    appreciated.

    Thanks

    Jim

    Jim, May 25, 2004

  2. "Jim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but any
    > constructive input would be welcome....
    >
    > I'm looking to get a new digital camera and thought I'd go for
    > something in the 4.0mp range. I'm no 'photographer' more of a happy
    > snapper so my only priority is image quality when point and shooting
    > and also indoor pictures.
    >
    > I was thinking of the Canon A80 which gets good reviews apart from
    > some concern on shutter lag. Is this really such a problem and would I
    > be better spending a little more and going for the S50.
    >
    > Any other suggetions of cameras around the £250 mark would also be
    > appreciated.

    I really like the C-40Z by Olympus. You'll save some dough if you can find
    this two year-old model. Now selling on ebay for $170 but was selling new
    for $600.

    this old user, May 25, 2004

  3. Jim

    Lung Fish Guest

    Canon G3

    Lung Fish, May 25, 2004
  4. Jim

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > Know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but any
    > constructive input would be welcome....
    >
    > I'm looking to get a new digital camera and thought I'd go for
    > something in the 4.0mp range. I'm no 'photographer' more of a happy
    > snapper so my only priority is image quality when point and shooting
    > and also indoor pictures.
    >
    > I was thinking of the Canon A80 which gets good reviews apart from
    > some concern on shutter lag. Is this really such a problem and would I
    > be better spending a little more and going for the S50.

    I like the A80, I use one at work. You can get round the lag by pre-focusing
    or using the manual focus control. It is the mass of manual controls on the
    A80 that makes it stand out from the crowd. Also; I have printed up to 9" by
    6" and the quality is superb. (not as good as my G5 though).

    What compact digital camera doesn't have lag? I have only used 5 of them and
    found lag on all of them.

    John

    Eatmorepies, May 25, 2004
  5. Jim

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (Jim) wrote:

    >Know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but any
    >constructive input would be welcome....
    >
    >I'm looking to get a new digital camera and thought I'd go for
    >something in the 4.0mp range. I'm no 'photographer' more of a happy
    >snapper so my only priority is image quality when point and shooting
    >and also indoor pictures.
    >
    >I was thinking of the Canon A80 which gets good reviews apart from
    >some concern on shutter lag. Is this really such a problem and would I
    >be better spending a little more and going for the S50.
    >
    >Any other suggetions of cameras around the £250 mark would also be
    >appreciated.

    I'm still impressed with the now out-of-production C4040 from Oly. It
    produced very clean photos, particularly at night or in dim lighting.

    Should be $200, if that, on ebay? But I didn't like that a RAW mode
    wasn't designed in. The C5050 is darned cheap, as well, about now. And
    it does have RAW/ORF.

    Mark Johnson, May 26, 2004