Best accessory light for Canon Optura 40 ???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by roger beniot, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. roger beniot

    roger beniot Guest

    I'm looking into getting the Canon Optura 40. I want also get an
    accessory light that works w/ the accessory shoe. From Canon's
    website there seems to be three options

    Canon Video Flash Light VFL-1 (camcorder light and flash for stills)
    Canon VL-10Li Video Light (requires external power supply)
    Canon VL-3 Video Light (powered from camcorder battery)

    I'm hoping someone can let me know which is appropriate for my
    standard usage.

    I want to be able to film indoors (holidays, parties, etc)… I'm also
    looking to be able to film outside in lower light situations (dusk,
    night, heavy clouds, etc). I also want it to be fairly easy to use
    and allow me to quickly attach it and use it. I won't be using the
    Optura 40 for stills so the idea of having a flash for stills is
    really not important).

    How far do each of the lights project? Can I expect to see subjects
    10 feet away at night or do they have to stand right in front of the
    camera?

    I don't understand how the VL-10LI works w/ an external battery… Do I
    have to carry an extra battery for it to plug into? Do I carry the
    battery in my hand/pocket or can it attach to the camera some way? Is
    there an owners manual available on the web w/ more details (so far
    I've had no luck trying to find it)?

    Thanks in advance,
    Roger
    roger beniot, Oct 25, 2004