BENQ update?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Baer, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    I have a Benq DW1620, and recently vought some Memorex DVD+R disks
    (8X).
    There is a note inside about firmware upgrade, and to go to
    www.dvdrwservices.com to see if one's model requires an upgrade.
    The Sony CRX320E is not listed, so it seems that is OK and does not
    need the upgrade.
    But the Benq *is* listed, and ther are numerous files available;
    presumably one should use the latest.
    On reading the info given for each and every software file, i do not
    see the Benq model DW1620 listed anywhere - only the "title" for the
    first (and oldest) file has that mentioned (but not the info file).
    So, WTH, download and apply it.
    Hmm..running it, three drives are listed for it to work on: the Sony,
    the Benq, and Pinnacle's VOB drive. Is this hard or what?
    So i select the Benq and tell it to go ahead...
    ....and it sez "Drive not supported".
    Hunh??????????????????

    Does this Benq need a firmware upgrade?
    If so, how does one get it?
    Robert Baer, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Robert Baer

    bambam Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:421AE4DA.730634A0
    @earthlink.net:

    > I have a Benq DW1620, and recently vought some Memorex DVD+R disks
    > (8X).
    > There is a note inside about firmware upgrade, and to go to
    > www.dvdrwservices.com to see if one's model requires an upgrade.
    > The Sony CRX320E is not listed, so it seems that is OK and does not
    > need the upgrade.
    > But the Benq *is* listed, and ther are numerous files available;
    > presumably one should use the latest.
    > On reading the info given for each and every software file, i do not
    > see the Benq model DW1620 listed anywhere - only the "title" for the
    > first (and oldest) file has that mentioned (but not the info file).
    > So, WTH, download and apply it.
    > Hmm..running it, three drives are listed for it to work on: the Sony,
    > the Benq, and Pinnacle's VOB drive. Is this hard or what?
    > So i select the Benq and tell it to go ahead...
    > ...and it sez "Drive not supported".
    > Hunh??????????????????
    >
    > Does this Benq need a firmware upgrade?
    > If so, how does one get it?

    In my limited experience DVDRW drives benefit greatly from firmware
    upgrades, mostly with greater media compatability. The site below is very
    good for info and firmware downloads-

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/573

    Good luck. :)
    bambam, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:421AE4DA.730634A0
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I have a Benq DW1620, and recently vought some Memorex DVD+R disks
    > > (8X).
    > > There is a note inside about firmware upgrade, and to go to
    > > www.dvdrwservices.com to see if one's model requires an upgrade.
    > > The Sony CRX320E is not listed, so it seems that is OK and does not
    > > need the upgrade.
    > > But the Benq *is* listed, and ther are numerous files available;
    > > presumably one should use the latest.
    > > On reading the info given for each and every software file, i do not
    > > see the Benq model DW1620 listed anywhere - only the "title" for the
    > > first (and oldest) file has that mentioned (but not the info file).
    > > So, WTH, download and apply it.
    > > Hmm..running it, three drives are listed for it to work on: the Sony,
    > > the Benq, and Pinnacle's VOB drive. Is this hard or what?
    > > So i select the Benq and tell it to go ahead...
    > > ...and it sez "Drive not supported".
    > > Hunh??????????????????
    > >
    > > Does this Benq need a firmware upgrade?
    > > If so, how does one get it?

    > In my limited experience DVDRW drives benefit greatly from firmware
    > upgrades, mostly with greater media compatability. The site below is very
    > good for info and firmware downloads-
    >
    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/573
    >
    > Good luck. :)

    Thanks; seems i will have to use my other OS; does not load in NS 4.7
    so will try NS 6.2 next, lastly IE.
    Robert Baer, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Robert Baer

    bambam Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:57:14 +0000, Robert Baer wrote:

    >> > Does this Benq need a firmware upgrade?
    >> > If so, how does one get it?

    >> In my limited experience DVDRW drives benefit greatly from firmware
    >> upgrades, mostly with greater media compatability. The site below is very
    >> good for info and firmware downloads-
    >>
    >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/573
    >>
    >> Good luck. :)

    > Thanks; seems i will have to use my other OS; does not load in NS 4.7
    > so will try NS 6.2 next, lastly IE.

    Try Firefox instead-

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/start/
    bambam, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1905

    this will take you to the latest firmware downloads for a BenQ DW1620. Note
    that there are retail and bulk/OEM DW1620 drives and they have different
    update files for each type. Look at the firmware revision printed on the
    label on the DVD drive, and that should tell you which file is appropriate
    for your drive. The retail drive firmware starts with a "B" and the bulk/OEM
    drive firmware starts with a "G". I have one of these drives, and I needed
    to update the firmware to take care of a boot problem it caused on my
    system. Other than that, it has been a great drive, like my other BenQ DVD
    writer has as well. Never burned a coaster with either one.

    Thor, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1905
    >
    > this will take you to the latest firmware downloads for a BenQ DW1620. Note
    > that there are retail and bulk/OEM DW1620 drives and they have different
    > update files for each type. Look at the firmware revision printed on the
    > label on the DVD drive, and that should tell you which file is appropriate
    > for your drive. The retail drive firmware starts with a "B" and the bulk/OEM
    > drive firmware starts with a "G". I have one of these drives, and I needed
    > to update the firmware to take care of a boot problem it caused on my
    > system. Other than that, it has been a great drive, like my other BenQ DVD
    > writer has as well. Never burned a coaster with either one.
    >
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > bambam wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Robert Baer <> wrote in news:421AE4DA.730634A0
    > >> @earthlink.net:

    > >> In my limited experience DVDRW drives benefit greatly from firmware
    > >> upgrades, mostly with greater media compatability. The site below is very
    > >> good for info and firmware downloads-
    > >>
    > >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/573
    > >>
    > >> Good luck. :)

    > > Thanks; seems i will have to use my other OS; does not load in NS 4.7
    > > so will try NS 6.2 next, lastly IE.

    Thanks for the detiled info!
    However, there are 2 labels on this drive:
    Large square label: barcode = 40046 00816; and below G7-AA0L9B; below
    that is A0A G7L9.
    Small rectangle label: Part No: 99.B5C15.0C3 .
    So i could read that as a G via the large label, or a B via the
    smaller one (which has the same bar code).
    Rather confusing to me; neither label hints about firmware or
    revision.
    Please let me know what i have.
    Robert Baer, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1905
    >
    > this will take you to the latest firmware downloads for a BenQ DW1620. Note
    > that there are retail and bulk/OEM DW1620 drives and they have different
    > update files for each type. Look at the firmware revision printed on the
    > label on the DVD drive, and that should tell you which file is appropriate
    > for your drive. The retail drive firmware starts with a "B" and the bulk/OEM
    > drive firmware starts with a "G". I have one of these drives, and I needed
    > to update the firmware to take care of a boot problem it caused on my
    > system. Other than that, it has been a great drive, like my other BenQ DVD
    > writer has as well. Never burned a coaster with either one.
    >
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > bambam wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Robert Baer <> wrote in news:421AE4DA.730634A0
    > >> @earthlink.net:

    > >> In my limited experience DVDRW drives benefit greatly from firmware
    > >> upgrades, mostly with greater media compatability. The site below is very
    > >> good for info and firmware downloads-
    > >>
    > >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/573
    > >>
    > >> Good luck. :)

    > > Thanks; seems i will have to use my other OS; does not load in NS 4.7
    > > so will try NS 6.2 next, lastly IE.

    I see from that site, the following:
    For Retail Drives: B7H9, B7J9, B7K9, B7L9, B7M9, B7P9, B7S9, B7T9
    For Bulk Drives: G7K9, G7L9, G7M9
    ..So, it would appear that the drive fits none of what is listed; B5C1
    (from B5C15) or G7AA (from G7AA0L9B) does not match.
    And they warn that the drive could be destroyed (???).
    Also, where does one find "the installation notes of your firmware"??
    Robert Baer, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks for the detiled info!
    > However, there are 2 labels on this drive:
    > Large square label: barcode = 40046 00816; and below G7-AA0L9B; below
    > that is A0A G7L9.
    > Small rectangle label: Part No: 99.B5C15.0C3 .
    > So i could read that as a G via the large label, or a B via the
    > smaller one (which has the same bar code).
    > Rather confusing to me; neither label hints about firmware or
    > revision.
    > Please let me know what i have.

    Your drive is a bulk drive, as indicated by the "G7L9". That is the firmware
    version it shipped with. You'll note that on the site I provided a link to,
    that same firmware revision is also one of the downloadable files. It's also
    the same one mine shipped with, that I had problems with. I'm currently
    running the G7M9 firmware revision.
    Thor, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1905
    >>
    >> this will take you to the latest firmware downloads for a BenQ DW1620.
    >> Note
    >> that there are retail and bulk/OEM DW1620 drives and they have different
    >> update files for each type. Look at the firmware revision printed on the
    >> label on the DVD drive, and that should tell you which file is
    >> appropriate
    >> for your drive. The retail drive firmware starts with a "B" and the
    >> bulk/OEM
    >> drive firmware starts with a "G". I have one of these drives, and I
    >> needed
    >> to update the firmware to take care of a boot problem it caused on my
    >> system. Other than that, it has been a great drive, like my other BenQ
    >> DVD
    >> writer has as well. Never burned a coaster with either one.
    >>
    >> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks; seems i will have to use my other OS; does not load in NS 4.7
    >> > so will try NS 6.2 next, lastly IE.

    > I see from that site, the following:
    > For Retail Drives: B7H9, B7J9, B7K9, B7L9, B7M9, B7P9, B7S9, B7T9
    > For Bulk Drives: G7K9, G7L9, G7M9
    > ..So, it would appear that the drive fits none of what is listed; B5C1
    > (from B5C15) or G7AA (from G7AA0L9B) does not match.
    > And they warn that the drive could be destroyed (???).
    > Also, where does one find "the installation notes of your firmware"??

    You don't really need any installation notes. The firmware updater runs in
    windows. It's pretty simple. Just run it, make sure it identifies the
    correct drive as the one you want to update, then confirm. Once it says it's
    finished, reboot the computer.
    Thor, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Thor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1905
    > >>
    > >> this will take you to the latest firmware downloads for a BenQ DW1620.
    > >> Note
    > >> that there are retail and bulk/OEM DW1620 drives and they have different
    > >> update files for each type. Look at the firmware revision printed on the
    > >> label on the DVD drive, and that should tell you which file is
    > >> appropriate
    > >> for your drive. The retail drive firmware starts with a "B" and the
    > >> bulk/OEM
    > >> drive firmware starts with a "G". I have one of these drives, and I
    > >> needed
    > >> to update the firmware to take care of a boot problem it caused on my
    > >> system. Other than that, it has been a great drive, like my other BenQ
    > >> DVD
    > >> writer has as well. Never burned a coaster with either one.
    > >>
    > >> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message

    > > I see from that site, the following:
    > > For Retail Drives: B7H9, B7J9, B7K9, B7L9, B7M9, B7P9, B7S9, B7T9
    > > For Bulk Drives: G7K9, G7L9, G7M9
    > > ..So, it would appear that the drive fits none of what is listed; B5C1
    > > (from B5C15) or G7AA (from G7AA0L9B) does not match.
    > > And they warn that the drive could be destroyed (???).
    > > Also, where does one find "the installation notes of your firmware"??

    > You don't really need any installation notes. The firmware updater runs in
    > windows. It's pretty simple. Just run it, make sure it identifies the
    > correct drive as the one you want to update, then confirm. Once it says it's
    > finished, reboot the computer.

    Thanks; All of those letter and number configurations on the drive is
    a bit confusing.
    It would have been nice to spell out what those codes stood for...
    Robert Baer, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Robert Baer

    Plato Guest

    BENQ sounds like some sort of Gladiator Movie with Charlten Heston
    Plato, Feb 25, 2005
  12. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > BENQ sounds like some sort of Gladiator Movie with Charlten Heston

    LOL!

    Seriously though, their DVD writers seem to be all the rage in DVD
    burning/copying forums right now. Seems the BenQ drives tend to make the
    most compatible and standards compliant copies at the moment. I can't say I
    disagree. I've had a BenQ DW-400A single-layer drive for about a year and a
    half, and made about 100 DVD copies and numerous SVCDs so far without a
    single failed burn. I just got the dual-layer 1620 model a couple months
    ago, and it runs like a champ too. Even my old Toshiba DVD player will play
    discs burned in them, but from nothing else I have tried. That Toshiba
    player isn't even supposed to support DVD recordable media according to
    Toshiba's own specs (it's a 1998 model). And up until getting the BenQ
    drive, nothing at all burned in any DVD recordable drive or CDRW drive I had
    tried would work in it. But copies from my BenQ drives work perfectly in the
    damn thing. I was impressed to say the least.
    Thor, Feb 25, 2005