Belkin wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill Sharpe, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Bill Sharpe

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    I added a router to my cable modem and set up a wireless network for my
    desktop and laptop computers. The laptop seems to be working fine, but
    the desktop is problematic. i set up the network using Belkin's
    instructions rather than Windows.

    Windows Network Icon in the system tray says I am not connected, but
    when I click to display available networks the heading over my network
    says I am not connected. The text below that, however, says I am
    connected. And the button at the bottom of the window reads
    "disconnect." My Belkin Wireless USB Utility says I am connected with a
    strong signal. Internet and e-mail work.

    So what is the problem?

    Windows will occasionally pop up a message saying unable to connect. I
    could live with that, I suppose, but others who use the computer are
    likely to get confused -- namely wife and daughter.

    Is there a way to get Windows Network to acknowledge the fact that I
    really do have a connection?

    I was also actually getting disconnected occasionally. I suspect there
    was a conflict between my wireless keyboard/mouse and wireless network.
    I changed channels on the keyboard mouse and the actual disconnect
    problem seems to have gone away. If it happens again I will dig out my
    old corded mouse and keyboard and try again.

    Both computers use Windows XP SP2.

    Bill

    Bill Sharpe, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Bill Sharpe

    Dave Guest

    "Bill Sharpe" <> wrote in message
    >I added a router to my cable modem and set up a wireless network for my
    >desktop and laptop computers. The laptop seems to be working fine, but the
    >desktop is problematic. i set up the network using Belkin's instructions
    >rather than Windows.
    >
    > Windows Network Icon in the system tray says I am not connected, but when
    > I click to display available networks the heading over my network says I
    > am not connected. The text below that, however, says I am connected. And
    > the button at the bottom of the window reads "disconnect." My Belkin
    > Wireless USB Utility says I am connected with a strong signal. Internet
    > and e-mail work.
    >
    > So what is the problem?
    >
    > Windows will occasionally pop up a message saying unable to connect. I
    > could live with that, I suppose, but others who use the computer are
    > likely to get confused -- namely wife and daughter.
    >
    > Is there a way to get Windows Network to acknowledge the fact that I
    > really do have a connection?
    >
    > I was also actually getting disconnected occasionally. I suspect there was
    > a conflict between my wireless keyboard/mouse and wireless network. I
    > changed channels on the keyboard mouse and the actual disconnect problem
    > seems to have gone away. If it happens again I will dig out my old corded
    > mouse and keyboard and try again.
    >
    > Both computers use Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > Bill

    ok, so what is the problem? you said the disconnect problem went away when
    you changed the 'keyboard mouse' channel. and you said the internet and
    email worked. so what doesn't work??

    Dave, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Bill Sharpe

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > "Bill Sharpe" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I added a router to my cable modem and set up a wireless network for my
    >>desktop and laptop computers. The laptop seems to be working fine, but the
    >>desktop is problematic. i set up the network using Belkin's instructions
    >>rather than Windows.
    >>
    >>Windows Network Icon in the system tray says I am not connected, but when
    >>I click to display available networks the heading over my network says I
    >>am not connected. The text below that, however, says I am connected. And
    >>the button at the bottom of the window reads "disconnect." My Belkin
    >>Wireless USB Utility says I am connected with a strong signal. Internet
    >>and e-mail work.
    >>
    >>So what is the problem?
    >>
    >>Windows will occasionally pop up a message saying unable to connect. I
    >>could live with that, I suppose, but others who use the computer are
    >>likely to get confused -- namely wife and daughter.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to get Windows Network to acknowledge the fact that I
    >>really do have a connection?
    >>
    >>I was also actually getting disconnected occasionally. I suspect there was
    >>a conflict between my wireless keyboard/mouse and wireless network. I
    >>changed channels on the keyboard mouse and the actual disconnect problem
    >>seems to have gone away. If it happens again I will dig out my old corded
    >>mouse and keyboard and try again.
    >>
    >>Both computers use Windows XP SP2.
    >>
    >>Bill

    > ok, so what is the problem? you said the disconnect problem went away when
    > you changed the 'keyboard mouse' channel. and you said the internet and
    > email worked. so what doesn't work??

    The last connection lasted about 20 minutes and then I had to reconnect.
    My question -- with or without the real disconnect problem -- was

    Bill Sharpe, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Bill Sharpe

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    I unchecked "Use Windows to manage the network" and the problem Windows
    Network status problem has disappeared. Still not sure about the real
    disconnects but I have been connected for 30 minutes now with no further
    disconnects.

    Bill

    Bill Sharpe, Sep 20, 2005