Belkin Wireless G Routers (sucks?)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zxcvbob, May 5, 2008.

  1. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    My Hawking wireless router went out late last night. So I went to
    Mega-Lo-Mart and bought a Belkin to replace it. I'm using WEP
    encryption with a 128-bit key because one of my older computers doesn't
    support WPA.

    I got it hooked up OK, and am able to connect to the Internet, but the
    computers cannot see each other. If I go into the router's setup page
    and access its host list, I can see the other computers. But I cannot
    ping them by their host names. (Pinging by IP address works) Also if I
    go into Windows My_Network_Places-> Entire_Network->
    Microsoft_Windows_Network, it takes a long time for "workgroup" to come
    up, then when I click on it it hangs, then times out and says I'm not
    authorized to the network (or something like that)

    BTW, I had the software firewalls disabled on the computers while I was
    doing all this because I know they can cause connection problems when
    setting up a new network.

    I was able to get one of my printers to work by assigning a static IP
    address. But it still doesn't show up in the router's host list. (so I
    have to access it with a numeric host address)

    I don't see anywhere in the router setup where I can disable any of the
    security features, other than setting up a DMZ for one computer.

    From all this, I'm guessing that I should have paid $10 more and bought
    a Linksys? (of course, then I might not have this great story...)

    Thanks,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, May 5, 2008

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:52:55 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

    [snip]

    >> I got it hooked up OK, and am able to connect to the Internet, but the
    >> computers cannot see each other. If I go into the router's setup page
    >> and access its host list, I can see the other computers. But I cannot
    >> ping them by their host names. (Pinging by IP address works) Also if I
    >> go into Windows My_Network_Places-> Entire_Network->
    >> Microsoft_Windows_Network, it takes a long time for "workgroup" to come
    >> up, then when I click on it it hangs, then times out and says I'm not
    >> authorized to the network (or something like that)

    [snip]

    >> From all this, I'm guessing that I should have paid $10 more and bought
    >> a Linksys? (of course, then I might not have this great story...)
    >>

    > Return it and buy what works.

    Got any suggestions? I thought this one would work. Thanks.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, May 5, 2008

  3. zxcvbob <> wrote in

    > My Hawking wireless router went out late last night. So I went to
    > Mega-Lo-Mart and bought a Belkin to replace it. I'm using WEP
    > encryption with a 128-bit key because one of my older computers doesn't
    > support WPA.
    >
    > I got it hooked up OK, and am able to connect to the Internet, but the
    > computers cannot see each other. If I go into the router's setup page
    > and access its host list, I can see the other computers. But I cannot
    > ping them by their host names. (Pinging by IP address works) Also if I
    > go into Windows My_Network_Places-> Entire_Network->
    > Microsoft_Windows_Network, it takes a long time for "workgroup" to come
    > up, then when I click on it it hangs, then times out and says I'm not
    > authorized to the network (or something like that)
    >
    > BTW, I had the software firewalls disabled on the computers while I was
    > doing all this because I know they can cause connection problems when
    > setting up a new network.
    >
    > I was able to get one of my printers to work by assigning a static IP
    > address. But it still doesn't show up in the router's host list. (so I
    > have to access it with a numeric host address)
    >
    > I don't see anywhere in the router setup where I can disable any of the
    > security features, other than setting up a DMZ for one computer.
    >
    > From all this, I'm guessing that I should have paid $10 more and bought
    > a Linksys? (of course, then I might not have this great story...)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Great story indeed! Linksys also has a
    dyn-O-mite 800-line real-person tech support.

    But, if I were going to get a Linksys, I'd go
    ahead and get the best they got (look at all
    those outer-space looking thangies all over it) :

    http://tinyurl.com/46vgxn

    Or maybe just get some other one that's easy to hook-up.

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* approved this message!

    "When I was just a little kid, one of my fondest dreams
    was of growing up to be an astronaut -- walking around
    on the moon and other planets in our awesome universe
    just looking for aliens to kill for America!" --Bucky Breeder

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ighu4gGlaUE

    Bucky Breeder, May 5, 2008
  4. zxcvbob

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:52:55 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

    You didn't say exactly what model, so I didn't look for a manual :)

    >My Hawking wireless router went out late last night. So I went to
    >Mega-Lo-Mart and bought a Belkin to replace it. I'm using WEP
    >encryption with a 128-bit key because one of my older computers doesn't
    >support WPA.
    >
    >I got it hooked up OK, and am able to connect to the Internet, but the
    >computers cannot see each other. If I go into the router's setup page

    Assuming some PCs wired and some wireless?

    Can you get 2 setup as wired and see if the ping by name is works?

    You didn't say what OS, best to switch on newest OS first, i.e. XP
    before 2000, before NT, before Win 9x. The first PC on will maintain the
    local browse name list and the others will find it.

    IIRC, mac address based broadcasts, ports UDP 138 , 137 , 139 and 445
    (Win 2000 and later the last one at least). You did say firewalls off,
    so check the router manual for any settings for the above.

    Check the router for NetBIOS options, you want to block these LAN <> WAN
    but allow on LAN.

    >and access its host list, I can see the other computers. But I cannot
    >ping them by their host names. (Pinging by IP address works) Also if I

    Host names pings aren't helpful in small networks (no DNS, no WINS),
    however the MS browser service should maintain a browser list on each PC
    anyway.

    >go into Windows My_Network_Places-> Entire_Network->
    >Microsoft_Windows_Network, it takes a long time for "workgroup" to come
    >up, then when I click on it it hangs, then times out and says I'm not
    >authorized to the network (or something like that)

    It can take up to 12 minutes for this to work. Although mentioned in the
    next 2 articles about larger scale LANS and domain controllers IIRC the
    timing is similar anyway.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305
    Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
    Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/43dce7f8-0741-4672-a7e3-762671110e9f1033.mspx
    How Computer Browser Service Works

    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_the_microsoft_computer_browser_service.htm
    What is the Microsoft Computer Browser service?

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/59166-35-computer-browser-service

    Check the event log for browser service errors.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875362
    The Computer Browser service does not start and event ID 7024 is logged
    when you restart your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

    How it works in the big scheme of things.

    nbtstat -a <IPaddress>

    helps when looking at naming issues, also the output of

    ipconfig/all

    although you shouldn't have any issues with the node type.

    Here is larger scale doc mentioning the OS order
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/support/chptr3.mspx?mfr=true
    in table 3.2

    >BTW, I had the software firewalls disabled on the computers while I was
    >doing all this because I know they can cause connection problems when
    >setting up a new network.
    >
    >I was able to get one of my printers to work by assigning a static IP
    >address. But it still doesn't show up in the router's host list. (so I

    It won't as the router isn't issuing a DHCP address.

    >have to access it with a numeric host address)

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, May 5, 2008
  5. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:52:55 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
    >

    > You didn't say exactly what model, so I didn't look for a manual :)

    They just call it "Belkin Wireless G Router", but I looked up the model
    number, it's F5D7230-4.

    >> My Hawking wireless router went out late last night. So I went to
    >> Mega-Lo-Mart and bought a Belkin to replace it. I'm using WEP
    >> encryption with a 128-bit key because one of my older computers doesn't
    >> support WPA.
    >>
    >> I got it hooked up OK, and am able to connect to the Internet, but the
    >> computers cannot see each other. If I go into the router's setup page

    > Assuming some PCs wired and some wireless?
    >
    > Can you get 2 setup as wired and see if the ping by name is works?

    That's a good idea. Currently all the PC's are wireless and the
    printers are wired. But I can shuffle them around when I get home.

    > You didn't say what OS, best to switch on newest OS first, i.e. XP
    > before 2000, before NT, before Win 9x. The first PC on will maintain the
    > local browse name list and the others will find it.

    I'm doing 90% of the work from a PC with XP Pro SP2. Then another
    that's using also XP but I'm not sure which version. I have another PC
    running Win 2000, and my kid has a Mac. (I'm saving the Mac for last)
    If I don't get NetBOIS working on the Mac, that's OK, but I think it was
    working with the old router.

    > IIRC, mac address based broadcasts, ports UDP 138 , 137 , 139 and 445
    > (Win 2000 and later the last one at least). You did say firewalls off,
    > so check the router manual for any settings for the above.
    >
    > Check the router for NetBIOS options, you want to block these LAN <> WAN
    > but allow on LAN.

    In the Configuring the Firewall section of the manual, it doesn't look
    like there are any setting except to enable/disable the firewall. (I'll
    try temporarily disabling it and see what happens.) But a couple of
    pages later the manual talks about IP filtering; I'll need to check and
    see if anything is being blocked there. That could be it.

    >> and access its host list, I can see the other computers. But I cannot
    >> ping them by their host names. (Pinging by IP address works) Also if I

    > Host names pings aren't helpful in small networks (no DNS, no WINS),
    > however the MS browser service should maintain a browser list on each PC
    > anyway.
    >
    >> go into Windows My_Network_Places-> Entire_Network->
    >> Microsoft_Windows_Network, it takes a long time for "workgroup" to come
    >> up, then when I click on it it hangs, then times out and says I'm not
    >> authorized to the network (or something like that)

    > It can take up to 12 minutes for this to work. Although mentioned in the
    > next 2 articles about larger scale LANS and domain controllers IIRC the
    > timing is similar anyway.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305
    > Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
    > Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
    >
    > http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/43dce7f8-0741-4672-a7e3-762671110e9f1033.mspx
    > How Computer Browser Service Works
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/what's_the_microsoft_computer_browser_service.htm
    > What is the Microsoft Computer Browser service?
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/59166-35-computer-browser-service
    >
    > Check the event log for browser service errors.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875362
    > The Computer Browser service does not start and event ID 7024 is logged
    > when you restart your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
    >

    > How it works in the big scheme of things.
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726989.aspx
    >
    > nbtstat -a <IPaddress>
    >
    > helps when looking at naming issues, also the output of
    >
    > ipconfig/all
    >
    > although you shouldn't have any issues with the node type.
    >
    > Here is larger scale doc mentioning the OS order
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/support/chptr3.mspx?mfr=true
    > in table 3.2

    I'd never heard of nbtstat before, at first I thought you had mistyped
    netstat.

    Thanks again,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, May 5, 2008
  6. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > Return it and buy what works.

    I went to Staples and bought a Linksys; I think the model number is
    WRT54GL (it's one of the commercial-looking ones with the rabbit ears.)

    I will take the Belkin POS back to Mega-Lo-Mart tonight.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, May 5, 2008