    No matter which hosted www that gets entered, I just hit the Belkin
    router setup utility.

    Any ideas on this one chasps?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Belkin wireless G 125 router
    >
    > The outside world can access my servers, but none of the systems on the
    > network can connect to any of the serves on the hosting system (with the
    > exception of localhost only on the serving system itself).
    >
    > No matter which hosted www that gets entered, I just hit the Belkin
    > router setup utility.
    >
    > Any ideas on this one chasps?

    First off, what on Earth makes you think you're sitting on top of all
    these servers? I guess I can't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure you're
    screwed in the head on this one. Have you run the MS wizard for
    networking? It's kind of the brain-dead way of networking, but may be
    just what you need. Another source of help may be the Belkin tech
    support people. I know, they can't find their ass with a GPS and a
    searchlight, but could be the very people you need to talk to.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    >> Belkin wireless G 125 router
    >>
    >> The outside world can access my servers, but none of the systems on
    >> the network can connect to any of the serves on the hosting system
    >> (with the exception of localhost only on the serving system itself).
    >>
    >> No matter which hosted www that gets entered, I just hit the Belkin
    >> router setup utility.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on this one chasps?

    > First off, what on Earth makes you think you're sitting on top of all

    Because I run the server softwares on my system.

    > these servers? I guess I can't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure you're
    > screwed in the head on this one. Have you run the MS wizard for
    > networking? It's kind of the brain-dead way of networking, but may be
    > just what you need. Another source of help may be the Belkin tech
    > support people. I know, they can't find their ass with a GPS and a
    > searchlight, but could be the very people you need to talk to.

    When I called Belkin on Saturday they told me I had to register the MAC
    addresses with NTL, so I waited until monday, called NTL and they said
    it wasn't necessary, so I spent a few hours sorting out the router and
    wireless card myself. Called Belkin back and they forced a DNS to the
    system which in turn locked my system out of the internet, and then told
    me I had to call microsoft to release, where I had to spend another hour
    fiddling about to free up the DNS so that it would pick it up from the
    router.

    The easy install wouldn't run for the the router, nor for the card, so
    much for "easy" and "plugnplay".

    I don't have much confidence in Belkins tech support.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 7, 2006
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:27:13 GMT, Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>
    >>> Belkin wireless G 125 router
    >>>
    >>> The outside world can access my servers, but none of the systems on
    >>> the network can connect to any of the serves on the hosting system
    >>> (with the exception of localhost only on the serving system itself).
    >>>
    >>> No matter which hosted www that gets entered, I just hit the Belkin
    >>> router setup utility.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on this one chasps?

    >> First off, what on Earth makes you think you're sitting on top of all

    > Because I run the server softwares on my system.
    >
    >> these servers? I guess I can't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure you're
    >> screwed in the head on this one. Have you run the MS wizard for
    >> networking? It's kind of the brain-dead way of networking, but may be
    >> just what you need. Another source of help may be the Belkin tech
    >> support people. I know, they can't find their ass with a GPS and a
    >> searchlight, but could be the very people you need to talk to.

    > When I called Belkin on Saturday they told me I had to register the MAC
    > addresses with NTL, so I waited until monday, called NTL and they said
    > it wasn't necessary,

    When I was with nthell they told me the same, I spoke to the tech support
    (ha ha) persons supervisor, insisted they took the MAC address and then
    went out for a meal. When I got back, as if by magic, everything worked ok.

    NThelL still insisted there was no need to register the MAC address but
    everyone from router manufacturers to users think you need to.

    The best advice I can give is persevere with them.

    --
    Steve
    ?wollof ot drah yllaer sdaerht sekam gnitsop-pot taht erawa uoy ereW

    Steve, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Steve wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:27:13 GMT, Brian H¹© wrote:
    >

    >>Rôgêr wrote:

    >>>First off, what on Earth makes you think you're sitting on top of all

    >> Because I run the server softwares on my system.
    >>

    >>>these servers? I guess I can't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure you're
    >>>screwed in the head on this one. Have you run the MS wizard for
    >>>networking? It's kind of the brain-dead way of networking, but may be
    >>>just what you need. Another source of help may be the Belkin tech
    >>>support people. I know, they can't find their ass with a GPS and a
    >>>searchlight, but could be the very people you need to talk to.

    >>When I called Belkin on Saturday they told me I had to register the MAC
    >>addresses with NTL, so I waited until monday, called NTL and they said
    >>it wasn't necessary,

    > When I was with nthell they told me the same, I spoke to the tech support
    > (ha ha) persons supervisor, insisted they took the MAC address and then
    > went out for a meal. When I got back, as if by magic, everything worked ok.
    >
    > NThelL still insisted there was no need to register the MAC address but
    > everyone from router manufacturers to users think you need to.
    >
    > The best advice I can give is persevere with them.

    But they aren't my problem, I can access the internet, and the outside
    world can access me, I just can't access anything behind the router from
    anywhere on my network, the only exception being that I can access via
    localhost on the host machine.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 7, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Steve wrote:

    >>> Because I run the server softwares on my system.

    >>>When I called Belkin on Saturday they told me I had to register the MAC
    >>>addresses with NTL, so I waited until monday, called NTL and they said it
    >>>wasn't necessary,

    >> When I was with nthell they told me the same, I spoke to the tech support
    >> (ha ha) persons supervisor, insisted they took the MAC address and then
    >> went out for a meal. When I got back, as if by magic, everything worked
    >> ok.
    >>
    >> NThelL still insisted there was no need to register the MAC address but
    >> everyone from router manufacturers to users think you need to.
    >>
    >> The best advice I can give is persevere with them.

    > But they aren't my problem, I can access the internet, and the outside
    > world can access me, I just can't access anything behind the router from
    > anywhere on my network, the only exception being that I can access via
    > localhost on the host machine.

    Firewalls are probably interfering - what are the OS's?
    Have you enabled the local subnet in the firewalls?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Noel Paton wrote:
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Steve wrote:

    >>>When I was with nthell they told me the same, I spoke to the tech support
    >>>(ha ha) persons supervisor, insisted they took the MAC address and then
    >>>went out for a meal. When I got back, as if by magic, everything worked
    >>>ok.
    >>>
    >>>NThelL still insisted there was no need to register the MAC address but
    >>>everyone from router manufacturers to users think you need to.
    >>>
    >>>The best advice I can give is persevere with them.

    >>But they aren't my problem, I can access the internet, and the outside
    >>world can access me, I just can't access anything behind the router from
    >>anywhere on my network, the only exception being that I can access via
    >>localhost on the host machine.

    > Firewalls are probably interfering - what are the OS's?
    > Have you enabled the local subnet in the firewalls?

    W2K with outpost.
    I've turned the router firewall off, so it can't be that'n and outpost
    seems to be acting normally.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 7, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>But they aren't my problem, I can access the internet, and the outside
    >>>world can access me, I just can't access anything behind the router from
    >>>anywhere on my network, the only exception being that I can access via
    >>>localhost on the host machine.

    >> Firewalls are probably interfering - what are the OS's?
    >> Have you enabled the local subnet in the firewalls?
    >>

    > W2K with outpost.
    > I've turned the router firewall off, so it can't be that'n and outpost
    > seems to be acting normally.

    Leave the router firewall ON! - it protects your network against the
    Internet nasties!! (I assume it's a fully NATted firewall?)
    Then turn off Outpost, and reboot - then retry (after checking that Outpost
    is still disabled)

    Noel Paton, Feb 7, 2006
  9. Noel Paton wrote:
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Noel Paton wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>Firewalls are probably interfering - what are the OS's?
    >>>Have you enabled the local subnet in the firewalls?
    >>>

    >>W2K with outpost.
    >>I've turned the router firewall off, so it can't be that'n and outpost
    >>seems to be acting normally.

    > Leave the router firewall ON! - it protects your network against the
    > Internet nasties!! (I assume it's a fully NATted firewall?)
    > Then turn off Outpost, and reboot - then retry (after checking that Outpost
    > is still disabled)

    OK, thanks, I'll give it a try and hopefully come back with a thank you.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 7, 2006
  10. Brian H¹© wrote:
    (snip)
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> Leave the router firewall ON! - it protects your network against the
    >> Internet nasties!! (I assume it's a fully NATted firewall?)
    >> Then turn off Outpost, and reboot - then retry (after checking that
    >> Outpost is still disabled)
    >>

    > OK, thanks, I'll give it a try and hopefully come back with a thank you.

    Nope, just the same, I type in the url for my website and get the
    routers setup utility page.

    Although, now, my laptop can access my server system as long as I
    navigate using it's ip number, but can't access any of the domains that
    I host via www.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 7, 2006
  11. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Guest

    RE: Dual core processors compared with single

    I'm about to buy a new system, and I am attracted to the AMD 64x2 (dual
    core) processor. The machine I'm looking at has one such processor that runs
    at 2.4 Ghz (per side, I think). How does that compare with, say, the Intel
    P4 running at 3.0? I don't want to buy new and already be behind the curve,
    but my senses tell me that a dual core running at 2.4 ( or is is 2.2?) would
    still outpace a single core running at 3.0 or even somewhat faster. Can
    anyone educate me?

    , Feb 8, 2006
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    > (snip)
    >> Noel Paton wrote:
    >>> Leave the router firewall ON! - it protects your network against the
    >>> Internet nasties!! (I assume it's a fully NATted firewall?)
    >>> Then turn off Outpost, and reboot - then retry (after checking that
    >>> Outpost is still disabled)
    >>>

    >> OK, thanks, I'll give it a try and hopefully come back with a thank you.

    > Nope, just the same, I type in the url for my website and get the routers
    > setup utility page.
    >
    > Although, now, my laptop can access my server system as long as I navigate
    > using it's ip number, but can't access any of the domains that I host via
    > www.

    This looks as if you've got entries in a HOSTS file - if so, remove them or
    rename the file

    Noel Paton, Feb 8, 2006
  13. Noel Paton wrote:
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>(snip)

    >>>OK, thanks, I'll give it a try and hopefully come back with a thank you.

    >>Nope, just the same, I type in the url for my website and get the routers
    >>setup utility page.
    >>
    >>Although, now, my laptop can access my server system as long as I navigate
    >>using it's ip number, but can't access any of the domains that I host via
    >>www.

    > This looks as if you've got entries in a HOSTS file - if so, remove them or
    > rename the file

    Even removing the Hosts file doesn't make any difference.
    I've tried renaming the index.html to index.htm as that is first in line
    in the http.conf, no joy, and if I add index.html at the end of the url
    I get a blank page and "Done" at the bottom of the screen.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 8, 2006