    router and a windows xp client.

    Thanks in advance

    John

    John, Sep 5, 2004

  2. John

    Gary R. Guest

    Mine is the 802.11b version, but it should be the same. Just go into the
    router's bios setup. Open your browser, and in the address bar type
    http://192.168.2.1, hit enter, and you'll be at bios setup for the router.
    You should enter a router password you'll remember if you haven't yet, the
    default is a blank password.

    Click under Wireless, on the encryption link (in the left panel). Set the
    selector to 128 bit automatic, type in any passphrase that you want, and
    have it generate a passcode...the numbers will appear in the boxes below the
    passphrase. Write the numbers down and double check them.

    This all needs to be done through a normal wired connection to the router.

    Now when you click on 'show available wireless connections' in the system
    tray, that connection should appear, and if you select it you will be told
    that it is WEP encrypted and give you a place to type the code (it's easy to
    find, can't give the exact details of what it says as it's been a while).
    Type in the code you wrote down, but with no dashes or spaces, the numbers
    and letters only. It should then be able to connect.

    Gary

    Gary R., Sep 5, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest