Belkin Wireless USB adapter problems for the Macintosh . . . .

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boaby, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    Hello folks,

    I have a two identical Belkin F5D7050 USB wireless adapters. The bizarre
    thing is? Only one of the USB wireless adapters work on the Macintosh.
    Both USB wireless adapters work fine on my Windows PC, hell, both
    adapters work flawlessly on Linux. I just cant seem to understand why
    one adapter would work and the other does not?

    My Macintosh is G5 with 512 MB with Mac OS X - 10.3.9 - Panther edition.

    I am using ( more or less ) the current drivers offered by Belkin for
    the Macintosh. I should point out. One of the Belkin Wireless USB
    adapters I have been for a year on my Mac worked fine. It was recently I
    decided to buy another Belkin wireless USB adapter and give my current
    adapter to my friend. Now both adapters look identical and number code
    of the product is the same. The only difference is the Mac address.

    If I have not made clear, let me know. I am truly stump?

    Any advice and help would be appreciated.

    Boaby
    Boaby, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Boaby

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Delete the old connection then create a new one.

    pcbutts1, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Boaby

    Mitch Guest

    In article <S7QGf.98338$>, Boaby
    <> wrote:

    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I have a two identical Belkin F5D7050 USB wireless adapters. The bizarre
    > thing is? Only one of the USB wireless adapters work on the Macintosh.
    > Both USB wireless adapters work fine on my Windows PC, hell, both
    > adapters work flawlessly on Linux. I just cant seem to understand why
    > one adapter would work and the other does not?
    >
    > My Macintosh is G5 with 512 MB with Mac OS X - 10.3.9 - Panther edition.
    >
    > I am using ( more or less ) the current drivers offered by Belkin for
    > the Macintosh. I should point out. One of the Belkin Wireless USB
    > adapters I have been for a year on my Mac worked fine. It was recently I
    > decided to buy another Belkin wireless USB adapter and give my current
    > adapter to my friend. Now both adapters look identical and number code
    > of the product is the same. The only difference is the Mac address.
    >
    > If I have not made clear, let me know. I am truly stump?

    Well, it sounds like the hardware is all the same and had worked on
    everything before -- so it must be either a driver issue or damaged
    somewhere.
    And it sounds like you aren't sure about the driver, so maybe that is
    the thing that needs to be done next.

    You also didn't say anything about the other end of the wireless
    situation; is that the same in all situations? Location?

    How about network setup? There are many things that could be set up
    differently between two machines. (Like the firewall, sharing, internet
    access, network preferences, networking address type, or the setup for
    specific clients.)
    Mitch, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Re: Belkin Wireless USB adapter problems for the Macintosh . . ..

    You don't mention which USB ports you plug them into, are you using the
    same port for each adapter?
    Remember not to use the ports on the keyboard because they don't put out
    enough power for anything other than a mouse and a dongle.
    ::Your Name Here::, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    Boaby wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I have a two identical Belkin F5D7050 USB wireless adapters. The bizarre
    > thing is? Only one of the USB wireless adapters work on the Macintosh.
    > Both USB wireless adapters work fine on my Windows PC, hell, both
    > adapters work flawlessly on Linux. I just cant seem to understand why
    > one adapter would work and the other does not?
    >
    > My Macintosh is G5 with 512 MB with Mac OS X - 10.3.9 - Panther edition.
    >
    > I am using ( more or less ) the current drivers offered by Belkin for
    > the Macintosh. I should point out. One of the Belkin Wireless USB
    > adapters I have been for a year on my Mac worked fine. It was recently I
    > decided to buy another Belkin wireless USB adapter and give my current
    > adapter to my friend. Now both adapters look identical and number code
    > of the product is the same. The only difference is the Mac address.
    >
    > If I have not made clear, let me know. I am truly stump?
    >

    > Any advice and help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Boaby

    Thanks for your replies. One of the belkin usb wireless adapters work on
    all 3 usb ports on the Macintosh. The drivers I am using currently using
    for my belkin usb wireless adapter is:

    Wireless G USB Network Adapter F5D7050_v2

    The above mentioned driver link is the only wireless adapter that has
    the Macintosh drivers. I suspect that the other wireless adapter I have
    is not compatible on the Macintosh. The link below is a link to the
    Macintosh driver site for the belkin USB wireless adapters.

    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?cid=6

    What do you think?

    Boaby
    Boaby, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Boaby

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Did you delete the old connection then create a new one?

    pcbutts1, Feb 11, 2006
  7. Boaby

    Mitch Guest

    In article <y46Hf.100382$>, Boaby
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for your replies. One of the belkin usb wireless adapters work on
    > all 3 usb ports on the Macintosh. The drivers I am using currently using
    > for my belkin usb wireless adapter is:
    >
    > Wireless G USB Network Adapter F5D7050_v2
    >
    > The above mentioned driver link is the only wireless adapter that has
    > the Macintosh drivers. I suspect that the other wireless adapter I have
    > is not compatible on the Macintosh. The link below is a link to the
    > Macintosh driver site for the belkin USB wireless adapters.
    >

    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?cid=6
    >

    > What do you think?

    You're still not saying what it is you have done, but it seems you have
    one computer, which you are not moving, and you use one of the USB
    adapters and it works, and then you pull that out andd install another
    one, and it doesn't -- is that right?

    So, what is the error or behavior difference, exactly?
    How do you make the switch, and how do you decide that it isn't working?
    Mitch, Feb 11, 2006
  8. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    Boaby wrote:
    > Boaby wrote:
    > > Hello folks,
    > >
    > > I have a two identical Belkin F5D7050 USB wireless adapters. The bizarre
    > > thing is? Only one of the USB wireless adapters work on the Macintosh.
    > > Both USB wireless adapters work fine on my Windows PC, hell, both
    > > adapters work flawlessly on Linux. I just cant seem to understand why
    > > one adapter would work and the other does not?
    > >
    > > My Macintosh is G5 with 512 MB with Mac OS X - 10.3.9 - Panther edition.
    > >
    > > I am using ( more or less ) the current drivers offered by Belkin for
    > > the Macintosh. I should point out. One of the Belkin Wireless USB
    > > adapters I have been for a year on my Mac worked fine. It was recently I
    > > decided to buy another Belkin wireless USB adapter and give my current
    > > adapter to my friend. Now both adapters look identical and number code
    > > of the product is the same. The only difference is the Mac address.
    > >
    > > If I have not made clear, let me know. I am truly stump?
    > >

    > > Any advice and help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Boaby
    > >

    > Thanks for your replies. One of the belkin usb wireless adapters work on
    > all 3 usb ports on the Macintosh. The drivers I am using currently using
    > for my belkin usb wireless adapter is:
    >
    > Wireless G USB Network Adapter F5D7050_v2
    >
    > The above mentioned driver link is the only wireless adapter that has
    > the Macintosh drivers. I suspect that the other wireless adapter I have
    > is not compatible on the Macintosh. The link below is a link to the
    > Macintosh driver site for the belkin USB wireless adapters.
    >

    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?cid=6
    >

    > What do you think?
    >

    > Boaby

    Thanks for your replies.

    I have a Macintosh G5 and a Windows PC. Only one of the belkin USB
    adapters work fine on my Macintosh. Both adapters work fine on my
    Windows PC. The belkin adapter that works fine on my MAC, works fine on
    all 3 usb ports. The other belkin adapter simply refuse to work. I plug
    the adapter into any of the 3 usb sockets on my MAC and nothing happens.
    The belkin wireless program does not acknowledge the adapter is plugged
    into the usb socket. No errors messages, no hang up, nothing, absolutely
    nothing? The adapter does not light up after inserting into the usb
    socket as the other belkin adapter does.

    I think I come to the conclusion that both Belkin adapters are different
    even though they look identical and has the same product id. I
    un-installed both my adapters drivers on my Windows PC. I installed the
    driver for adapter that will not work on my Mac. Success, no problems,
    my pc detected the drivers on the cd and bingo, the adapter worked fine.
    I disconnected the adapted and proceeded to install the other belkin
    wireless adapter. Now I inserted the adapter that work fine on my pc
    and the Macintosh. Windows asked me to insert he driver cd for the
    adapter. Now I thought both adapters are identical and same product code
    applies to have same drivers, which i installed earlier on. So I got
    the cd for my adapter ( by the way I have two cd drivers for each
    belkin wireless adapter ) and bingo the adapter works fine. Again no
    error message.

    Hope this helps.

    Boaby

    P.S - pcbutts1 wrote:

    Did you delete the old connection then create a new one?

    How do I delete old connection and create a new one?
    Boaby, Feb 11, 2006
  9. Boaby

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Click on the apple>system preferences>network> show airport.

    pcbutts1, Feb 12, 2006