    (nothing at all infact) has anyone heard of or experienced a similar problem
    with this device or any other? Ive checked for hardware and driver problems,
    all seems fine.

    Luke Holland, May 21, 2005

  2. Luke Holland

    Alun Bell Guest

    In message <BEB4FCD5.37B%>, Luke Holland
    <> writes
    >I am having problems with one of the computers on my home network which
    >includes 2 desktops and one laptop. Everything is linked wirelessly to a
    >linksys wireless ADSL router.
    >The problem desktop (all windows XP) is having problems connecting to the
    >router, it was working until recently and no major changes have been made to
    >the system which would warrant it loosing the connection, its still in range
    >of the router as my laptop can get 80% reception in the same place and it
    >can detect the router but when I press connect nothing happens. My thoughts
    >are that its a problem with the hardware wireless card which is a Belkin
    >wireless f7000 I've been on the belkin website and found nothing of any use
    >(nothing at all infact) has anyone heard of or experienced a similar problem
    >with this device or any other? Ive checked for hardware and driver problems,
    >all seems fine.

    I've had lots of problems with this brand of NIC (7000 series),
    although generally Belkin kit seems fine. I ended up replacing the cards
    after one problem on top of another with different PCs.

    Anyway, to try to resolve your current issue, have you got WEP enabled,
    or any other security? If so, turn it off for a little while and see
    what happens. I had one card which just wouldn't work with WEP, but was
    fine otherwise, even though it had been fine with WEP for six months!
    One day, it just ... stopped.

    Have you tried reinstalling/updating the drivers (there are fairly
    recently updated drivers for these cards on the Belkin site)? I know
    it's frustrating when the system was working and then fails for no
    reason, but try everything methodically, including changing channels on
    the router and cards in case you're getting interference (again, the
    7000s seem much more sensitive to this than some of the other NICs we
    use), swapping for the good NIC from your other desktop, and even
    stepping down the speed from 54g etc.

    If all else fails, bin it and get a different one. 54g cards are dirt
    cheap these days.

    Good luck
    --
    Alun Bell