Belkin Wirless and Xp compatability?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=, Aug 27, 2007.

  1. I have an older Toshiba. a Tecra 8000 to be exact. has 4 gigs, 128 megs of
    ram (not much, I know.). I just installed windows Xp today (up from windows
    98!) and went on nto install a Belkin wireless card. It's a Belkin G
    Notebook Card. not exactly sure on the model and I'm using it at the moment
    so i can't really look.

    It has nit's own connectivity manager, and then so does XP. They both do
    basically the same function, but i can't figure out how to turn one of them
    off and just use one of the programs.

    When i am at home, there are a few weak wireless signals that i can latch
    onto. But, When I try to get on using the Belkin software, I get an error
    and the program says Sorry but I'm shutting down now.

    What is wrong? I've been trying to figure it out.

    I've been sitting here in Barnes and Noble on a good connection and I
    haven't had any problems since I finally got connected to a stable signal.

    Does it just error out trying to find a signal in a not-signal-rich area?

    Thats about as well as i can explain it.

    Ryan in Topeka

    =?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=, Aug 27, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=

    bjr Guest

    Run msconfig and uncheck the belkin utility. That will stop it from

    bjr, Aug 27, 2007

  3. how do I run that? I'm more of a mac guy...and I forgot most of what I
    learned about commanding dos to do things...

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=, Aug 27, 2007
  4. ok, I figured it out. thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=, Aug 27, 2007
  5. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Log to this page and scroll down to the section that starts with:
    "Many new Wireless Laptops and Wireless ready Desktops come with a
    configuration that loads the Original Wireless manufacturer’s Utility at
    Startup"
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 27, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=

    Nemo Guest

    I also have an old Toshiba with the same spec. with belkin card in, I also
    had same problem when using belkin connection tool , open up the
    Belkin utility connect and untick box " Let this tool manage your wireless
    "
    I left the box ticked " Enable Wireless "
    Then goto control panel ,Administrative tools, click on Services
    scolldown to Wireless Zero configeration and set to Automatic
    I use my old Toshiba to stream radio all day it never stops.

    Nemo, Aug 28, 2007