    on CA (Steve?).

    Any and all opinions are welcomed on comparing the C-750UZ and Z1.

    Thanks -

    Harlen Ng, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Harlen Ng

    Jeff Guest

    I have the I have the Toshiba PDR-M700, which also has a 10X optical zoom
    This is an
    excellent camera that takes great pictures, and with features such as the
    optical zoom, a 2.5" LCD, movie with sound for unlimited time up to the
    storage limit (and playback with sound), full manual control (with aperture
    priority and shutter priority), 6 maximum resolution pictures in frames in
    2 seconds, unlimited one picture per second shooting, auto exposure
    bracketing, wireless remote control, and many others.

    For the price ($349), I could not find another camera that came close to
    this list of features.

    Jeff, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Harlen Ng

    -sTu- Guest

    I just bought the Minolta Z1 ($399). Very happy with it. Although I am just
    an amateur when it comes to photography. I like to think I have a good eye
    for detail.

    My suggestion is go to a camera shop and try both.

    --
    -sTu-

    ....and I'll never go to Sacramento again.
    - Nick (Soulbelly) of RMMP

    Oh yes Steve, I am an idiot.
    - Tom (NoSheeples)

    -sTu-, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Harlen Ng

    Joanne Guest

    "Harlen Ng" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a camera with 10X zoom and in the price range
    > of less than $700. I was going for the Olympus C-750UZ
    > ($547 - $30 merchandise card from Office Depot), but I was
    > at Fry's and saw the Minolta Dimage Z1.

    Take a look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 - 12x stabilized optical zoom, Leica
    lens, MSRP $599. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend at a nearby
    photo store, from what I've read I very well might be coming home with it
    tomorrow :)

    Just released in the US so not much in the way of reviews yet... check out
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz10-review/gallery.shtml
    for some sample pics (his review is due out today, I believe).

    Also take a look at the Panasonic forum at dpreview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

    I've never used the Minolta Z1 but I did handle it at the store - very
    lightweight and flimsy, it felt like the cheap plastic that children's toys
    are made from. Turned me off right away.

    Joanne, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Harlen Ng

    Dave Brown Guest

    Hmm, an A1 has a 7x zoom so it may not be enough reach for you, the
    price is about $750. Alternatively, I would wait for the Panasonic
    FZ-10. At 12x and image stabalization, with manual controls it will
    probably be what you are looking for. I am dying to see a dpreview
    review of this camera in any form as a 12x Leica IS zoom sounds pretty
    interesting.

    db

    Dave Brown, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Harlen Ng

    SD Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > I have the I have the Toshiba PDR-M700, which also has a 10X optical zoom
    > This is an
    > excellent camera that takes great pictures, and with features such as the
    > optical zoom, a 2.5" LCD, movie with sound for unlimited time up to the
    > storage limit (and playback with sound), full manual control (with aperture
    > priority and shutter priority), 6 maximum resolution pictures in frames in
    > 2 seconds, unlimited one picture per second shooting, auto exposure
    > bracketing, wireless remote control, and many others.
    >
    > For the price ($349), I could not find another camera that came close to
    > this list of features.

    I have this too and the only thing I can say missing in this is manual
    focus (it has 1m, 3m and infiniti as choices for manual focus). Other
    than that excellent camera..

    SD, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Joanne -

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:56:08 -0800, Joanne wrote:

    > "Harlen Ng" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a camera with 10X zoom and in the price range of less
    >> than $700. I was going for the Olympus C-750UZ ($547 - $30 merchandise
    >> card from Office Depot), but I was at Fry's and saw the Minolta Dimage
    >> Z1.

    > Take a look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 - 12x stabilized optical zoom,
    > Leica lens, MSRP $599. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend at a
    > nearby photo store, from what I've read I very well might be coming home
    > with it tomorrow :)

    I recently got a C-750uz, it is a very nice camera, I really like it but I am
    not thrilled with it.

    I bought it online at bwphoto for $449 including shipping at [1] (see
    links at the end of the post). UPS took a week to get the camera to me,
    but the bwphoto catalouge only took 3 days :-/

    The DMC-FZ10 probably will stay closer to it's MSRP price for a while,
    though the online review points to a link with pre-order price of $520 +
    shipping.

    Previously I have been using a Nikon coolpix 880 (3 MP, 2.5 optical zoom
    is small, flash is horrible, and it is getting old).

    I opted for the 750 rather than the DMC-FZ10 as it's smaller, and I needed
    the camera now ;-) I would guess that the Olympus has somewhat better image
    quality than the DMC-FZ10.

    If I move to a bigger camera I might as well get a Canon digital rebel.

    There is another thread on the DMC-FZ10, and review now posted at [2],the
    also have a C750 review [3].

    I have not taken any good test shots yet, mainly I've been playing with it
    inside the house.

    I also bought the PT-018 water housing, no one discounts them so I bought
    one at Shutterbug for $200.It is a really nice housing, the only thing
    missing is an external flash connector (but a slave flash would probably
    work). But I will use it for snorkeling/surfing pictures, and any water
    exposed areas like rafting, so I don't need an external flash for it.

    After the Coolpix 880 flash usage, the pop-up flash is fantastic, plus it
    has a hot shoe. I am able to use my slave flash (in manual mode) with the
    c750.

    Using AA batteries (on 750) is very nice. It comes with 4 1700 mAh
    batteries and a cheap charger. I bougth 8 extra 2200 mAh batteries and a
    fast charger that includes a car adapter for about $60, I see it now
    includes a batter tester at [4].

    The 750 did not come with an AC adapter, I bouth a universal adapter for
    about $35 at circuit city (radio shack probably has better and more
    universal ones).

    Pricewise, I estimate at a minimum you would want to buy the 750 + ac
    adapter + 4 more batteries (about $16 if you get just four 2200 mAh, no
    quick charger) and at least one 256mb card:

    449 + 35 + 16 + 120 = $615

    I estimate that for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 you would pay 520 + 20
    shipping, and you have to buy an extra battery of unknown price, I'd guess
    $25 (it comes with just one 680 mAh rechargeable) and a 256mb sd card for
    about $90, gives:

    519 + 20 + 25 + 90 = $654

    The things I least like about the c750 are:

    Lack of low light focus, and no AF assist lamp (not that they seem to do
    much good on other cameras). The FL-40 flash supposedly has an AF assist, but
    the Fl-40 costs about $400.

    No image stabilization - I will probably buy a mono pod, I already have a
    (cheap ass) tripod. My wife is sure to take many a blurred picture.

    XD cards - cost about twice as much as compact flash, I paid $214.86 (with
    shipping) for 2 x 256 mb at [5].

    Electronic view finder - same as the DMC FZ10; so when it's dark and you
    can't focus anyway you also can't see what you are shooting ;-)

    It does have a manual focus, but the DMC-FZ10 focus ring looks nicer (the
    750 also enlarges the center area while adjusting the manual focus).

    As compared to the coolpix menus, I miss having a "delete" screen.

    Apparently there is no way to create directories (so far, I have to
    research this further). So, for lots of pictures on a card it will be
    difficult to find or manage them.

    I miss the coolpix 3 or 10 second delay timer, the 3 seconds is nice
    for use on a tripod, the remote control can be used instead but is not
    convenient if you are just resting the camera on a wall or such to snap a
    photo.

    Links:

    [1] http://bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=olc750
    [2] http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
    [3] http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
    [4] http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
    [5] http://www.flash-memory-store.com/xdpicturecards.html

    -- Patrick Mansfield

    Patrick Mansfield, Nov 22, 2003
  8. Harlen Ng

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Harlen Ng wrote:
    > I'm looking for a camera with 10X zoom and in the price range
    > of less than $700. I was going for the Olympus C-750UZ
    > ($547 - $30 merchandise card from Office Depot), but I was
    > at Fry's and saw the Minolta Dimage Z1.
    >
    > Since I've owned a C-700UZ, the real concern I have is picture
    > quality. I'm especially worried about chromatic aberration (CA).
    > But I have found several differing reviews on the Z1, especially one
    > on CA (Steve?).
    >
    > Any and all opinions are welcomed on comparing the C-750UZ and Z1.
    >
    > Thanks -

    You might want to consider the Kodak 6490 in your comparisons.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Harlen Ng

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Brown wrote:

    > Hmm, an A1 has a 7x zoom so it may not be enough reach for you, the
    > price is about $750. Alternatively, I would wait for the Panasonic
    > FZ-10. At 12x and image stabalization, with manual controls it will
    > probably be what you are looking for. I am dying to see a dpreview
    > review of this camera in any form as a 12x Leica IS zoom sounds pretty
    > interesting.
    >
    > db
    >
    > Harlen Ng <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>I'm looking for a camera with 10X zoom and in the price range
    >>of less than $700. I was going for the Olympus C-750UZ
    >>($547 - $30 merchandise card from Office Depot), but I was
    >>at Fry's and saw the Minolta Dimage Z1.
    >>
    >>Since I've owned a C-700UZ, the real concern I have is picture
    >>quality. I'm especially worried about chromatic aberration (CA).
    >>But I have found several differing reviews on the Z1, especially one
    >>on CA (Steve?).
    >>
    >>Any and all opinions are welcomed on comparing the C-750UZ and Z1.
    >>
    >>Thanks -

    The review seems to highlight the main shortcoming of this camera which
    is the 2 mp sensor size. Amazing that they put such a small number of
    pixels in an otherwise impressive package.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 22, 2003
  10. Harlen Ng

    CCR Guest

    > The review seems to highlight the main shortcoming of this camera

    which
    > is the 2 mp sensor size. Amazing that they put such a small number of
    > pixels in an otherwise impressive package.

    Hard to tell which camerea you are referring to, but if the fz10, it is
    4 mp. The fz1 was 2mp, and it is one of the fz10's selling points.
    Craig

    CCR, Nov 23, 2003
  11. Harlen Ng

    Guest

    there are 2x and 3x telephoto addon lense kits around for the minolta
    dimage 7i camera which bring the total optical zoom of the camera up to
    14x and 21x. the dimage a1 is similar enough that you might be able to
    use the 7i's lenses on it.

    Dave Brown wrote:
    > Hmm, an A1 has a 7x zoom so it may not be enough reach for you, the
    > price is about $750. Alternatively, I would wait for the Panasonic
    > FZ-10. At 12x and image stabalization, with manual controls it will
    > probably be what you are looking for. I am dying to see a dpreview
    > review of this camera in any form as a 12x Leica IS zoom sounds pretty
    > interesting.

    >>I'm looking for a camera with 10X zoom and in the price range
    >>of less than $700. I was going for the Olympus C-750UZ
    >>($547 - $30 merchandise card from Office Depot), but I was
    >>at Fry's and saw the Minolta Dimage Z1.

    , Nov 23, 2003
  12. Harlen Ng

    Don Guest

    I also narrowed my search to the Olympus C-750UZ and the Minolta Z1.
    I ended up with the Z1 ( I see a lot of responses to your posting are
    confusing it with the A1). It was quite a bit less money and seemed
    to offer all the same specs as the Olympus.

    I've only started using it today. I'm new at this. Never owned a
    digital camera and know nothing about them, but I'm already creating
    great pictures and excellent prints, although I did use some filters
    then software to adjust the brightness, contrast, color, etc. It did
    take some trial and error experimentation, but I'm documenting all
    the adjustments I'm making to help minimize future shots.

    But so far I've only used the camera on auto. Haven't messed with all
    the manual settings, yet. I'm sure that will even further enhance my
    results.

    I like the camera. It also has a higher resolution movie mode than
    most other cameras.

    Don, Nov 23, 2003
  13. Harlen Ng

    Guest

    i recieved some email inquiries about asking where to acquire the dimage
    7i addon conversion lenses that i mentioned. here's some links to the
    ebay auctions for them:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2967304127
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2966138594
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2966897066

    > there are 2x and 3x telephoto addon lense kits around for the minolta
    > dimage 7i camera which bring the total optical zoom of the camera up
    > to 14x and 21x. the dimage a1 is similar enough that you might be able
    > to use the 7i's lenses on it.

    >> Hmm, an A1 has a 7x zoom so it may not be enough reach for you, the
    >> price is about $750. Alternatively, I would wait for the Panasonic
    >> FZ-10. At 12x and image stabalization, with manual controls it will
    >> probably be what you are looking for. I am dying to see a dpreview
    >> review of this camera in any form as a 12x Leica IS zoom sounds pretty
    >> interesting.

    , Nov 24, 2003
  14. Harlen Ng

    ron doctors Guest

    snip>>>
    > I recently got a C-750uz, it is a very nice camera, I really like it but I am
    > not thrilled with it.

    I like my C750 and have taken lots of shots in all light conditions.
    The most difficult is indoors under low light but with some care and
    understanding the limitations ( it means reading the full manual !)
    with the C750 it is doable. I have some fantastic shots including
    on-stage ambient lighting ones that I could not have got with my old
    Nikon35mm system, thanks to the 10:1 zoom. I have great shots of the
    moon setting ( hand held ).. deer running thru the meadows
    etc etc. The camera is simple to use ( my 8 yr old granddaughter
    managed to produce some great shots ) and my main gripe is the lack of
    a full manual in pocket size ( see my posting on this topic and I do
    not like a shortform manual in umpteen languages ). Do not like lack
    of a lens hood and the fact that the camera does not remember my last
    settings automatically when I shut it off. Battery life is incredible.
    The eye level viewfinder works under almost all light conditions
    except when is too dark to see.
    In summary I think Olympus have done a superb job with this model.
    If anyone would like to see some of the pix please post this newsgroup
    and I'll send the URL.
    ron

    ron doctors, Dec 4, 2003
  15. Harlen Ng

    Ante Guest

    "ron doctors" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > snip>>>
    > > I recently got a C-750uz, it is a very nice camera, I really like it but

    I am
    > > not thrilled with it.
    > >

    > I like my C750 and have taken lots of shots in all light conditions.
    > The most difficult is indoors under low light but with some care and
    > understanding the limitations ( it means reading the full manual !)
    > with the C750 it is doable. I have some fantastic shots including
    > on-stage ambient lighting ones that I could not have got with my old
    > Nikon35mm system, thanks to the 10:1 zoom. I have great shots of the
    > moon setting ( hand held ).. deer running thru the meadows
    > etc etc. The camera is simple to use ( my 8 yr old granddaughter
    > managed to produce some great shots ) and my main gripe is the lack of
    > a full manual in pocket size ( see my posting on this topic and I do
    > not like a shortform manual in umpteen languages ). Do not like lack
    > of a lens hood and the fact that the camera does not remember my last
    > settings automatically when I shut it off. Battery life is incredible.
    > The eye level viewfinder works under almost all light conditions
    > except when is too dark to see.
    > In summary I think Olympus have done a superb job with this model.
    > If anyone would like to see some of the pix please post this newsgroup
    > and I'll send the URL.
    > ron

    I'd love to see some pics, since I'm up to buying a 10X zoom camera and have
    been looking at Fujifilm s5000, Olympus C750 and Z1 from Konica. PLease post
    an URL.

    //Ante

    Ante, Dec 4, 2003
  16. Harlen Ng

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Ante wrote:

    > I'd love to see some pics, since I'm up to buying a 10X zoom camera and have
    > been looking at Fujifilm s5000, Olympus C750 and Z1 from Konica. PLease post
    > an URL.
    >
    > //Ante

    What about the Kodak DX6490? If you like I can post some pics from it.

    Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - UNICO Computer Systems
    Melbourne, Australia

    relate to the official business of my employer, UNICO Computer Systems,
    shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 4, 2003
  17. Harlen Ng

    SD Guest

    > I'd love to see some pics, since I'm up to buying a 10X zoom camera and have
    > been looking at Fujifilm s5000, Olympus C750 and Z1 from Konica. PLease post
    > an URL.
    >
    > //Ante

    My Pics from TOshiba PDR M700 (10X Zoom camera 3.2 MP - review at
    imaging-resource) - http://www.parchayi.net/interest.php?content=207

    SD, Dec 5, 2003
  18. Harlen Ng

    Jeff Guest

    The Toshiba PDR-M700 is an excellent camera, very feature-rich for the
    price. These include the 10X zoom (and 4X digital zoom), 2.5: LCD, movie
    with sound, extensive manual control, fast shutter and file save, and many
    others. I highly recommend it.

    Jeff, Dec 5, 2003
  19. Harlen Ng

    Bob D. Guest

    I just bought a PDR-M700 in lieu of the Lumix DMC-FZ10. I'll let ya' know
    how I find it.

    BTW - Anyone familiar with where to get and how to perform the firmware upgrade?
    Supposedly it add more functionality to things like autofocus, and may
    remedy the long shutter problem.

    Bob Dimond

    Bob D., Dec 5, 2003
  20. Harlen Ng

    SD Guest

    Bob D. wrote:
    > I just bought a PDR-M700 in lieu of the Lumix DMC-FZ10. I'll let ya' know
    > how I find it.
    >
    > BTW - Anyone familiar with where to get and how to perform the firmware upgrade?
    > Supposedly it add more functionality to things like autofocus, and may
    > remedy the long shutter problem.

    Did it add more manual focus options? its very limiting to just have the
    1,3,infinity. Plus the autofocus is quite poor in low light (comparing
    to Minolta Dimage F100) and sometimes there are things I could have
    easily manual focussed by using the LCD but the autofocus just couldnt..

    SD, Dec 6, 2003