Belkin WIFI Card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by BJH, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. BJH

    BJH Guest

    Hi

    I'm trying to install a Belkin WIFI card into a W98SE PC. The card calls
    for PCI V2.1 which the machine has, its an ASUS mother board from 1998 with
    a PII-333 processor.

    I've upgraded the BIOS to the most current and I've just reinstalled
    Windows with ACPI.

    However, when I fit the card as per the install instructions, i.e. install
    the Belkin software first, switch off the PC, install the card and switch
    on.

    The PC doesn't recognise the card as new hardware.

    I've called Belkin without any success.

    Any suggestions?

    Or is it a dead loss?

    --
    Best regards
    Barry
    BJH, Dec 29, 2004

  2. BJH

    mikeFNB Guest

    it might be that the m/b has numbered pci slots and one is the primary.
    try moving out the board which is in the first slot, and reinstall it in
    another.
    check all is ok, then put wireless card in that one.

    a good pointer as to the 'truth' about your motherboard and it's
    capabilities and if it reqiures any additional updating is to download and
    run AIDA32
    that wil tell you all you need to know.

    win98se should support the belkin.

    you might also find it helpful to visit windows update and let it do it's
    bit.

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 29, 2004

  3. BJH

    Eric P. Guest

    I'm using a Belkin F5D7000df PCI 802.11g card in a Pentium II 333MHz
    computer with Intel Portland PD440FX motherboard from 1997 for an
    Internet/Network connection with a 802.11b Draytek Vigor 2600We ADSL
    Router/Wireless LAN.

    The computer with the Belkin card runs Windows 98SE and is on a
    different floor, the Belkin card works without problem.
    Detection of the card went as described in the instructions.

    Sometimes however it gets subnet mask 255.255.0.0 from DHCP iso of
    255.255.255.0 I expect.
    This is not the case when I use a different (external USB)card on the
    same computer.

    I would follow all Mike's good suggestions and when that doesn't work
    exchange the card with a different one and try again.

    Eric P., Dec 30, 2004