.

    Its well worth the money.

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004
  13. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004
  14. Stephen

    anna keynow Guest

    wrote:

    >Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust worth
    >subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.
    >Steve D.

    http:www.grisoft.com

    Free to home users, I have been very pleased with it so far. I've
    used it since the Cai outfit went pay only. In my experience both
    products have shown themselves to be superior to Norton although, I
    haven't used that since my years worth that came with this system, ran
    out.
    I was about to say how crap Norton was just now because of the number
    of people who have asked me to "fix this - I think I've got a virus"
    but then I realised that a lot of the problems (all perhaps) are
    related to the blasé atitude of these people who think I'm being
    melodramatic when I say, "the moment you get your new PC on line, got
    straight to the windows update service and get the neccesary patches
    and go to the virus programme's website and get the latest definitions
    before doing a damned thing on the 'net".
    After the last one, I've decided I'm not going to clear malware off
    anyone's computer without some compensation because I've noticed an
    atitude of "hey I'll just ring anna keynow because she fixed this last
    time", or similar sentiment. Something I'm sure a lot of you are
    familiar with but, sorry... I digress.

    My point is, after much rambling, that I found AVG to be very good for
    the average moron... oops, I mean average ignoramus... shittt... I
    mean home user. (could've used 'del', I guess) <g>
    -+Anna+-
    PS: Anyone used Stinger.exe as a malware removal tool? I used it for
    the first time recently and it cleaned up Zafi very easily.
    anna keynow, Jul 3, 2004
  15. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:58:56 GMT, mcp6453 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I love and recommend ETrust, but it misses viruses that
    > >http://housecall.trendmicro.com finds and eliminates. False positives or
    > >missed negatives?

    > That's been my experience also...with the Sasser.b virus. Norton,
    > McAfee, and Etrust didn't see it. Housecall did.

    never had this problem, Have you tried using it in safe mode? If I'm
    scanning an XP machine w/NTFS I always use safe mode, because it makes it
    far less likely that a virus will be in memory, and if the virus has any
    evasion or stealth code that can prevent AV programs from seeing it, or if
    they destabilize the OS so much that it affects running programs (IIRC,
    Sasser really fucks up a machine's stability) then safe mode is the best way
    to get a reliable scan. If the system is FAT32, or a Win9X box, I use F-Prot
    anyway to avoid windows issues.

    > One minor annoyance about Etrust...
    >
    > You can't install and run it unless yer connected to the Internet. It
    > won't let you run the program until you've downloaded the definitions.
    > This makes it pretty much useless if you already have a pesky virus or
    > worm on the machine.

    Dunno about the downloadable EZ-Antivirus, but the business-class E-Trust
    doesn't have
    this problem. Doesn't require an internet connection to install it or run
    it. I always carry the latest definitions on CD with me out on calls, so I
    don't have to rely on a customer's ability to access the net. I can install
    and run E-Trust, install the definitions from CD, and run it in safe mode to
    scan the system. That works well for me. When I go out on a call, I have the
    following on CD at all times

    F-Prot with the lastest definitions, and it's runnable from the CD
    E-trust installer, and the latest E-Trust definitions
    A suite of targeted removal tools from Symantec, and also Mcafee's Stinger
    Avast free desktop edition for customers who have no antivirus protection,
    and don't want to pay for any.
    Spybot
    Adaware
    CWShredder
    HijackThis!
    Process Explorer

    > They should include the latest definition with their latest program
    > version.

    No one I am aware of recompiles their downloadable AV program installers
    with the latest defiinitions on a daily basis. It would be nice if they all
    did.
    Thor, Jul 3, 2004
  16. Stephen

    VWWall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Dunno about the downloadable EZ-Antivirus, but the business-class E-Trust
    > doesn't have
    > this problem. Doesn't require an internet connection to install it or run
    > it. I always carry the latest definitions on CD with me out on calls, so I
    > don't have to rely on a customer's ability to access the net. I can install
    > and run E-Trust, install the definitions from CD, and run it in safe mode to
    > scan the system. That works well for me. When I go out on a call, I have the
    > following on CD at all times
    >

    > F-Prot with the lastest definitions, and it's runnable from the CD
    > E-trust installer, and the latest E-Trust definitions
    > A suite of targeted removal tools from Symantec, and also Mcafee's Stinger
    > Avast free desktop edition for customers who have no antivirus protection,
    > and don't want to pay for any.
    > Spybot
    > Adaware
    > CWShredder
    > HijackThis!
    > Process Explorer

    Thor--Have you tried the ultimate boot cd from:?

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    It looks like it might be handy, since many PCs don't have a floppy to
    boot from.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    VWWall, Jul 3, 2004
  17. Stephen

    len gardener Guest

    g'day stephen,

    i've found e-trust to be the best value for money program to date, it
    has worked well for me over a number of years, hasn't let me down yet
    as bigger name programs did in the past.

    len

    snipped
    --
    happy gardening

    my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
    len gardener, Jul 3, 2004
  18. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 08:28:19 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> >I love and recommend ETrust, but it misses viruses that
    >> >http://housecall.trendmicro.com finds and eliminates. False positives or
    >> >missed negatives?

    >> That's been my experience also...with the Sasser.b virus. Norton,
    >> McAfee, and Etrust didn't see it. Housecall did.

    >never had this problem, Have you tried using it in safe mode?

    No. But there should be no need to do this...for a simple detect.
    Eliminating the virus is a different matter...as sometimes its
    necessary to go into safe mode for that.

    And detection was no problem for Housecalls...although I had to go in
    and remove the virus manually.

    >If I'm
    >scanning an XP machine w/NTFS I always use safe mode, because it makes it
    >far less likely that a virus will be in memory, and if the virus has any
    >evasion or stealth code that can prevent AV programs from seeing it, or if
    >they destabilize the OS so much that it affects running programs (IIRC,
    >Sasser really fucks up a machine's stability) then safe mode is the best way
    >to get a reliable scan. If the system is FAT32, or a Win9X box, I use F-Prot
    >anyway to avoid windows issues.
    >

    >> One minor annoyance about Etrust...
    >>
    >> You can't install and run it unless yer connected to the Internet. It
    >> won't let you run the program until you've downloaded the definitions.
    >> This makes it pretty much useless if you already have a pesky virus or
    >> worm on the machine.

    >Dunno about the downloadable EZ-Antivirus, but the business-class E-Trust
    >doesn't have
    >this problem.

    I never knew that had 2 different versions. What version do you have?
    How is it different from 6.2?

    > Doesn't require an internet connection to install it or run
    >it. I always carry the latest definitions on CD with me out on calls, so I
    >don't have to rely on a customer's ability to access the net. I can install
    >and run E-Trust, install the definitions from CD, and run it in safe mode to
    >scan the system. That works well for me.

    Which came first...the chicken?...or the egg? lol

    What I mean is...

    You can't just browse into their site...and download a definition, can
    you? How did you get the definition the FIRST time?

    >When I go out on a call, I have the
    >following on CD at all times
    >

    >F-Prot with the lastest definitions, and it's runnable from the CD
    >E-trust installer, and the latest E-Trust definitions
    >A suite of targeted removal tools from Symantec, and also Mcafee's Stinger
    >Avast free desktop edition for customers who have no antivirus protection,
    >and don't want to pay for any.
    >Spybot
    >Adaware
    >CWShredder
    >HijackThis!
    >Process Explorer

    We only vary a little on technique.

    I always start by installing Kerio...or my favorite du jour firewall.
    I like to see what's being attempted on the computer...especially on
    internal calls. Then I install the trial version of E-Trust for them.
    For all E-Trust has done for me, I figure I might as well try to send
    some business their way.

    I never use Spybot.

    Then I finish by setting up a maintenance folder with shortcuts to all
    the programs...so they can do a weekly routine themselves.

    >> They should include the latest definition with their latest program
    >> version.

    >No one I am aware of recompiles their downloadable AV program installers
    >with the latest defiinitions on a daily basis. It would be nice if they all
    >did.

    I really didn't mean to say daily. But at least fairly current...so
    that the program can install and run as a stand alone. McAfee, etc.
    do that...right out of the retail box.

    Trent©, Jul 4, 2004
  19. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:16:34 GMT, VWWall <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    >
    >It looks like it might be handy, since many PCs don't have a floppy to
    >boot from.
    >
    >Virg Wall

    You can easily create a boot CD with Nero, Virg.

    But, more often than not, a bootable CD is more of a hindrance than a
    help.

    However, I'm sure Thor carries many additional programs with him on
    CD. I know that I do.

    Trent©, Jul 4, 2004
  20. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    > Thor--Have you tried the ultimate boot cd from:?
    >
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    >
    > It looks like it might be handy, since many PCs don't have a floppy to
    > boot from.

    Yes, I have that. Thanks anyway! And yes it is very handy sometimes.
    Thor, Jul 4, 2004