Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) and Channel 13. Notes on Pre-N Notebook card (F5

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John, Jul 25, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    To try to overcome problems with numerous local networks I set my
    router (a Belkin F5D8230-4 v2) to select channel automatically. It
    turns out it quite likes to go to channel 13 (this is in the UK -
    legal here). I am able to confirm that I get the best file transfer
    rates on this.

    If the router goes to channel 13, my Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter
    (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) loses the connection when managed using Belkins
    own software. After much messing about I was able to establish, using
    Network Stumbler, that the adapter can see channel 13. I also found
    that it was possible to connect on channel 13 if I managed the adapter
    using windows (XP) software.

    Belkin tech support were, of course, completely useless and had no
    idea about this.

    For what its worth I also found that the Belkin Pre-N Notebook card
    (F5D8010 ver 1001uk) worked correctly with channel 13 even when using
    the Belkin software.

    The Belkin Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011 ver 1000uk) seems to be
    incapable of functioning on channel 13 at all.

    Finally, and perhaps most confusingly, my other router, a Wireless G
    Plus (F5D7231-4 ver 3000uk), has channel 13 selectable through its web
    interface but if either channel 12 or 13 are selected, it actually
    goes to channel 1. I wasted a fair bit of time discovering this!!

    Hope the info helps someone and perhaps Belkin will get their act
    together and make sure that both hardware and software supplied in the
    UK are channel 13 compatible.

    ***IMPORTANT***
    Please do not reply to
    This is an antispam address.
    Please replace effluent with archway.

    John, Jul 25, 2009

  2. John

    Daniel Guest

    RE: Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) and Channel 13

    Hi John

    What i would suggest is use either one, either the utility that comes with
    belkin or window but never use both. Other than that try assigning a channel
    manually rather than letting it run it course.

    Regard Daniel

    Daniel, Jul 27, 2009