    different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
    Correct?
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 9, 2005

  2. RichA

    P Pron Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > Seems like a computer-based unit offers greater flexibility for
    > different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
    > Correct?
    > -Rich

    Not clear whether you're talking in terms of different disc types or
    different recording formats, but you're probably right, although I'm happy
    to go with the options offered by my standalone DVD/HD recorder - which
    didn't cost more than a computer.

    I do use a computer for some video editing, and you might like to bear in
    mind that video is very resources-intensive. If I'm trying to do something
    else on the computer while it's doing a video-related task I find the
    computer can be slowed down to a crawl. If I didn't have the standalone to
    do most of the video stuff, I think I'd have go for two computers - one for
    video and one for real life....

    paul
    P Pron, Jan 9, 2005

  3. On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:22:17 -0500, RichA <> wrote:

    >Seems like a computer-based unit offers greater flexibility for
    >different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
    >Correct?
    >-Rich

    depends what you want to do.
    menus are easier to make 'pretty' with a computer , but , my panasonic
    e55 makes decent simple menu pages on dvd-r and dvd-ram.

    1,2,4,6,8 hours or anything in between in time as choice of recording
    level , all vbr encoding done with hardware.

    i use pc for stuff that requires editing and standalone to record
    no-editing-required stuff.

    for editing , i capture to dvd-ram with standalone , edit on pc with
    panasonics dvd movie album software , and write finished file out to
    dvd-r
    Gary MacKenzie, Jan 9, 2005
  4. RichA

    Larry Gold Guest

    yes
    but

    A standalone with a built in h/d can be used like a video
    I went to OZ for 5 weeks, and recorded 72 programmes
    now could I have done that with a computer burner?

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Jan 9, 2005
  5. RichA

    Justin Guest

    Larry Gold wrote on [Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:56:35 GMT]:
    > yes
    > but
    >
    > A standalone with a built in h/d can be used like a video
    > I went to OZ for 5 weeks, and recorded 72 programmes
    > now could I have done that with a computer burner?

    Use something like a TV tuner in conjunction with a scheduling program?
    Justin, Jan 9, 2005