Belkin N wireless router help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Soundbytes, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Soundbytes

    Soundbytes Guest

    Hello
    Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
    wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
    wireless ones.

    Anyone know what the problem is?

    All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    worked fine with the last router.

    Thanks

    Gordon
    Soundbytes, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Soundbytes

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:34:10 GMT, Soundbytes wrote:

    Another one, you don't appear to be the owner of home.com domain so
    unless they have allowed you to use thier mail server, think about it.

    Try reading this about avoiding spam in newsgroups,
    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_news_troubleshooting_howavoid
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/yoe4wn

    >Hello
    > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    >was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    >warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    >works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
    >wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    >straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    >have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    >turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    >address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the

    Guessing the wireless PCs are okay if hardwired to the new router?

    The difference between the output of

    ipconfig/all

    run on your computer, a wireless computer before repair and after are?

    >wireless ones.
    >
    >Anyone know what the problem is?

    If it's not sig strength, encryption and basic wireless config. Is the
    IP range for DHCP on the new router the same as the old router?

    Is the DHCP lease time 1 day, 1 week or whatever the new Belkin default
    is?

    >All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    >worked fine with the last router.

    If you assign 1 of the wireless systems a static IP in the new router
    range does it work?

    Assume the new router (192.168.0.1) has a DHCP range 192.168.0.2 to
    192.168.0.100 [you should be able to sets this to cope with just your
    few machines]. Set a wireless PC to static (manual IP address)
    192.168.0.120 , gateway as the router 192.168.0.1 and whatever the
    subnet mask is and DNS servers, get those from the working ipconfig/all.

    If this works after reboots on 1 or more wireless systems then it's
    related to DHCP issues, perhaps a firewall not allowing initial
    connection. Maybe it's a driver not loading fast enough.

    Do the ipconfig/all check and aet at least 1 wireless system to a static
    IP address.

    Me
    why?, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Soundbytes

    Soundbytes Guest

    >Hello
    > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    >was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    >warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    >works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is
    >cable
    >wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    >straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    >have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    >turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    >address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the

    Guessing the wireless PCs are okay if hardwired to the new router?

    All work ok when wired

    The difference between the output of

    ipconfig/all

    run on your computer, a wireless computer before repair and after are?

    >wireless ones.
    >
    >Anyone know what the problem is?

    If it's not sig strength, encryption and basic wireless config. Is the
    IP range for DHCP on the new router the same as the old router?

    Yes

    Is the DHCP lease time 1 day, 1 week or whatever the new Belkin default
    is?

    Lease time is "Forever"

    >All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    >worked fine with the last router.

    If you assign 1 of the wireless systems a static IP in the new router
    range does it work?

    already did that, I restarted the PC and it worked straight away, then came
    back switched it on an hour later and had the same problem

    Assume the new router (192.168.0.1) has a DHCP range 192.168.0.2 to
    192.168.0.100 [you should be able to sets this to cope with just your
    few machines]. Set a wireless PC to static (manual IP address)
    192.168.0.120 , gateway as the router 192.168.0.1 and whatever the
    subnet mask is and DNS servers, get those from the working ipconfig/all.

    If this works after reboots on 1 or more wireless systems then it's
    related to DHCP issues, perhaps a firewall not allowing initial
    connection. Maybe it's a driver not loading fast enough.

    Do the ipconfig/all check and aet at least 1 wireless system to a static
    IP address.

    Me

    Hi Me
    Thanks for the help (also about the email address, I never thought about
    that OOPS)

    OK everything seems to check out OK, I did give one wireless system a static
    ip and it worked for the first couple of restarts but when left for an hour
    it had the same problem.
    There is one thing I would like to ask before I try it, the router has a
    wi-fi protected set up which is enabled, would it be ok to disable it or
    more to the point could this be the problem? also a feature called WAN ping
    blocking, which is also enabled could that be the problem? (I really don't
    think it is that but it's worth asking I think) also I did notice when I did
    ipconfig/all that ip routing enabled = No

    anyway Me, thanks for the help so far.

    Cheers
    Soundbytes, Apr 7, 2008
  4. Soundbytes

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:24:31 +0000, Soundbytes wrote:

    > Thanks for the help (also about the email address, I never thought about
    > that OOPS)

    The one you're using now is no better. How do you know someone hasn't
    registered that domain (or will at some time in the future). The proper
    way to handle this is to use a fake email address that ends in "invalid",
    as mine is for example.

    Dan C, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Soundbytes

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:24:31 GMT, Soundbytes wrote:

    :) you could fix your quoting > in replies and avoid the while .com
    issue in the email addy, it's not needed and someday somebody could
    register wits-end-again.com :-( like in 5 minutes.....

    It's a bit difficult to follow reples to any questions when at the same
    level as the answers,

    at least it's inline question / answer pairs.

    >>Hello
    >> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    >>was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    >>warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    >>works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is
    >>cable
    >>wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    >>straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    >>have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    >>turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    >>address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the

    >Guessing the wireless PCs are okay if hardwired to the new router?
    >
    >All work ok when wired

    Fine, not less likely router.

    >The difference between the output of
    >
    >ipconfig/all
    >
    >run on your computer, a wireless computer before repair and after are?
    >
    >>wireless ones.
    >>
    >>Anyone know what the problem is?

    >If it's not sig strength, encryption and basic wireless config. Is the
    >IP range for DHCP on the new router the same as the old router?
    >
    >Yes
    >
    >Is the DHCP lease time 1 day, 1 week or whatever the new Belkin default
    >is?
    >
    >Lease time is "Forever"

    So Win should just be verifying a lease it has, although still goes
    through the DHCP request.

    Not usually a good idea, hours or weeks and remember to set up SSID, MAC
    address filtering.

    >>All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    >>worked fine with the last router.

    >If you assign 1 of the wireless systems a static IP in the new router
    >range does it work?
    >
    >already did that, I restarted the PC and it worked straight away, then came
    >back switched it on an hour later and had the same problem

    Always an hour, power saver options disables WIFI NIC? SO no service
    pack / patch updates. Perhaps change the power scheme on a wireless PC
    to always on.

    What about the Windows event logs, check for entries when it doesn't
    reconnect.

    >Assume the new router (192.168.0.1) has a DHCP range 192.168.0.2 to
    >192.168.0.100 [you should be able to sets this to cope with just your
    >few machines]. Set a wireless PC to static (manual IP address)

    <snip>

    >Do the ipconfig/all check and aet at least 1 wireless system to a static
    >IP address.
    >
    >Me
    >
    >Hi Me
    > Thanks for the help (also about the email address, I never thought about
    >that OOPS)
    >
    >OK everything seems to check out OK, I did give one wireless system a static
    >ip and it worked for the first couple of restarts but when left for an hour

    If it's always an hour then check wireless PC WIFI NIC options and
    router log. The 1st renew of an IP addy isn't an hour. Unless the lease
    time in ipconfig/all isn't showing as forever even after a repair.

    >it had the same problem.

    But if it's static and NOT DHCP still with loss of connection , you are
    looking for non DHCP issue now.

    >There is one thing I would like to ask before I try it, the router has a
    >wi-fi protected set up which is enabled, would it be ok to disable it or

    Pointers to manuals like URL and page number are handy for specifics.

    Not if all the systems are sharing the correct settings, you could try
    of course. With the internet connection disabled and for a few minutes
    with security off.

    Your router log should provide a list of IPs to MACs these are okay and
    are your PCs? Sure it's your router and not someone else connection you
    are getting :)

    >more to the point could this be the problem? also a feature called WAN ping
    >blocking, which is also enabled could that be the problem? (I really don't

    That would be incoming pings from the ISP side of the connection, AFAIK
    not an issue with ex-BY / VM. You may like to ask in the VM broadband
    newsgroup / VM network selfhelp.

    >think it is that but it's worth asking I think) also I did notice when I did
    >ipconfig/all that ip routing enabled = No

    That's okay, if you have 2 NICs in a PC, dual homed,
    http://www.answers.com/topic/dual-homed-host?cat=technology
    then you need IP routing enabled to traverse across the 2 NICs.

    why?, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Soundbytes

    Guest

    Soundbytes wrote:
    > Hello
    > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    > was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    > warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    > works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
    > wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    > straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    > have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    > turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    > address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
    > wireless ones.
    >
    > Anyone know what the problem is?
    >
    > All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    > worked fine with the last router.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    Did you set an ssid name?.

    I don't know to what extent you know your router and the wireless
    software on the computers but,

    Have you considered using wpa or wpa2 which is secure

    Set up the router first for wireless, create a unique ssid name,
    enable wireless, set to wpa psk (pre shared key) and aes for
    encryption then a good password. Common words and names in wpa2 can be
    cracked with wireless cracking sofware in moments so create a password
    like M,CTd8&5^/"P, this will be very secure

    Then in the computer software set the ssid to the same as the routers,
    set to wpa or wpa2 then psk\aes then the
    same password as you set in the router

    But always set up the router first, then the wireless software to
    reflect the router settings
    , Apr 8, 2008
  7. Soundbytes

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Soundbytes wrote:
    > > Hello
    > > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    > > was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    > > warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    > > works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
    > > wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    > > straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    > > have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    > > turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    > > address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
    > > wireless ones.
    > >
    > > Anyone know what the problem is?
    > >
    > > All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    > > worked fine with the last router.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Gordon

    ------------------------------------
    also

    I would remove and reinstall the software and reset the router if you
    follow these general directions, make
    sure your wireless cards software on the computers supports either wpa
    or wpa2

    Also youtube has some nice videos of different router and card
    software setup
    ------------------------------------
    > Did you set an ssid name?.
    >
    > I don't know to what extent you know your router and the wireless
    > software on the computers but,
    >
    > Have you considered using wpa or wpa2 which is secure
    >
    > Set up the router first for wireless, create a unique ssid name,
    > enable wireless, set to wpa psk (pre shared key) and aes for
    > encryption then a good password. Common words and names in wpa2 can be
    > cracked with wireless cracking sofware in moments so create a password
    > like M,CTd8&5^/"P, this will be very secure
    >
    > Then in the computer software set the ssid to the same as the routers,
    > set to wpa or wpa2 then psk\aes then the
    > same password as you set in the router
    >
    > But always set up the router first, then the wireless software to
    > reflect the router settings
    , Apr 8, 2008
  8. Soundbytes

    Mahatma Coat Guest

    Soundbytes wrote:
    > Hello
    > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
    > was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
    > warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
    > works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
    > wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
    > straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
    > have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
    > turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
    > address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
    > wireless ones.
    >
    > Anyone know what the problem is?
    >
    > All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
    > worked fine with the last router.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    I'm no expert here but from similar problems I've had in the past are
    you sure the wireless pc,s are compatible with wireless N? You may have
    to set the routers wireless type to G or whatever your pc's use. When I
    got a wireless G router an old laptop with A wouldn't work with it,
    though the other later machines did. I had to set the router to mixed
    and then it all worked.

    Mat
    Mahatma Coat, Apr 8, 2008
  9. Soundbytes

    seaweedsl Guest

    On Apr 8, 2:21 am, wrote:

    > Did you set an ssid name?.
    >
    > Set up the router first for wireless, create a unique ssid name,
    > enable wireless, set to wpa psk (pre shared key) and aes for
    > encryption then a good password. Common words and names in wpa2 can be
    > cracked with wireless cracking sofware in moments so create a password
    > like M,CTd8&5^/"P, this will be very secure

    I was thinking it's an SSID issue as well. But the usual advice is
    to troubleshoot wireless with security (WPA) off first, then, when
    it's all working right, turn it on in the router and clients.
    seaweedsl, Apr 9, 2008
  10. Soundbytes

    P.Schuman Guest

    Soundbytes wrote:
    > Hello
    > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last
    > router was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things
    > as soon as the warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!)
    > anyway, the new one works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a
    > little problem, My PC is cable wired to it, but the rest of the home
    > is wireless, my computer connects straight away when I turn the PC
    > on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I have to repair the
    > connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they turn on, if
    > not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip address
    > needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
    > wireless ones.
    >
    > Anyone know what the problem is?
    >
    > All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek,
    > they all worked fine with the last router.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    step thru the basics -

    #1 - When the wireless computers are on,
    what "wireless network" does it indicate is available
    by clicking on the icon usually in the tray
    or doing a "View Avail Wireless Networks" command ?

    #2 - do the computers have WEP or WPA previously defined for security ?

    #3 - does the wireless router have any security turned on by default ?
    WEP or WPA ?

    you get the idea...
    P.Schuman, Apr 9, 2008