Belkin wireless G router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Nov 2, 2010.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.

    I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.

    Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    router that'd be good to.

    Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    available (2.00.20 IIRC)

    Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    warranty replacement.

    TIA

    Squigs
    Squiggle, Nov 2, 2010

  2. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    On Nov 3, 8:20 am, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    > but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    > speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    > just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    > me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    > to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    > on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >
    > Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    > router that'd be good to.
    >
    > Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    > available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >
    > Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    > warranty replacement.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Squigs

    Looks like i've answered my own question..

    http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/L2F3Q2T4

    Now an anonymous employee has written to online web site RealTech New
    claiming that a recent survey had been conducted of Belkin staff and
    the conclusion of several staff was that the products were not of a
    high standard.

    He said that the products "are such junk, when an internal survey was
    done, it was found that the majority of Belkin employees purchased
    competitors products for home use, even with ours being offered free,
    as they are of such poor quality".
    Squiggle, Nov 2, 2010

  3. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 8:20 am, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    >> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    >> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so
    >> was just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can
    >> tell me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time
    >> trying to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw
    >> the cisco on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    >> router that'd be good to.
    >>
    >> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    >> available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of
    >> a warranty replacement.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Squigs

    > Looks like i've answered my own question..
    >
    > http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/L2F3Q2T4
    >
    > Now an anonymous employee has written to online web site RealTech New
    > claiming that a recent survey had been conducted of Belkin staff and
    > the conclusion of several staff was that the products were not of a
    > high standard.
    >
    > He said that the products "are such junk, when an internal survey was
    > done, it was found that the majority of Belkin employees purchased
    > competitors products for home use, even with ours being offered free,
    > as they are of such poor quality".

    Handy to know, thanks Squiggs. I've been given the advice to stick to
    NetComm gear so far and it's served me well. Not that I'm looking to replace
    my router but I get asked all the time what's good. I'll know now to say
    "Not Belkin". ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Nov 2, 2010
  4. Squiggle

    PeeCee Guest

    "Squiggle" wrote in message

[...]

    I can only recall a couple of Belkins I've dealt with, neither were what I
    would call 'reliable'.

    One was a WiFi access point I could not get to talk to a a Dynalink single
    port Modem, nor could two other 'tech's the owner had tried.
    (solved with a new modem with built in WiFi)

    The other was the same as yours.
    In this case the Wifi was totally unreliable over a distance of 2 metres
    through one stud wall.
    Even directly wired it has not proven to be that good requiring rebooting
    every few day's.

    I note the high street retailers are not stocking them any more, usually a
    good sign they have not been a successful model.
    BTW do some more research on NetComm.
    NetComm is the parent of Dynalink and we all know how bad Dynalinks have
    been over the last 2-3 years.
    If you look at the NetComm website
    http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/dynalink you'll see they are still trying
    to flog very similar looking products to those that gave so much trouble.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Nov 3, 2010
  5. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    On Nov 3, 1:24 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "Squiggle"  wrote in message

    > I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    > but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    > speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    > just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    > me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    > to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    > on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >
    > Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    > router that'd be good to.
    >
    > Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    > available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >
    > Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    > warranty replacement.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Squigs
    >
    > I can only recall a couple of Belkins I've dealt with, neither were what I
    > would call 'reliable'.
    >
    > One was a WiFi access point I could not get to talk to a a Dynalink single
    > port Modem, nor could two other 'tech's the owner had tried.
    > (solved with a new modem with built in WiFi)
    >
    > The other was the same as yours.
    > In this case the Wifi was totally unreliable over a distance of 2 metres
    > through one stud wall.
    > Even directly wired it has not proven to be that good requiring rebooting
    > every few day's.
    >
    > I note the high street retailers are not stocking them any more, usually a
    > good sign they have not been a successful model.
    > BTW do some more research on NetComm.
    > NetComm is the parent of Dynalink and we all know how bad Dynalinks have
    > been over the last 2-3 years.
    > If you look at the NetComm websitehttp://www.netcomm.com.au/products/dynalinkyou'll see they are still trying
    > to flog very similar looking products to those that gave so much trouble.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Cheers Paul, i suspected as much.

    Looks like the flatmates will have to put up with Cat6 cables across
    the floor for a week or two till I buy a decent WiFi adsl2 router.
    If anybody wants to recommend a reasonable quality WiFi (802.11g is
    good enough) adsl2 router.

    Are dlinks still considered to be rubbish or did dlink sort out the
    firmware issues? (dsl604Ts are cheap on trademe)
    And the thomson 585v7 that telecom replaced them with.. still budget
    rubbish or something decent?

    TIA again
    Squiggle, Nov 3, 2010
  6. Squiggle

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 23:53:47 -0500, Tony <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >I purchased a Cisco (Linksys WAG160N) aout 3 months ago from DSE.
    >It installed easily and has not missed a beat. Much better than the Dynalink it
    >replaced (flakey as blazes).
    >I am no expert in wireless but I am delighted with it.

    Same story here with a Cisco (Linskys WRT 110) router. Our house has
    big, thick steel beams. The router is upstairs in my office with my PC
    and I have no problems using my wireless connection on my laptop
    downstairs.
    Donchano, Nov 3, 2010
  7. On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 3, 8:20 am, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    >> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    >> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    >> just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    >> me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    >> to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    >> on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    >> router that'd be good to.
    >>
    >> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    >> available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    >> warranty replacement.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Squigs

    >Looks like i've answered my own question..
    >
    >http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/L2F3Q2T4
    >
    >Now an anonymous employee has written to online web site RealTech New
    >claiming that a recent survey had been conducted of Belkin staff and
    >the conclusion of several staff was that the products were not of a
    >high standard.
    >
    >He said that the products "are such junk, when an internal survey was
    >done, it was found that the majority of Belkin employees purchased
    >competitors products for home use, even with ours being offered free,
    >as they are of such poor quality".

    Usual Internet bull shit only One persons comment.? have you updated
    the Firmware..?

    That the first thing any one does.
    William Brown, Nov 3, 2010
  8. Squiggle

    Murray Symon Guest

    William Brown wrote:

    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Nov 3, 8:20 am, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >>> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    >>> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    >>> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    >>> just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    >>> me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    >>> to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    >>> on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    >>> router that'd be good to.
    >>>
    >>> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    >>> available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    >>> warranty replacement.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Squigs

    >>Looks like i've answered my own question..
    >>
    >>http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/L2F3Q2T4
    >>
    >>Now an anonymous employee has written to online web site RealTech New
    >>claiming that a recent survey had been conducted of Belkin staff and
    >>the conclusion of several staff was that the products were not of a
    >>high standard.
    >>
    >>He said that the products "are such junk, when an internal survey was
    >>done, it was found that the majority of Belkin employees purchased
    >>competitors products for home use, even with ours being offered free,
    >>as they are of such poor quality".

    > Usual Internet bull shit only One persons comment.? have you updated
    > the Firmware..?
    >
    > That the first thing any one does.

    Why? Are they all sold with faulty firmware?
    I've had at least one case where a firmware upgrade was worse
    than the original, so I reverted back to the original version.
    Murray Symon, Nov 3, 2010
  9. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    On Nov 3, 6:01 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 23:53:47 -0500, Tony <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >I purchased a Cisco (Linksys WAG160N) aout 3 months ago from DSE.
    > >It installed easily and has not missed a beat. Much better than the Dynalink it
    > >replaced (flakey as blazes).
    > >I am no expert in wireless but I am delighted with it.

    > Same story here with a Cisco (Linskys WRT 110) router. Our house has
    > big, thick steel beams. The router is upstairs in my office with my PC
    > and I have no problems using my wireless connection on my laptop
    > downstairs.

    thanks Tony & Donchano

    the idea of an openWRT or other opensource compatible router is
    appealing strongly to the side of me that like to play with the guts
    of things. Might spend a bit more than I wanted to and get a linksys.
    Squiggle, Nov 3, 2010
  10. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    On Nov 3, 7:21 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Nov 3, 8:20 am, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > >> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    > >> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    > >> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.

    > >> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    > >> just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    > >> me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    > >> to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    > >> on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.

    > >> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    > >> router that'd be good to.

    > >> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    > >> available (2.00.20 IIRC)

    > >> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    > >> warranty replacement.

    > >> TIA

    > >> Squigs

    > >Looks like i've answered my own question..

    > >http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/L2F3Q2T4

    > >Now an anonymous employee has written to online web site RealTech New
    > >claiming that a recent survey had been conducted of Belkin staff and
    > >the conclusion of several staff was that the products were not of a
    > >high standard.

    > >He said that the products "are such junk, when an internal survey was
    > >done, it was found that the majority of Belkin employees purchased
    > >competitors products for home use, even with ours being offered free,
    > >as they are of such poor quality".

    > Usual Internet bull shit  only One persons comment.? have you updated
    > the Firmware..?
    >
    > That the first thing any one does.

    Usual Woger level of comprehension I see.. did you not notice

    >>> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    >>> available (2.00.20 IIRC)

    and no, not just one persons opinion, I found several others
    expressing similar sentiments about belkin being poorly supported
    rubbish, particularly on the whirlpool.com.au archives.
    Squiggle, Nov 3, 2010
  11. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    On 3/11/2010 8:20 a.m., Squiggle wrote:
    > I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    > but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    > speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    > just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    > me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    > to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    > on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >
    > Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    > router that'd be good to.
    >
    > Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    > available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >
    > Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    > warranty replacement.

    Wireless or wired?

    if wireless, thats what I get on any gear here, depending on if anyone
    is cooking and what the flatmates N network is doing at the time.
    Richard, Nov 3, 2010
  12. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    On 3/11/2010 5:17 p.m., Squiggle wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 1:24 pm, "PeeCee"<> wrote:
    >> "Squiggle" wrote in message

    >> I picked on of these up for use in the new flat i've just moved into,
    >> but so far it seems a little flaky. Says it connected at a reasonable
    >> speed but throughput is slow and intermitttant.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure whether its the router or the DSL connection here, so was
    >> just wondering if the are any ISP helldesk types around that can tell
    >> me whether these things are known garbage and save me some time trying
    >> to find a non-existant fault in the flat wiring. I'll throw the cisco
    >> on the line tonight to see if it is the router or the line.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, if somebody can tell me thses are a generally reliable
    >> router that'd be good to.
    >>
    >> Particular model is F5D7634-4 v2, firmware is the latest version
    >> available (2.00.20 IIRC)
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I purchased it from grays online so not much chance of a
    >> warranty replacement.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Squigs
    >>
    >> I can only recall a couple of Belkins I've dealt with, neither were what I
    >> would call 'reliable'.
    >>
    >> One was a WiFi access point I could not get to talk to a a Dynalink single
    >> port Modem, nor could two other 'tech's the owner had tried.
    >> (solved with a new modem with built in WiFi)
    >>
    >> The other was the same as yours.
    >> In this case the Wifi was totally unreliable over a distance of 2 metres
    >> through one stud wall.
    >> Even directly wired it has not proven to be that good requiring rebooting
    >> every few day's.
    >>
    >> I note the high street retailers are not stocking them any more, usually a
    >> good sign they have not been a successful model.
    >> BTW do some more research on NetComm.
    >> NetComm is the parent of Dynalink and we all know how bad Dynalinks have
    >> been over the last 2-3 years.
    >> If you look at the NetComm websitehttp://www.netcomm.com.au/products/dynalinkyou'll see they are still trying
    >> to flog very similar looking products to those that gave so much trouble.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > Cheers Paul, i suspected as much.
    >
    > Looks like the flatmates will have to put up with Cat6 cables across
    > the floor for a week or two till I buy a decent WiFi adsl2 router.
    > If anybody wants to recommend a reasonable quality WiFi (802.11g is
    > good enough) adsl2 router.
    >
    > Are dlinks still considered to be rubbish or did dlink sort out the
    > firmware issues? (dsl604Ts are cheap on trademe)
    > And the thomson 585v7 that telecom replaced them with.. still budget
    > rubbish or something decent?
    >
    > TIA again

    Netgear dg 834g - been rock solid on the installs of them I have, Dont
    think they have ever needed a restart other than when ISPs have gone and
    got things stuck in a PPP up but no routes situation.
    Richard, Nov 3, 2010
  13. Squiggle

    John Little Guest

    On Nov 3, 5:53 pm, Tony <> wrote:

    > I purchased a Cisco (Linksys WAG160N) aout 3 months ago from DSE.

    I have one and while it connects well, much better than the one it
    replaced, it has two significant problems:

    - There's a long-standing fault, that randomly causes different
    devices on the subnet not to see each other; wireless isolation mode
    gets turned on, and with version 1 of the *hardware* the problem is
    not fixable in firmware. This usually only affects the scanner on my
    printer. A reset and the scanner works. (Maybe yours is version 2?).
    - Traffic statistics are completely absent. All I want is internet
    totals by mac address, but I'd settle for traffic totals for the ADSL
    connection.

    I've considered using OpenWrt, but when I looked I couldn't find an
    image doing both ADSL and wireless.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Nov 3, 2010