    don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
    prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
    them myself.

    Raster, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Raster

    Greg Kamer Guest

    "Raster"
    > I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
    > printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio.

    > don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
    > prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
    > them myself.

    Raster,
    Take a look at the Canon i960

    Greg Kamer, Dec 1, 2003

  3. I don't think you are going to approach the .24 mark with anything available
    right now. Costco and others count on bulk to break even at that point,
    just to get you into the store. I like the HP 100 series of dedicated 4x6
    printers, although you will pay a premium if you use HP's ink catridge. I
    get about 70 pics out of a 34.95 cartridge, and then of course you must
    factor in the cost of paper. I've gotten the HP cartridges on sale for as
    little of $20 each, but you have to stock up because those sales are few and
    far between.

    gilbert grape, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Raster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Raster wrote:

    > I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is
    > capable of printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best
    > cost/quality ratio. I don't mean the initial cost put the cost of
    > ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6 prints at Costco for .24 can I get a
    > better or close to that price print them myself.

    Forget about trying to print cheaper than Costco, Wal
    Mart etc. it's just not possible, unless quality is not an
    issue and you're willing to use third-party and/or refilled
    cartridges (bad idea!) and recycled paper (yuck!)

    You can get a used HP Photosmart 100 (or 130) for as
    little as $50 on EBay. Great little printer!! If you want the
    best quality, however, you have to use HP Premium Plus
    paper, which is rather expensive. Not to mention that the
    #57 tri-color ink cartridge retails for $34.95 (but you can
    find it discounted) and you will only get about 100 prints,
    if you're lucky. So, a print will cost you at least 50-60
    cents (ink+paper), but you'll get better quality (and, above
    all, control) compared to a print from Costco (which, at
    least by my experience, usually sucks.)

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Raster

    Raster Guest

    Funny you mentioned that printer, I've been looking into Cannon I960 quite a
    bit, I like the fact that it has six tanks, and online you can buy the tanks
    for 4.95 each. Are you happy with the quality this printer produces?

    Raster, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Raster

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
    >printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio. I
    >don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
    >prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
    >them myself.

    Digital prints at Costco for 4x6 is 14 cents.

    zbzbzb, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Raster

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:03:07 -0800, RE: Re: Best 4x6 Printer "Greg
    Kamer" <> wrote:

    >"Raster"
    >> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
    >> printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio.

    >> don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
    >> prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
    >> them myself.
    >>

    >Raster,
    > Take a look at the Canon i960

    Someone once told me that the Canon (and Epson) printers are prone to
    print-head damage if an ink tank runs dry. Has anyone heard or read
    anything about this? Is it true? If so, how reliable is the software
    that shows ink level in the tanks?

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

    Vic Dura, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Raster

    JMooreTS Guest

    >I've been looking into Cannon I960 quite a
    >bit, I like the fact that it has six tanks, and online you can buy the tanks
    >for 4.95 each.

    I have the i960 and am very pleased with it. Where are you buying the
    cartridges at $4.95 each? The best Ebay price seems to hover around $7 - $8
    per cartridge.

    Thanks,

    John Moore

    JMooreTS, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Raster

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    "Raster" <> wrote in news::

    > I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is
    > capable of printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best
    > cost/quality ratio. I don't mean the initial cost put the cost of
    > ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6 prints at Costco for .24 can I get a
    > better or close to that price print them myself.

    The HiTi dye-sub printers do a good job, but cost per 4X6 is $0.40. Their
    basic printer costs $129 and does a 4X6 in around 90 seconds. They're
    supposed to be coming out with a new line of dye-subs during the 1st
    quarter of 2004 that will do 4X6, 5X7, and 6X8 prints.

    Jeff Shoaf, Dec 3, 2003
  10. Raster

    Nick C Guest

    Raster wrote:

    > I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
    > printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio. I
    > don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
    > prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
    > them myself.

    For almost a year I was using the HP130 printer. I would use it, along
    with the accessory attachment that will allow its use in an automobile.

    When I take 'street' pictures, I've often found that the people I
    photograph would like to have a picture of themselves. The HP130 served
    that purpose. In fact I was so satisfied by its performance, last week I
    bought the latest model HP245 and gave the HP130 to a friend. The HP245
    not only makes color prints but will also make very good black and white
    prints. I use both Kodak Ultima Picture Paper and HP Premium Plus Glossy
    Photo Paper; whichever is handy at the time of purchase. I generally buy
    several hundred sheets of either packaged paper at a time.

    I like to take my pictures using film and process my film pictures
    (which would be like taking a digital Raw picture) and use a digicam to
    make on-the-spot 4x6 prints to give to those who would like to have a
    picture. As for using Wal-Mart or Costco make my prints, no way.

    Nick

    Nick C, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Raster

    zbzbzb Guest

    >For almost a year I was using the HP130 printer. I would use it, along
    >with the accessory attachment that will allow its use in an automobile.
    >
    >When I take 'street' pictures, I've often found that the people I
    >photograph would like to have a picture of themselves. The HP130 served
    >that purpose. In fact I was so satisfied by its performance, last week I
    >bought the latest model HP245 and gave the HP130 to a friend. The HP245
    >not only makes color prints but will also make very good black and white
    >prints. I use both Kodak Ultima Picture Paper and HP Premium Plus Glossy
    >Photo Paper; whichever is handy at the time of purchase. I generally buy
    >several hundred sheets of either packaged paper at a time.

    >I like to take my pictures using film and process my film pictures
    >(which would be like taking a digital Raw picture) and use a digicam to
    >make on-the-spot 4x6 prints to give to those who would like to have a
    >picture. As for using Wal-Mart or Costco make my prints, no way.
    >
    >Nick

    Costco prints that I get look alot better than those HP prints.

    zbzbzb, Dec 4, 2003
  12. Raster

    Greg Kamer Guest

    "Raster" <> wrote in message

    > Funny you mentioned that printer, I've been looking into Cannon I960 quite

    > bit, I like the fact that it has six tanks, and online you can buy the

    tanks
    > for 4.95 each. Are you happy with the quality this printer produces?
    >
    > "Greg Kamer" <> wrote in message
    > > Raster,
    > > Take a look at the Canon i960

    Raster,
    Yes, I'm very happy with the Canon i960..... It uses 6
    individual colored ink cartridges, so you only have to replace the ones that
    run out at a cost of about $11.00 per, verse replacing a tri-colored
    cartridge that might only run out of 1 color but cost your $35.00+ to
    replace.

    The printer driver software monitors all the cartridges and displays a
    warning when one or more fall to about 20%, so you have time to finish a
    print job without running out of ink. On my old printer, if it ran out, you
    didn't notice until your photo was being printed and came out toasted. It
    will tell you what colors are in need of replacing before they actually need
    replacing. You can also open the driver software and check the levels of
    each cartridge any time you want.

    Print quality has been excellent. Side by side, it is hard to tell with the
    naked eye which is i960 and which is a photo lab print unless you look at
    the back to see the Canon logo on the paper.

    Print speed can't be beat. A beautiful 4x6 print in about 35 seconds. 8x10
    takes about a minute. Extremely quiet while printing as well.

    The i960 comes with a 4x6 paper adapter. You can load up to I think 20
    sheets of 4x6 photo paper into it. It then slides down into the paper feed
    slot. You can than load 8x11 paper behind that. This allows you to have 2
    sizes, types of paper loaded at the same time. The adapter has a dial you
    turn. Turning the dial to the left "print" drops it into the slot and feeds
    the 4x6 paper for printing photos. Turning it to the right "Removes" lifts
    it out of the slot and allows the standard 8x11 paper to feed for printing.

    The software that comes with the printer is very basic, but also very easy
    to use. Basically a 4 step process.

    1. Open the program and go to the folder where your images are. Thumbnails
    of the images are displayed. You then select the images you want to print,
    and also the number of copies of each image.

    2. Select the paper size and type (4x6 Glossy Photo) or whatever your using.

    3. Photo Lay Out. Do you want a 4x6 borderless or bordered, landscape or
    portrait, etc..... You can also select to print an index sheet of the
    photos, printing 20, 48 or 80 images per page. The more you print, the
    smaller they are (duh! :) )

    4. Print Select print and as I said, 35 seconds later you have a beautiful,
    photo lab quality print sitting in the out tray.

    Persoanlly, I think you could do a lot worse then this printer, but you
    can't do better for the price, quality and features.

    Hope this helps.

    Greg Kamer, Dec 5, 2003