Belkin N Router assistance req'd

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Andy, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi, I've just purchased and set up a Belkin Wireless N bundle
    F5D8053/F5D8233-4 which is mostly working ok, but I do have a few questions
    that I hope you can help me with.

    1. When I look at the wireless status in Vista's 'Network and Sharing
    Centre' I see that the signal strength averages 'Good' and the speed
    averages 108 Mbps. This seems a long way off the claimed 300 Mbps. What sort
    of speed should I realisticly expect?

    2. When I perform a search for available wireless networks I see my network
    amongst others. When I hover my mouse over my network/router icon to see the
    properties, it reports the 'Radio Type' as 802.11g. Surely this should be
    802.11n ? Why is this?

    3. The last thing is that I now get lag problems when playing Team Fortress
    2. About every 3 or 4 minutes the game will freeze for about 5 seconds, then
    carry on, but obviously everything has jumped forward a bit. I know this
    must be related to the router/wireless setup because the game ran without a
    glitch before, when I had a network cable straight from the PC to the modem.
    Before I had pings of under 20, now it's more than 150. Is there any
    settings I need to make, or is a wireless setup just not sufficient for
    gaming?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andy
    Andy, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Hi
    Check carefully the configuration of the Router and the cards, and make sure
    it is set to N and to g.
    In any case you should know that the "Speed" rating in the Networking world
    is Not the Rating of the functional performance but the core performance of
    the Network chipset. http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    As for gaming. Wireless is Not the Best medium for efficient gaming. Due to
    the additional overhead in the Wireless processing and signal environmental
    noise, the pings of the Wireless connection are longer and much more
    variable than wired connections.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 22, 2008

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply,

    I have the Wireless Mode set to b, g and n. Bandwidth is 20/40 MHZ. Security
    is WPA-Personal ( PSK ) TKIP+AES. QoS is on and the router firewall is on.

    I guessed that the 300 Mbps on the box was an exageration, although i
    thought the idea of wireless N was that it was fast enough for things like
    online gaming.

    I guess i'll just have to go back to the extra long cable down the stairs,
    across the hall, through the living room and into the modem :eek:)

    Thanks, Andy

    Andy, Feb 22, 2008
  4. Andy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Feb 22, 2:19 pm, "Andy" <> wrote:
    > Hi, I've just purchased and set up a Belkin Wireless N bundle
    > F5D8053/F5D8233-4 which is mostly working ok, but I do have a few questions
    > that I hope you can help me with.
    >
    > 1. When I look at the wireless status in Vista's 'Network and Sharing
    > Centre' I see that the signal strength averages 'Good' and the speed
    > averages 108 Mbps. This seems a long way off the claimed 300 Mbps. What sort
    > of speed should I realisticly expect?
    >
    > 2. When I perform a search for available wireless networks I see my network
    > amongst others. When I hover my mouse over my network/router icon to see the
    > properties, it reports the 'Radio Type' as 802.11g. Surely this should be
    > 802.11n ? Why is this?
    >
    > 3.  The last thing is that I now get lag problems when playing Team Fortress
    > 2. About every 3 or 4 minutes the game will freeze for about 5 seconds, then
    > carry on, but obviously everything has jumped forward a bit. I know this
    > must be related to the router/wireless setup because the game ran without a
    > glitch before, when I had a network cable straight from the PC to the modem.
    > Before I had pings of under 20, now it's more than 150. Is there any
    > settings I need to make, or is a wireless setup just not sufficient for
    > gaming?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andy

    For #1 and #2, you must ensure that you are using the latest up to
    date drivers in order to get the max wireless speed. This is true for
    any version of Windows.

    Also, depending on the distance between the wireless adapter and
    router or additional signals (wireless phone, cell phone, microwaves
    etc.) the wireless signals may degrade down.

    Also, 802.11n signals may be limited to one one channel on the router.
    smlunatick, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Andy

    John Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick reply,
    >
    > I have the Wireless Mode set to b, g and n. Bandwidth is 20/40 MHZ.
    > Security is WPA-Personal ( PSK ) TKIP+AES. QoS is on and the router
    > firewall is on.
    > I guessed that the 300 Mbps on the box was an exageration, although i
    > thought the idea of wireless N was that it was fast enough for things
    > like online gaming.
    >
    > I guess i'll just have to go back to the extra long cable down the
    > stairs, across the hall, through the living room and into the modem
    > :eek:)

    I have a Linksys WAG325N router and a Linksys WUSB300N USB adapter for my
    laptop and the laptop reports a 300Mbps connection to the router. I'd
    suggest that your problem is with the laptop end as it's reporting the
    connection to be G rather than N. I'm using Windows to configure the laptop
    adapter instead of the Linksys utility, so I'd give that a try.

    John
    John, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks for the responses guys,

    Is it me or has Belkin got a messed up website/support? I have Vista 64,
    and on the U.K Belkin site there is no 'USB Adapter' driver for this
    operating system, and on the U.S Belkin site, the most recent driver has a
    newer date, but older version number than the driver that came on the setup
    CD!!!

    Which one should I use? And as for Firmware for the router, I have the
    latest one from the U.S website as the U.K site had no updates. Is this o.k?

    With regards to the router apparently not broadcasting an N signal, I went
    through all 13 channels and they all reported back as being 802.11g ,
    although I did find that on channel 1 i got the signal strength up to
    'Excellent' with all the little green bars filled up, though the speed won't
    go higher than 150 Mbps. Is this normal?

    Thanks again, Andy

    Andy, Feb 23, 2008
  7. Andy

    SinningTree Guest

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Check carefully the configuration of the Router and the cards, and make sure
    > it is set to N and to g.
    > In any case you should know that the "Speed" rating in the Networking world
    > is Not the Rating of the functional performance but the core performance of
    > the Network chipset. http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    > As for gaming. Wireless is Not the Best medium for efficient gaming. Due to
    > the additional overhead in the Wireless processing and signal environmental
    > noise, the pings of the Wireless connection are longer and much more
    > variable than wired connections.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    None of those can be the proble,....
    Why? I have the exact same router... and it seemed to work perfectly fine..
    But I just recently started haveing problems.. it seems that the Router is
    Sending a delay every 45sec...
    So if im on any online game were i have to stay connected for longer periods
    of time i will lag..
    Now this happens with the wireless, as well as with the computer connected
    by wire to it... It seems that its the router and not the wireless at fault.
    All i know is it used to work fine.. and now its retarded.
    SinningTree, May 2, 2008