Best Anti Virus? Help

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by jeremy, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    I'm starting to question my own judgement. I still think, and tell
    people,
    that I recommend AVG above all others; first of all, it's free for
    stand-alone home desktop users. Second of all, it doesn't really
    screw up
    that often.

    But Symantec/Norton is still so prevelant. I never liked it, when
    something
    goes wrong with it, it goes very wrong, and I think it's over-priced.

    McCaffee I'm not a big fan of, of course there are Trend Micro,
    Kaperski and
    other fringe (yet reputable) programs.

    Still, people look at me like I've got two heads when I say that I
    don't
    like Symantec/Norton. Name recognition goes a long way.

    What say you?

    jeremy, Nov 27, 2009

  2. Norton had gotten horrible and had also gotten a justly deserved
    horrible reputation, but that was 4-5 years ago. They have completely
    turned the product around since about 2007, and there is very broad
    agreement among pretty much ALL of the evaluation sites that their
    product is either the best now or one of the best (note: This applies
    only to the last 2-3 years; if you go back further, Norton was indeed
    "God awful"). The product I recommend is Norton Internet Security.
    It's not name recognition; rather, your perception of Norton is outdated.

    For "free" products, Avast and AVG have been the usual products of
    choice, but that, too, has changed. In October, Microsoft released
    their own free AV product, and it's now generally considered to be the
    free product of choice. It's name is Microsoft Security Essentials, and
    it can be downloaded at Microsoft.com. It's free, but it only installs
    on fully activated "genuine" copies of XP or later that pass all of the
    Microsoft Product Activation (PA), Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) and
    Software Protection Platform (SPP) validation tests.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2009