    Thanx.

    John Williams

    P.S. Where did the term "adapter" come from? What's being adapted?

    John Williams, Jun 8, 2007

  2. John Williams

    Guest

    On 8-Jun-2007, "John Williams" <> wrote:

    > I'm looking for unbiased opinions as to what reasonably-priced adapter,
    > offering increased receiving sensitivity and increased transmission power,
    > my neighbor should purchase.

    I'm using a ZyDAS chipset USB wireless adapter over a long
    range link where other adapters haven't been able to hold the
    connection. It was 9.99UKPDS (about 20USD) and marketed
    in a WealNET brand box. Think WealNET whio had a website
    have been taken over, but there are other brands with this
    chipset.
    It worked better than D-Link and Netgear.
    Useful tips if the link is marginal, add a curved reflector
    (aluminium kitchen foil) and use static IP addressing rather
    than "let Windows manage this connection" zero config
    mode.
    Main advantage of USB adapters is that you can use a USB
    lead and position them for best signal strength and quality.
    Using the mfrs. utilities rather than zero config usually gets
    you the mfrs control panel with rather more informative
    values for signal strength and quality, not just zero configs
    weak, good, etc and you can see in real time how the
    values are fluctuating, and over what range of values.
    If you use static IP addressing you don't need to lease
    DHCP IP addresses, so if there is a dropout, recovery seems
    quicker, and dropouts less noticeable.
    ..

    , Jun 8, 2007

  3. Hi
    First make sure that he is using the right type of adapter.
    I need a Wireless Card what should I get?
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wcard
    Then depending on the type I would get one of these.
    CardBus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162128
    USB _ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162130
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162111
    If needed the Cardbus and the pci can be fitted with external antenna.
    Like this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162170
    Disclaimer, I have no connection with any of the Brands or the vendors that
    I recommend or link to, the links serving as a basic example and frame of
    reference.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 8, 2007
  4. <> wrote in message

    > On 8-Jun-2007, "John Williams" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for unbiased opinions as to what reasonably-priced adapter,
    >> offering increased receiving sensitivity and increased transmission
    >> power,
    >> my neighbor should purchase.

    > I'm using a ZyDAS chipset USB wireless adapter over a long
    > range link where other adapters haven't been able to hold the
    > connection. It was 9.99UKPDS (about 20USD) and marketed
    > in a WealNET brand box. Think WealNET whio had a website
    > have been taken over, but there are other brands with this
    > chipset.
    > It worked better than D-Link and Netgear.
    > Useful tips if the link is marginal, add a curved reflector
    > (aluminium kitchen foil) and use static IP addressing rather
    > than "let Windows manage this connection" zero config
    > mode.
    > Main advantage of USB adapters is that you can use a USB
    > lead and position them for best signal strength and quality.
    > Using the mfrs. utilities rather than zero config usually gets
    > you the mfrs control panel with rather more informative
    > values for signal strength and quality, not just zero configs
    > weak, good, etc and you can see in real time how the
    > values are fluctuating, and over what range of values.
    > If you use static IP addressing you don't need to lease
    > DHCP IP addresses, so if there is a dropout, recovery seems
    > quicker, and dropouts less noticeable.
    > .

    Thanks for the suggestion. Zydas chipset sounds like a winner.

    I spent an hour or more on the net yesterday trying to find adapters with
    the Zydas chipset. But unfortunately, most adapter makers don't divulge
    that info. I did find a list of manufacturers using Atheros (who owns Zydas
    now) chipsets but the only one I recognized was Hawkins. I may find
    something yet.

    Incidentally, can I use static addressing when connecting to a public WIFI?

    Now to read the references in Jack's post below. Maybe they'll have
    something useful.

    Thanks again for your response.

    John Williams

    John Williams, Jun 9, 2007