    LCD screen, however I cannot run at 32-bit colour at 1280x1024. To get that
    colour depth I have to drop to the non-native 1024x768 resolution. Are there
    any solutions out there??
    Simon, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Simon

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:52:46 +1000, "Simon" <simon yeah dot com>
    wrote:

    >I am running the latest drivers for my onboard NVidia GPU and BenQ FP731
    >LCD screen, however I cannot run at 32-bit colour at 1280x1024. To get that
    >colour depth I have to drop to the non-native 1024x768 resolution. Are there
    >any solutions out there??

    First check the amount of video memory allocated to the display
    in the bios setup... increase that if necessary.

    Check the BenQ monitor's INF file to confirm that it lists the
    desired mode. If it does, try changing the driver in display
    properties, if already appearing set correctly then try different
    monitor like Plug-n-play then set back to the BenQ.

    If you're using Detonator 5x.x or 6x.x series driver you might
    try 4x.x series.
    kony, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Simon

    DaveW Guest

    It sounds like your on-board graphics chip, which are always underpowered
    but cheap, does not have the capability of running that resolution at that
    color depth. You would need to get an AGP video card for your system and
    give up the weak on-board graphics. IF your motherboard even HAS an AGP
    slot. Better check first.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Simon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    DaveW wrote:
    > It sounds like your on-board graphics chip, which are always
    > underpowered but cheap, does not have the capability of running that
    > resolution at that color depth. You would need to get an AGP video
    > card for your system and give up the weak on-board graphics. IF your
    > motherboard even HAS an AGP slot. Better check first.

    I haven't seen an nVidia chipset board yet that doesn't have an AGP slot.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2004
  5. On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:52:46 +1000, "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote:

    >I am running the latest drivers for my onboard NVidia GPU and BenQ FP731
    >LCD screen, however I cannot run at 32-bit colour at 1280x1024. To get that
    >colour depth I have to drop to the non-native 1024x768 resolution. Are there
    >any solutions out there??

    Most LCD Monitors are not true 32 Bit Colours, I know mine in not..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 23, 2004
  6. On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:50:34 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >DaveW wrote:
    >> It sounds like your on-board graphics chip, which are always
    >> underpowered but cheap, does not have the capability of running that
    >> resolution at that color depth. You would need to get an AGP video
    >> card for your system and give up the weak on-board graphics. IF your
    >> motherboard even HAS an AGP slot. Better check first.

    >I haven't seen an nVidia chipset board yet that doesn't have an AGP slot.

    The lack of Video Ram can also cause this problem..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 23, 2004
  7. Simon

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >I am running the latest drivers for my onboard NVidia GPU and BenQ FP731
    >LCD screen, however I cannot run at 32-bit colour at 1280x1024. To get that
    >colour depth I have to drop to the non-native 1024x768 resolution. Are there
    >any solutions out there??

    Not having an LCD monitor myself I have to ask: can you see the
    difference between 16bit and 32bit colour on an LCD monitor? I can't
    pick it on a CRT monitor.
    GraB, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Simon

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:01:05 GMT, "DaveW" <> wrote:

    >It sounds like your on-board graphics chip, which are always underpowered
    >but cheap, does not have the capability of running that resolution at that
    >color depth. You would need to get an AGP video card for your system and
    >give up the weak on-board graphics. IF your motherboard even HAS an AGP
    >slot. Better check first.

    Any semi-modern integrated graphics can do that resolution and
    color depth fine. In fact there is no issue of underpowered nor
    cheap involved, it's all a matter of a configuration problem that
    could occur with any display adapter, OR a bios setting for
    amount of memory allocated to the video (frame buffer).
    kony, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Simon

    PC Guest

    I have a BenQ 737s, but can't see the difference between 16bit and 32bit my
    LCD monitor!!
    May be my eyes something wrong!!

    PC, Jul 23, 2004
  10. In article <4100d997$0$25458$>,
    says...
    > I have a BenQ 737s, but can't see the difference between 16bit and 32bit my
    > LCD monitor!!
    > May be my eyes something wrong!!

    There is practically no difference at all between 24 bit and 32 bit. The
    step from 16 bit to 24 bit is still significant, but you are extremely
    unlikely to notice it when viewing screens made up of only a relatively
    small number of different colours in solid blocks. The difference should
    be more noticeable when looking at photos which have a wide range of
    colours in them.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 23, 2004
  11. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Oh, you can notice it!! Especially in gradients.

    I put an AGP card in and its going beaut. Color depth is much, much better.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Simon, Jul 23, 2004
  12. Simon

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:04:03 +1000, "Simon" <simon yeah dot com>
    wrote:

    >Oh, you can notice it!! Especially in gradients.
    >
    >I put an AGP card in and its going beaut. Color depth is much, much better.
    >
    >Thanks for the advice.

    If you're happy, fine, but there is no need for an AGP card
    merely to get 24 - 32 bpp @ 1280x 1024. Even an old 8MB
    integrated video can do that.
    kony, Jul 23, 2004