    Canon EOS 20D).

    TIA.

    Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder, Aug 15, 2005

  2. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:50:45 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
    <> wrote:

    >I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about to buy
    >a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I read a review
    >from someone who had trouble with this card shooting an airshow where the
    >temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the camera to make the card
    >work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you recommend either a good card or
    >a good website where I can read reviews (this guy had read all the reviews
    >on the SanDISK card but no one mentioned heat issues). Of course the problem
    >COULD have been expansion in his camera somehow causing a faulty electrical
    >connection with the card but I have no way of knowing that (he was using a
    >Canon EOS 20D).

    Get the SanDisk Extreme III.

    SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards are tested in extreme
    temperature ranges from -13 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit so that they
    can be used to shoot photos in any weather condition

    http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext3-cf.asp

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Dick Snyder

    SleeperMan Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:50:45 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about
    >> to buy a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I
    >> read a review from someone who had trouble with this card shooting
    >> an airshow where the temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the
    >> camera to make the card work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you
    >> recommend either a good card or a good website where I can read
    >> reviews (this guy had read all the reviews on the SanDISK card but
    >> no one mentioned heat issues). Of course the problem COULD have been
    >> expansion in his camera somehow causing a faulty electrical
    >> connection with the card but I have no way of knowing that (he was
    >> using a Canon EOS 20D).

    > Get the SanDisk Extreme III.
    >
    > SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards are tested in extreme
    > temperature ranges from -13 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit so that they
    > can be used to shoot photos in any weather condition

    that's true, but rumors are that they are tend to fail.
    Maybe it's camera's fault for overheating, not card's?

    SleeperMan, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Dick Snyder

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Dick Snyder wrote ...
    >
    > I was about to buy a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card ...
    >when I read a review from someone who had trouble with this
    >card shooting an airshow where the temp was 92 degrees.

    I use the Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB, Extreme II 2 GB and various Lexar 1-2
    GB cards from 32x to 80x and have never had a card problem, even
    shooting in the desert at 105 - 110 F for many days this spring and
    summer or when shooting in the low teens last winter. So I personally
    don't think it's the card.

    >He had to keep cooling the camera to make the card
    >work. This was a big surprise to me.

    The Ultra II is tested at 0 - 70 C so should be good out to 158 F. The
    camera will quit long before that. Hell, you'll quit long before that
    :) As John points out, the Extreme is rated for a wider range (up to
    185 F) but this most likely isn't the problem.

    Even if the temperature was hotter the card wouldn't fail, it would
    just slow down below the rated speed (speaking from 20 years designing
    IC chips). I'm not sure what the max temp rating of the 20D is but I'm
    certain it's rated to fail long before 158 F, possibly as low as 110 F
    or lower? I shoot mostly with a 1D Mark II, which is a lot more rugged
    and sealed than a 20D, yet it's only rated from 32 - 113 F with
    humidity 85% or less, which is a joke since I've often shot with it
    colder than freezing, a few times hotter than 113 F and many times at
    100% humidity when it was raining steadily.

    >Can you recommend either a good card or
    >a good website where I can read reviews

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6270-6330

    Get the Ultra or the Extreme and start shooting :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    Thanks Bill. Ultra II it is!

    Dick Snyder, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Dick Snyder

    Mark² Guest

    "Dick Snyder" <> wrote in message
    >I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about to buy
    >a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I read a review
    >from someone who had trouble with this card shooting an airshow where the
    >temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the camera to make the card
    >work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you recommend either a good card
    >or a good website where I can read reviews (this guy had read all the
    >reviews on the SanDISK card but no one mentioned heat issues). Of course
    >the problem COULD have been expansion in his camera somehow causing a
    >faulty electrical connection with the card but I have no way of knowing
    >that (he was using a Canon EOS 20D).
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Dick Snyder

    I suspect his problems had nothing to do with the card...unless it was
    defective.
    I've used SanDisk cards from well below freezing, to 115 F.
    If there was ever a worry, it didn't concern the card.

    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  7. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:25:13 +0200, "SleeperMan"
    <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:50:45 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about
    >>> to buy a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I
    >>> read a review from someone who had trouble with this card shooting
    >>> an airshow where the temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the
    >>> camera to make the card work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you
    >>> recommend either a good card or a good website where I can read
    >>> reviews (this guy had read all the reviews on the SanDISK card but
    >>> no one mentioned heat issues). Of course the problem COULD have been
    >>> expansion in his camera somehow causing a faulty electrical
    >>> connection with the card but I have no way of knowing that (he was
    >>> using a Canon EOS 20D).

    >> Get the SanDisk Extreme III.
    >>
    >> SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards are tested in extreme
    >> temperature ranges from -13 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit so that they
    >> can be used to shoot photos in any weather condition
    >>

    >that's true, but rumors are that they are tend to fail.
    >Maybe it's camera's fault for overheating, not card's?

    Been using them for Six month's daily in my Canon and no problems...

    "A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

    _Introductions to History of the Reformation_
    Jonathan Swift
    1667-1745

    John A. Stovall, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Dick Snyder

    SleeperMan Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:25:13 +0200, "SleeperMan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> John A. Stovall wrote:

    >>> Get the SanDisk Extreme III.
    >>>
    >>> SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards are tested in extreme
    >>> temperature ranges from -13 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit so that they
    >>> can be used to shoot photos in any weather condition
    >>>

    >> that's true, but rumors are that they are tend to fail.
    >> Maybe it's camera's fault for overheating, not card's?
    >>

    > Been using them for Six month's daily in my Canon and no problems...

    Ok, so maybe you're lucky, and maybe that rumors are wrong...

    SleeperMan, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Dick Snyder

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >SleeperMan wrote ...
    >
    > ... and maybe that rumors are wrong...

    Do you have some links to these rumors (of Sandisk cards failing)?

    Often these kind of rumors don't hold up (typically operator error) but
    sometimes they turn out to be true, like the Lexar problems with
    certain Canon cameras on certain date-stamped cards, so it's always
    wise to check them out just in case :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Dick Snyder

    SleeperMan Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> SleeperMan wrote ...
    >>
    >> ... and maybe that rumors are wrong...

    > Do you have some links to these rumors (of Sandisk cards failing)?
    >
    > Often these kind of rumors don't hold up (typically operator error)
    > but sometimes they turn out to be true, like the Lexar problems with
    > certain Canon cameras on certain date-stamped cards, so it's always
    > wise to check them out just in case :)
    >
    > Bill

    no, sorry. I know i did read on some site, and also two resellers in two
    different shops told me that such cards died when they were using them for
    testing purposes in the shop. OK, i guess it could be operator error, but
    they told me that they were using other cards for years (like Ultra II)
    without single card failing...only Extreme III one.
    But, i guess if you stick this card into the camera and leave it there, it
    works. Many failings are also caused by people who download their pictures
    via card reader, which results in over and over switching from a camera to
    reader and back and again...and again...
    I bought Ultra II, also because i really don't need so extreme speed or temp
    to withstand. And at last, it is a bit cheaper.

    SleeperMan, Aug 16, 2005