    best. One last thing, this will be for a digital setup, but assume the
    sensor is full frame like on the 1Ds. Hopefully this doesn't get out
    of control! --Ed

    Ed, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Ed

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Ed)

    >what 5 Canon lenses would make the best well rounded
    >setup. I'm not interested in fisheye, macro, or lenses over 200-300MM.

    You can cover this limited focal range with three "L" series zooms, something
    like the 16-35 f/2.8, the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS or the 70-200
    f/4 L. I have something similar to this with older "L" lenses, the 17-28
    f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS ... the optics are excellent but the
    weight and bulk is a hassle at times when traveling and I also have several
    non-zooms for different conditions, including the 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, 85 f/1.8,
    100 f/2.8 macro and three telephotos (300 f/4, 400 f/5.6, 500 f/4 IS).

    If you feel you need at least one lens faster than the f/2.8 zooms get
    something like the 50 f/1.4 or the 85 f/1.8 or the 100 f/2. Sometimes fast is
    nice. I love the 85 f/1.8 for street shooting, for example.

    If you don't like the zooms due to weight or cost I'd suggest a 5 lens kit of
    fixed focal length lenses like the 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2 (I'd
    prefer the f/2.8 macro myself, but you said no to macro) and 200 f/2.8.

    Bring money, lots of money :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Ed

    reg-john Guest

    14 2.8L
    16-35 2.8L
    50 1.4
    28-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS

    reg-john, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Ed

    Scott Elliot Guest

    The obvious 3 that cover your range are:
    16-35/2.8 L
    24-70/2.8 L
    70-200/2.8 L IS

    That does not get you to the 300 mm focal length, so you could consider
    replacing the 70-200/2.8 with a 100-400 L IS. Other lenses in that range
    that would warrant consideration would be Sigma 50-500 EX, 100-300/4 EX or
    80-400 OS EX, any of which have similar to or better than the optical
    quality of the Canon 100-400.

    The remaining two lenses I would choose for more specific purposes. For
    example the 28-135 IS is a very good travel lens to take when you only have
    room to take one lens and camera. For the fifth lens I would get a sharp
    prime lens in my favourite focal length. For me that would be the 100/2.8
    macro lens, but you don't need macro and 100 mm might not be your most
    favoured length.

    Scott Elliot
    http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

    Scott Elliot, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Ed

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Start with the 70-200 f2.8 IS.
    Then buy other lenses based on what YOU need as opposed to what I need.
    If you are going to buy the best, know what the hell you are buying it for,
    instead of blindly following the advice given by others - who have neither
    the same budget nor the same interests you do.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 4, 2003