    PS I saw Ramon Navvaro (who plays Ben Hur in the silent version) last night
    in Mata Hari with Greta Garbo. He plays a Russian military pilot and has
    THE most pronounced Mexican accent I ever heard. It's a riot.
    Edward Holub, Sep 11, 2005

  2. Edward Holub

    Mr. Mike Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:19:04 GMT, "Edward Holub" <>
    wrote:

    >Somewhere I read that someone was complaining that the existing DVD
    >version of Ben-Hur didn't have the aspect ration correct. The writer had
    >hoped that the new version got it right.
    > Any thoughts on this?

    Like the widescreen laser disc, the image on the new release is VERY "wide." In
    fact, if I shrink the image using my Toshiba player so that I can see the
    absolute left and right in a window-box format, it measures at something like
    2.97:1!!! (Does this make sense?) When viewing with the "default" image, it is
    approximately 2.52:1.
    Mr. Mike, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Edward Holub

    Stan Brown Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:28:05 GMT in alt.video.dvd, Mr. Mike favored
    us with...
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:19:04 GMT, "Edward Holub" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Somewhere I read that someone was complaining that the existing DVD
    > >version of Ben-Hur didn't have the aspect ration correct. The writer had
    > >hoped that the new version got it right.
    > > Any thoughts on this?

    > Like the widescreen laser disc, the image on the new release is VERY "wide." In
    > fact, if I shrink the image using my Toshiba player so that I can see the
    > absolute left and right in a window-box format, it measures at something like
    > 2.97:1!!! (Does this make sense?) When viewing with the "default" image, it is
    > approximately 2.52:1.

    Gee, if only there were some sort of Web site that listed movie
    aspect ratios. :)

    http://us.imdb.com, search Ben-Hur, then click "Technical specs" to
    go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/technical

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Edward Holub

    Mr. Mike Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:26:57 -0400, Stan Brown <>
    wrote:

    >Gee, if only there were some sort of Web site that listed movie
    >aspect ratios. :)
    >
    >http://us.imdb.com, search Ben-Hur, then click "Technical specs" to
    >go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/technical

    The IMBD says this about the length of Ben-Hur:

    Runtime: 212 min / Sweden:219 min (1970) / Sweden:224 min (1962) / UK:222 min
    (1993 re-release) / 214 min

    The deluxe version to be released on Tuesday is 222 minutes long, supposedly
    about 10 minutes longer than the previous DVD issue ... so what was missing from
    that one?
    Mr. Mike, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Edward Holub

    P Pron Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    || On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:28:05 GMT in alt.video.dvd, Mr. Mike favored
    || us with...
    ||| Like the widescreen laser disc, the image on the new release is
    ||| VERY "wide." In fact, if I shrink the image using my Toshiba player
    ||| so that I can see the absolute left and right in a window-box
    ||| format, it measures at something like
    ||| 2.97:1!!! (Does this make sense?) When viewing with the "default"
    ||| image, it is approximately 2.52:1.
    || Gee, if only there were some sort of Web site that listed movie
    || aspect ratios. :)
    || http://us.imdb.com, search Ben-Hur, then click "Technical specs" to
    || go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/technical

    and http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingup4.htm is worth a look,
    too....

    paul
    P Pron, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Edward Holub

    Mark W Guest

    "Mr. Mike" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:19:04 GMT, "Edward Holub"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Somewhere I read that someone was complaining that the existing DVD
    >>version of Ben-Hur didn't have the aspect ration correct. The writer had
    >>hoped that the new version got it right.
    >> Any thoughts on this?

    > Like the widescreen laser disc, the image on the new release is VERY
    > "wide." In
    > fact, if I shrink the image using my Toshiba player so that I can see the
    > absolute left and right in a window-box format, it measures at something
    > like
    > 2.97:1!!! (Does this make sense?) When viewing with the "default" image,
    > it is
    > approximately 2.52:1.

    The obvious solution to DVD releases of old movies that were made in very
    very wide aspect ratios is this:
    Cut the image in two halves, left and right. The DVD image would have the
    left hand side of the screen at the top, and the right hand side at the
    bottom.
    Perhaps some special glasses could be included in the case to, like,
    reassemble the picture.

    Wasn't there some odd film format that involved three projectors, showing
    the left, middle and right portions of the final picture?
    Mark W, Sep 12, 2005
  7. Edward Holub

    Alpha Guest

    > Wasn't there some odd film format that involved three projectors, showing
    > the left, middle and right portions of the final picture?

    see How the West was Won
    Alpha, Sep 12, 2005
  8. Mr. Mike wrote:

    > The deluxe version to be released on Tuesday is 222 minutes long, supposedly
    > about 10 minutes longer than the previous DVD issue ... so what was missing from
    > that one?

    Shots of Charlton Heston polishing his gun.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Sep 12, 2005
  9. Edward Holub

    JazzGuyy Guest

    Yeah. It was called Cinerama and used a curved screen. How the West
    Was Won was one of the Cinerama films.

    JazzGuyy, Sep 13, 2005
  10. "JazzGuyy" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah. It was called Cinerama and used a curved screen. How the West
    > Was Won was one of the Cinerama films.
    >
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:27:33 +0100, "Mark W" <s@o> wrote:

    Actually, far more obviously, in Abel Gance's silent epic of Napoleon, the
    final battle scenes feature three images side by side (sometimes combing to
    form one enormous image, sometimes showing three seperate images. Also, in
    some shots, the left image is tinted blue, the middle image is black &
    white, and the right image is tinted red (colors of the French flag.)
    The Man With No Name, Sep 13, 2005
  11. Edward Holub

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    "Edward Holub" <> wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    > Somewhere I read that someone was complaining that the existing DVD
    > version of Ben-Hur didn't have the aspect ration correct. The writer had
    > hoped that the new version got it right.
    > Any thoughts on this?
    > Thanks.
    > Eddie

    Check this out