Ben Stiller Show: Weak...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan Lund, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    I picked up the DVD set the other night thinking "Hey, Fox was
    clueless about Firefly and all four of these people have gone on to do
    hilarious stuff so why not?"

    Out of 13 episodes there are 2 or 3 honest to goodness laughs. The
    Manson bits are funny and the floating head relaxation video thing was
    funny (probably why it was ripped off for a beer commerical.) The 30
    second conspiracy theory had promise...

    Then you have the other 6 hours worth of material... ;^) Setups with
    celebrities that go nowhere, aren't funny and slow the show down. Lame
    parody bits like "Skank" (an obvious slam on all Alf-like shows but
    equally un-funny.)

    I don't know, maybe it would have been funny to see it when Cape Fear
    parodies were actually timely, but somehow I don't think so.

    Actually the funniest bits are the bloopers in the end credits. Fox
    couldn't have killed this show fast enough.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Jordan Lund wrote:

    > I picked up the DVD set the other night thinking "Hey, Fox was
    > clueless about Firefly and all four of these people have gone on to do
    > hilarious stuff so why not?"
    >
    > Actually the funniest bits are the bloopers in the end credits. Fox
    > couldn't have killed this show fast enough.

    ....Oh, no, no, ANY show cancelled by Fox is underappreciated genius and
    was unfairly struck down in its prime!--Just look at Firefly! ;)

    Yeah, kind of different when you actually *watch* the shows, isn't it?
    IMO, except for the Head & Shoulders ad parody (eh, had to be there in
    the late-80's to get it), Stiller was about nine years and three movies
    too early to have his own series.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:42:13 -0800]:
    > Jordan Lund wrote:
    >
    >> I picked up the DVD set the other night thinking "Hey, Fox was
    >> clueless about Firefly and all four of these people have gone on to do
    >> hilarious stuff so why not?"
    >>
    >> Actually the funniest bits are the bloopers in the end credits. Fox
    >> couldn't have killed this show fast enough.

    > ...Oh, no, no, ANY show cancelled by Fox is underappreciated genius and
    > was unfairly struck down in its prime!--Just look at Firefly! ;)

    Uh..... not EVERY show, but a lot of them.

    > Yeah, kind of different when you actually *watch* the shows, isn't it?

    Firefly, had a slow weird beginning because of strange order of episode
    showing. John Doe built up to a huge cliffhanger, and it was actually
    pretty damn decent compared to what else is on TV this season. Dark
    Angel was faltering at the end there, but it still had the potential to
    pull it out in the next season. Space: Above And Beyond, a great show.
    Justin, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Jordan Lund

    Peter Guest

    Justin wrote:
    <snip>

    > pretty damn decent compared to what else is on TV this season. Dark
    > Angel was faltering at the end there, but it still had the potential to
    > pull it out in the next season. Space: Above And Beyond, a great show.

    Well if Firefly is anything like Space: Above and Beyond, I'm glad I
    missed it. Man, I wasn't surprised when they canned that show, more
    surprised they didn't can it sooner. However what surprised me, is that
    it had some sort of following. Wow.. Really ? I thought it was extremely
    lame.. But then thats just MHO

    --
    Please help stop Forced Trailers on DVD's
    Please sign the Petition at
    Peter, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Jordan Lund

    Jay G Guest

    Justin <> wrote:
    > Derek Janssen wrote :
    >> Yeah, kind of different when you actually *watch* the shows, isn't
    >> it?

    > Firefly, had a slow weird beginning because of strange order of
    > episode showing. John Doe built up to a huge cliffhanger, and it was
    > actually pretty damn decent compared to what else is on TV this
    > season. Dark Angel was faltering at the end there, but it still had
    > the potential to pull it out in the next season. Space: Above And
    > Beyond, a great show.

    Then there was "Brisco County Jr." , which was a western/sci fi
    show that FOX put on Fridays at 8/7p central (Sound familiar?)
    Premiering at the same time as X-Files, I thought Brisco was
    the one that was actually going to last, even though I enjoyed
    X-Files from day one.

    Also "Strange Luck", a show which finally had an explaination
    for all the fortunate coincidences that TV shows often have.
    It was good and fun, but also had a dark mysterious back-story
    that was a bit X-Files like (It even mentioned a pontential
    cross-over at one point).

    Then there's "Key West", which probably nobody remembers.
    Character actor Fisher Stevens finally in a starring role, he
    played a man who abandons his life to move to Key West
    and follow in Hemmingway's footsteps. It can be summed
    up as the high-concept "Northern Exposure down South,"
    but it managed to be good in it's own right. Plus,
    Jennifer Tilly as a whore.

    Getting even more obscure, "Flying Blind" had Téa Leoni
    in her best role ever, although this was before anyone
    knew her. She nailed the role of a sexpot who was
    inexplicably attracted to a nebbish, Woody Allen
    type Jew. This show also had Clea Lewis playing
    the exact opposite of her sunshiny character on
    Ellen, to much better comedic effect.

    Then there's "Ned And Stacy", or as I like to call
    it "Will And Grace for people with souls." Debra
    Messing stars, again before anyone knew her,
    as a woman who marries for an apartment.
    Thomas Haden Church plays the most lovable
    asshole ever, and Greg Germann almost makes
    up for all those years on Ally McBeal. This still
    gets shown on "Lifetime" I think, for some odd
    reason.

    "Get A Life" of course was cut down in its prime,
    although it's probably a miracle it lasted as long
    as it did.

    "The Critic" was cruelly killed shortly after FOX
    "rescued" it from ABC.

    "Action" should've probably stayed at HBO,
    although I only saw one episode (Didn't
    it only air like twice?)

    Of course, FOX has cancelled it's fair share of crap
    as well. And by crap I mean "nearly everything it
    airs." Still, to me it's fairly clear that FOX doesn't
    care about quality, only ratings. But how does that
    separate it from any other network?

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Jay G wrote on [Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:52:14 -0600]:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >> Derek Janssen wrote :
    >>> Yeah, kind of different when you actually *watch* the shows, isn't
    >>> it?

    >> Firefly, had a slow weird beginning because of strange order of
    >> episode showing. John Doe built up to a huge cliffhanger, and it was
    >> actually pretty damn decent compared to what else is on TV this
    >> season. Dark Angel was faltering at the end there, but it still had
    >> the potential to pull it out in the next season. Space: Above And
    >> Beyond, a great show.

    > Then there was "Brisco County Jr." , which was a western/sci fi
    > show that FOX put on Fridays at 8/7p central (Sound familiar?)
    > Premiering at the same time as X-Files, I thought Brisco was
    > the one that was actually going to last, even though I enjoyed
    > X-Files from day one.

    How could I forget Briscoe Co. Jr. Of course, it was killed by focusing
    it toward kids too much. What the hell. Having "Comet The Wonder Horse"
    host the Saturday morning cartoons.... This was before the WB, so Fox
    had the cartoons to watch, it made me think the show was for kids...

    Of course, I later caught every episode and realised how good it was.
    Justin, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Jordan Lund

    Jay G Guest

    Peter <> wrote:

    > Well if Firefly is anything like Space: Above and Beyond, I'm glad I
    > missed it.

    Can't speak for Space: AB since I never felt inclined to watch
    it, the previews were enough to turn me off. However, Firefly
    is a great show. It's leagues better than Star Trek in terms
    of characters and story, and even at only 14 episodes, it gives
    any other space show a run for its money.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Jordan Lund

    Jay G Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > IMO, except for the Head & Shoulders ad parody (eh, had to be there in
    > the late-80's to get it), Stiller was about nine years and three
    > movies too early to have his own series.

    Watching the show at the time, it was very very funny. However,
    a lot of ths sketches were also very topical, which now makes
    them very dated. For example the sketch, "Melrose Heights
    90210-2402" parodied not only Melrose Place and 90210,
    but the newest FOX drama at the time, "The Heights." If
    you wonder why Ben and the gang are in a band, it's
    because of this show. At the time, it was spot-on and
    hillarious. However, many years later I had to struggle
    to remember that the show even existed when I saw the
    Ben Stiller parody.

    Still, the show is funny, and even funnier for those who
    can remember the early 90s. Skank is funny not because
    it parodies ALF, which I don't even think it does, but
    because it spoofs the absolute tastelessness of FOX.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Jay G wrote on [Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:10:18 -0600]:
    > them very dated. For example the sketch, "Melrose Heights
    > 90210-2402" parodied not only Melrose Place and 90210,
    > but the newest FOX drama at the time, "The Heights." If
    > you wonder why Ben and the gang are in a band, it's
    > because of this show. At the time, it was spot-on and
    > hillarious. However, many years later I had to struggle
    > to remember that the show even existed when I saw the

    But, How do you talk to an Angel?
    Justin, Jan 6, 2004
  10. Jordan Lund

    Jay G Guest

    Justin <> wrote:
    > Jay G wrote on [Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:10:18 -0600]:
    >> them very dated. For example the sketch, "Melrose Heights
    >> 90210-2402" parodied not only Melrose Place and 90210,
    >> but the newest FOX drama at the time, "The Heights." If
    >> you wonder why Ben and the gang are in a band, it's
    >> because of this show. At the time, it was spot-on and
    >> hillarious. However, many years later I had to struggle
    >> to remember that the show even existed when I saw the

    > But, How do you talk to an Angel?

    Damn, now you've reminder me of the song! It's
    in my head now. Aaaaargh!

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jan 6, 2004
  11. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Jay G wrote on [Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:33:01 -0600]:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >>
    >> But, How do you talk to an Angel?

    > Damn, now you've reminder me of the song! It's
    > in my head now. Aaaaargh!

    It's like trying to catch a falling star.

    The sad thing is, ALL I saw of that show was the ads, and that was all
    the ads ever pushed. That ONE song.
    Justin, Jan 6, 2004
  12. Jordan Lund

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "Jordan Lund" wrote in alt.video.dvd in article
    <>:
    >I picked up the DVD set the other night thinking "Hey, Fox was
    >clueless about Firefly and all four of these people have gone on to do
    >hilarious stuff so why not?"

    >Out of 13 episodes there are 2 or 3 honest to goodness laughs.

    I had been thinking about getting the DVDs, but then I saw the
    Comedy Central show of bit from them. I think I cracked a smile
    _once_, so it seemed unlikely the DVDs would be good value for my
    money.

    I'm glad to hear I was right, but sorry you spent your money to find
    out.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jan 6, 2004
  13. Jay G wrote:

    >>IMO, except for the Head & Shoulders ad parody (eh, had to be there in
    >>the late-80's to get it), Stiller was about nine years and three
    >>movies too early to have his own series.

    > Watching the show at the time, it was very very funny.

    Stiller had a better eye for media parody than, say, "In Living Color"
    did for its day--

    Unfortunately, this was early nineties, right after SNL and before
    movies, when he was directing commercials (anyone remember AOL's "Dad
    shot the computer again!"?)...
    Which was also around the time when Stiller kept obsessively running two
    shticks into the ground--One, of executive types who would never finish
    their....whatevers, and the other, a disturbing, almost fetishistic,
    preoccupation with "Eddie Munster, thirty years later" jokes.

    (...I mean, seriously--It was getting creepy after a while.) 0_0;;

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2004
  14. Jordan Lund

    David Levy Guest

    In part, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > Unfortunately, this was early nineties, right after SNL and
    > before movies, when he was directing commercials (anyone
    > remember AOL's "Dad shot the computer again!"?)...

    "Ma! Pa done shot up the America Online again!"

    As much as I dislike AOL, that's one of my all-time favorite
    television advertisements. In fact, most of spots from that campaign
    (including the Adam West, "monkey glove" and "goofing off" pieces)
    were brilliant. I'd *LOVE* to somehow obtain copies!
    David Levy, Jan 6, 2004
  15. Jordan Lund

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    Well to be honest, save for SCTV, and Almost Live, most every sketch comedy
    show making fun of tv (therefore kids in the hall and exit 57 and the vacant
    lot dont count) is dated. I mean, you dont see anyone clamoring for a dvd of
    "the newz" do you? I shudder to think how bad the south park dvds will hold up
    in 10 yrs (half of todays youth dont even know who jimmy carter is, you think
    saddam jokes will be understood by the future generation?)
    Metlhd3138, Jan 6, 2004
  16. Jordan Lund

    Eric R. Guest

    Okay, you guys are on drugs. The Ben Stiller Show was the funniest
    skit comedy show ever made.

    Yes, it is a little dated now. But so is every other skit comedy show
    that's more than a few years old.

    Eric R., Jan 6, 2004
  17. Jordan Lund

    Wade365 Guest

    Whatever happened to that "Touched By An Angel" spin-off "Touched By An Uncle",
    anyway?
    Wade365, Jan 6, 2004
  18. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Wade365 wrote on [06 Jan 2004 20:00:11 GMT]:
    > Whatever happened to that "Touched By An Angel" spin-off "Touched By An Uncle",
    > anyway?

    They renamed it "Touched by a Priest"
    Justin, Jan 6, 2004
  19. Jordan Lund

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Metlhd3138
    <> wrote:

    > Well to be honest, save for SCTV, and Almost Live, most every sketch comedy
    > show making fun of tv (therefore kids in the hall and exit 57 and the vacant
    > lot dont count) is dated. I mean, you dont see anyone clamoring for a dvd of
    > "the newz" do you? I shudder to think how bad the south park dvds will hold up
    > in 10 yrs (half of todays youth dont even know who jimmy carter is, you think
    > saddam jokes will be understood by the future generation?)

    It depends. How many of us grew up on Looney Toons without knowing who
    all those 40's movie stars were? If South Park is funny in and of
    itself, future generations may think Saddam is just another character:)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jan 6, 2004
  20. Jordan Lund

    Zimmy Guest

    I haven't got to it in my set yet, but the Oliver Stone Amusement park
    sketch was classic.

    Any show with Odenkirk in it is genius in my eyes ;)

    Zimmy, Jan 6, 2004