Bermuda triangle in my living room?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by shmnky@gmail.com, May 28, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Folks, this is going to sound Nuts, but here it is.

    My Xbox 360, wirelessly networked to a linksys WRT54G via the Xbox 360
    wireless adapter, has been dropping connectivity like crazy lately.
    (LED goes blank on it and it shuts down.) Unplugging and replugging in
    the wireless dongle reconnects it, but it just shuts down again a
    couple of minutes later.

    Found this odd because there's a Win XP laptop 4 feet from it that
    stays connected to the same network just fine.

    In trying to diagnose this, I brought the router and cable modem
    downstairs and set them up right in front of the Xbox. I got the same
    wireless connectivity. Connecting the cable modem directly to the Xbox
    360 via ethernet cable, it connected fine. Connecting it via the
    router, straight ethernet cable to Xbox, it refuses to get a DNS
    address, and fails that test even when I put in my IPs primary and
    secondary DNS addresses manually.

    Here's where things get stranger. With the router sitting 4 feet from
    the laptop, it can no longer connect wirelessly, although it claims
    its seeing the network properly, and shows the right addresses as
    checked via ipconfig... Connect the laptop via ethernet cable, exact
    same problem. No connectivity though ipconfig shows everything fine.

    Wackier yet, when I just brought everything upstairs and replugged in,
    the Win XP laptop downstairs gained connectivity immediately. Carried
    it upstairs and it connected fine wirelessly and via ethernet.

    The other two machines in the home, windows XP boxes, have had no
    troubles connecting to this router. I've tried the latest linksys
    firmware and have dropped back to a lower firmware listed as
    officially supported by Xbox
    360.

    The annoyance with the Xbox is one thing but I can't figure out for
    the life of me how the router can feed machines properly from upstairs
    (through the floor) but can't do the job from 4 feet away when it's
    downstairs with the equipment.

    Any ideas?

    , May 28, 2007

  2. Reception of the wireless signal depends on awful lot
    of various factors - there can be shadow areas due to
    reflections; interference from other radio sources, position of
    the adapter antenna(s), and what not.

    So what you see is quite common - and yes, it may
    look like Bermuda triangle.
    Unfortunately, without expensive RF measurement tools it is very hard
    to tell what is the problem. Just by trial and error.

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, May 30, 2007