Belkin wireless card causes XP to freeze

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ian, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Hi,

    I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it worked
    fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now have the DSL
    modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and I have installed
    a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
    The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
    internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
    the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does this
    every time I connect to the internet.
    Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix it?
    I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I have also
    uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it, I have
    uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the internet.
    I have used the same access point with my laptop with a belkin
    wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
    I have win XP pro SP2.

    thanks in advance

    Ian

    Ian, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Ian

    Malke Guest

    Ian wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it worked
    > fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now have the DSL
    > modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and I have installed
    > a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
    > The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
    > internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
    > the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does this
    > every time I connect to the internet.
    > Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix it?
    > I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I have also
    > uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it, I have
    > uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the internet.
    > I have used the same access point with my laptop with a belkin
    > wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
    > I have win XP pro SP2.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Ian

    Try disabling the Belkin wireless connectivity manager and use the
    Windows Wireless manager instead. You disable the Belkin manager from
    within that program.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Malke <> wrote in message news:<#>...
    > Ian wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it worked
    > > fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now have the DSL
    > > modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and I have installed
    > > a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
    > > The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
    > > internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
    > > the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does this
    > > every time I connect to the internet.
    > > Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix it?
    > > I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I have also
    > > uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it, I have
    > > uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the internet.
    > > I have used the same access point with my laptop with a belkin
    > > wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
    > > I have win XP pro SP2.
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Ian

    > Try disabling the Belkin wireless connectivity manager and use the
    > Windows Wireless manager instead. You disable the Belkin manager from
    > within that program.
    >
    > Malke

    Malke,

    I have allready uninstalled all the software that came with the access
    point and wireless network card, so I am just using the windows
    wireless manager, the exact same problem occurs.

    Do you have any other ideas??

    Ian

    Ian, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Ian

    Malke Guest

    Ian wrote:

    > Malke <> wrote in message
    >> Ian wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it
    >> > worked fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now
    >> > have the DSL modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and
    >> > I have installed a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
    >> > The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
    >> > internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
    >> > the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does
    >> > this every time I connect to the internet.
    >> > Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix
    >> > it? I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I
    >> > have also uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it,
    >> > I have uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the
    >> > internet. I have used the same access point with my laptop with a
    >> > belkin wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
    >> > I have win XP pro SP2.
    >> >
    >> > thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > Ian

    >> Try disabling the Belkin wireless connectivity manager and use the
    >> Windows Wireless manager instead. You disable the Belkin manager from
    >> within that program.
    >>
    >> Malke

    > Malke,
    >
    > I have allready uninstalled all the software that came with the access
    > point and wireless network card, so I am just using the windows
    > wireless manager, the exact same problem occurs.

    1. Is the computer 100% malware-free?
    2. Are there any clues in Event Viewer? Start>Run eventvwr.msc [enter]
    3. Reseat the wireless card - I assume it is pci.
    4. Test with a different pci wireless card - perhaps the one you have is
    defective.
    5. I assume you have the latest drivers from Belkin's website for the
    card.

    Malke

    Malke, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Ian

    Andrew Guest

    What make of motherboard do you have and what CPU are you using. Might be
    that the card is hogging the PCI bus when other hardware wants to use the
    PCI bus it upsets the netwrok card. There may be an option to enable
    delayed PCI transaction (try enabling it) and on the same screen another
    option called PCI Latency Timer; best performance setting for this is 32 but
    when you have devices hogging the PCI bus setting to 16 can help.

    Andy

    Andrew, Apr 2, 2005
  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > What make of motherboard do you have and what CPU are you using. Might be
    > that the card is hogging the PCI bus when other hardware wants to use the
    > PCI bus it upsets the netwrok card. There may be an option to enable
    > delayed PCI transaction (try enabling it) and on the same screen another
    > option called PCI Latency Timer; best performance setting for this is 32 but
    > when you have devices hogging the PCI bus setting to 16 can help.

    Thanks for all your help.
    I talked to Belkin technical support and they said that the windows
    firewall and not having your internet settings on never dial a
    connection were the main causes of windows freezing. I disabled the
    firewall and this made it better allthough it still froze after about
    20 minutes on average.
    I gave up on the Belkin card and took it back and swapped it for a
    D-Link and it worked fine straight away, it still freezes about every
    3 or 4 hours but it is a lot better than before.

    I have a P4 800 speed with a gigabyte motherboard, where do I find the
    PCI transaction settings?

    Ian

    Ian, Apr 3, 2005