Best Accounting Software

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jed Meisterdude, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. For what size business?

    Jed Meisterdude, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Jed Meisterdude

    Thor Guest

    Jed Meisterdude wrote:

    > For what size business?
    >

    > "Peter Skinner" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >>
    >> cheers Peter

    With that spelling ability, the other question might be why ?
    Thor, Oct 9, 2004

  3. Jed Meisterdude

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    >
    >> For what size business?
    >>

    >> "Peter Skinner" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >>>
    >>> cheers Peter
    >>>

    > With that spelling ability, the other question might be why ?

    Lol, good point.

    (OT) Jedi Dude - I know you're trying - and you deserve credit for trying.
    But, follow this thread - can you see how (why) top posting totally f*cks up
    the conversation :)
    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 9, 2004
  4. Jed Meisterdude

    Guest

    On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:46:21 -0700, Peter Skinner wrote:

    > Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...

    SQL-Ledger - high quality, mature, free, open source, Perl-based
    accounting package that uses a browser front end and a postgre SQL
    database back end.

    http://sql-ledger.org

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  5. Jed Meisterdude

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:40:23 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:46:21 -0700, Peter Skinner wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...

    >SQL-Ledger - high quality, mature, free, open source, Perl-based
    >accounting package that uses a browser front end and a postgre SQL
    >database back end.
    >
    >http://sql-ledger.org

    Didn't he ask for NZ conditions? Somehow, however, me thinks you're
    not posting this to be helpful...
    Gurble, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Jed Meisterdude

    Harry Guest

    Peter Skinner wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...

    Quickbooks Pro.
    Supports multiple currencies which is really handy if you live
    in the real world.
    Harry, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Jed Meisterdude

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >
    > cheers Peter

    MYOB has a big share I think. Attache,Quicken and Jade are all suited
    for our market. Maybe something produced here. Support NZ knowledge
    economy etc.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 9, 2004
  8. Jed Meisterdude

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Peter Skinner said the following on 10/10/2004 14:46:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >
    > cheers Peter

    While you havnt provided many details and some will be sarcastic about
    that never mind.

    I had very good use out of Quick Books Pro. It is suitable to NZ
    conditions and general business activities (excluding manufacture with
    bill of material requirements) up to medium sized business operations.
    Collector_NZ, Oct 9, 2004
  9. Jed Meisterdude

    Guest

    On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:28:16 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:40:23 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:46:21 -0700, Peter Skinner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...

    >>SQL-Ledger - high quality, mature, free, open source, Perl-based
    >>accounting package that uses a browser front end and a postgre SQL
    >>database back end.
    >>
    >>http://sql-ledger.org
    >>

    > Didn't he ask for NZ conditions? Somehow, however, me thinks you're
    > not posting this to be helpful...

    I think it's a very good package that can easily be tailored for NZ
    conditions.

    http://sql-ledger.org/cgi-bin/nav.pl?page=features.html&title=Features

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    , Oct 9, 2004
  10. Jed Meisterdude

    geoffm Guest

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:46:21 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >
    >cheers Peter

    It depends on your business and what you do. We used MYOB in a
    previous job, for 5 years or so and they are still using it, and it
    was poor for our type of business - couldn't do multiple price levels
    (eg retailers, trade plus general public prices). Didn't have an
    estimating function for doing and tracking quotes (Quickbooks does).
    Couldn't handle our combination of stock, bought in items and special
    items at all - stuffed up the stock levels. Didn't handle progress
    payments and retentions in the construction industry. There were
    workarounds but it was a kludgy, and a risk of stuff slipping through
    the cracks.
    It would be fine for a business selling time, eg professional
    services. I used to use Quickbooks years ago, and it is easier to use
    and better suited for a trades company. 2 of my subcontractors used it
    (1 installer, 1 reasonable sized sheet metal shop) and found it
    excellent.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Oct 9, 2004
  11. Jed Meisterdude

    Sharknwfk Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...

    Cashbook complete.

    www.acclaim.co.nz

    New Zealand made, inexpensive. Download free trial for home use or usually
    on PC World's cover disc.

    --
    Sharknwfk
    Sharknwfk, Oct 9, 2004
  12. Jed Meisterdude

    Allistar Guest

    bAZZ wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >>
    >> cheers Peter
    >>

    > MYOB has a big share I think. Attache,Quicken and Jade are all suited
    > for our market. Maybe something produced here. Support NZ knowledge
    > economy etc.
    >
    > bAZZ

    There is an accounting package called Jade suited to our market?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 9, 2004
  13. Jed Meisterdude

    David Butler Guest

    I'm glad you had the same trouble with MYOB,

    We use it in our Manufacturing, Wholesale, and Retail Company, and have a
    few problems

    David Butler, Oct 9, 2004
  14. In <> Peter Skinner wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >
    > cheers Peter

    I've never used it myself but I've seen some good reviews of MoneyWorks.
    They have a range of programs, made by a NZ company, and available for
    Mac or Windows.

    http://cognito.co.nz/

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 10, 2004
  15. Hi

    Peter Skinner, Oct 10, 2004
  16. Jed Meisterdude

    Cheetah Guest

    wrote:

    > I think it's a very good package that can easily be tailored for NZ
    > conditions.

    Easy? You call that easy?

    I really do wish SQL Ledger were up to the job. Its not. Too many open
    source projects seem to believe the price of admission is pain, and this is
    one of them. Before I get flamed - I've been looking for a serious OSS
    accounting contender for some time. While I am an unrelenting supporter of
    open source, I am also a realist - you cannot expect people to use poor
    products based on idealism.

    They are out there, must most are either impossible to install, difficult to
    use, or just plain encumbered by links to commercial databases. I really do
    wish there was something credible out there, in the same way Linux is
    credible as an OS, Mozilla is credible as a browser, and OpenOffice is
    credible as a Productivity Suite.

    I am currently in the process of writing an accounting system. Much of the
    framework used will be open source, if not the whole application. It is
    being built to cater for New Zealand companies. It will run on any platform
    that runs Java - but we are aiming to deliver it on Linux primarily.

    See my previous post about Sysmod for our latest release of our persistance
    engine and code generator used in our accounting system.

    Regards,
    Peter
    Cheetah, Oct 10, 2004
  17. Jed Meisterdude

    Ian Boag Guest

    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    >In <> Peter Skinner wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can someone please recoment accounting softare for NZ contitions...
    >>
    >> cheers Peter

    Depends totally on your business. eg are you savvy enough to run your
    own GL properly (if you're not, it just makes trouble for the
    accountant at the end of the year). At the very least you'll have to
    work with your acctnt to set up the codes and be religious about what
    gets charged where.

    If you don't know how to handle the GL properly then you will probably
    have trouble with creditors as well as they interface with all the GL
    codes.

    If by "accounts" you mainly mean debtors and invoicing then they all
    work. If you need quotes/estimating etc that's a specific requirement.

    A half-way house that many people find acceptable is to run a cashbook
    alongside debtors/stock/invoicing. Think of a csahbook as a pseudo-GL.
    Gives enough info to get a bit of a handle on P&L plus enough info for
    the GST return.

    Stock is the other one that is very industry-dependent. eg in the
    motor trade (I do work for car wreckers) it's all a bit hard unless
    the stock and invoicing can do a three level (make then model then
    part) classification. None of MYOB/Quickbooks/Attache/NZA Gold etc do
    that.

    For your needs, it may well be that there is a specially written
    package that is used by a lot of people in your line of business. If
    so it will be streets better that a generic solution although probably
    more expensive.
    Ian Boag, Oct 10, 2004