Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL Card in Windows x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jim, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I want to install a Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL card in my Tyan
    K8WE (S2895) motherboard. From the looks of the card on the Belkin
    site, it is a 64-bit card, and it should work in a PCI-X slot.
    However, Belkin does *not* indicate support for Windows x64 on their
    website. Belkin *does* report that their card has a Texas Instruments
    1394B chip on it, however.

    Can I use the free Unibrain FireWire 800 driver

    http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp

    instead of the Belkin driver and get x64 support for the card?

    Obviously I want to get full FireWire 800 throughput if I possibly
    can. The new Maxtor One Touch III drives come with FireWire 800
    support and a 750 GB drive is currently on sale at J&R for only
    $230.00.

    Thank you!

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 24, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jim

    Theo Guest

    You will need to find out if it's for the same ship as
    Belkin uses. If not it probably will not work.


    Jim wrote:
    > I want to install a Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL card in my Tyan
    > K8WE (S2895) motherboard. From the looks of the card on the Belkin
    > site, it is a 64-bit card, and it should work in a PCI-X slot.
    > However, Belkin does *not* indicate support for Windows x64 on their
    > website. Belkin *does* report that their card has a Texas Instruments
    > 1394B chip on it, however.
    >
    > Can I use the free Unibrain FireWire 800 driver
    >
    > http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp
    >
    > instead of the Belkin driver and get x64 support for the card?
    >
    > Obviously I want to get full FireWire 800 throughput if I possibly
    > can. The new Maxtor One Touch III drives come with FireWire 800
    > support and a 750 GB drive is currently on sale at J&R for only
    > $230.00.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Jim
    >
    Theo, Jun 24, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 24, 7:32 am, Theo <> wrote:

    > You will need to find out if it's for the same ship as
    > Belkin uses. If not it probably will not work.


    It's the same Texas Instruments 1394B chip. That's why I was
    wondering whether the Unibrain drivers are "universal" 1394B drivers.
    I have no experience with Unibrain.

    Thanks!

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 24, 2007
    #3
  4. Jim

    Theo Guest

    If it the same chip, it won't hurt to try the driver.


    Jim wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 7:32 am, Theo <> wrote:
    >
    >> You will need to find out if it's for the same ship as
    >> Belkin uses. If not it probably will not work.

    >
    > It's the same Texas Instruments 1394B chip. That's why I was
    > wondering whether the Unibrain drivers are "universal" 1394B drivers.
    > I have no experience with Unibrain.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jim
    >
    Theo, Jun 24, 2007
    #4
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, Theo <> wrote:
    > If it the same chip, it won't hurt to try the driver.


    I installed the Belkin FireWire 800 card with the Unibrain driver, and
    it appears to be working.

    http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp

    Belkin was *completely wrong* about the card, and it *is* a PCI-X, 64-
    bit card. It also has a 12 volt power connector. I assume it has to
    be connected to the power supply for devices which draw power, but the
    manual says nothing about that.

    Device Manager looks fine, and I do have a 64-bit driver installed

    It never ceases to amaze me how little these complanies know about
    their own products! :)

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 28, 2007
    #5
  6. Jim

    Theo Guest

    Glad to hear the driver worked for you. That's how I
    usually find out whether one that might be compatible works
    or not. Occasionally a vendor will customize the
    installation program to prevent it from working with another
    brand, but even then you can sometimes extract the actual
    drivers and install them. I have even modified the .INF
    file to enable installation although this sometimes takes a
    bit of research to find the correct entries.


    Jim wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, Theo <> wrote:
    >> If it the same chip, it won't hurt to try the driver.

    >
    > I installed the Belkin FireWire 800 card with the Unibrain driver, and
    > it appears to be working.
    >
    > http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp
    >
    > Belkin was *completely wrong* about the card, and it *is* a PCI-X, 64-
    > bit card. It also has a 12 volt power connector. I assume it has to
    > be connected to the power supply for devices which draw power, but the
    > manual says nothing about that.
    >
    > Device Manager looks fine, and I do have a 64-bit driver installed
    >
    > It never ceases to amaze me how little these companies know about
    > their own products! :)
    >
    > Jim
    >
    Theo, Jun 28, 2007
    #6
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 28, 3:57 pm, Theo <> wrote:
    > Glad to hear the driver worked for you. That's how I
    > usually find out whether one that might be compatible works
    > or not. Occasionally a vendor will customize the
    > installation program to prevent it from working with another
    > brand, but even then you can sometimes extract the actual
    > drivers and install them. I have even modified the .INF
    > file to enable installation although this sometimes takes a
    > bit of research to find the correct entries.
    >

    I spoke too soon! I decided that once I had the Belkin FireWire 800
    card up and running with the Unibrain drivers, I needed to have a
    FireWire 800 device to test it out. I bought a Lexar Media FireWire
    800 CompactFlash reader. Windows x64 does not detect it. Of course,
    there are no drivers with the card reader. The Belkin FireWire 800
    card is fine in Device Manager, but Windows x64 is not detecting the
    Lexar Media drive.

    I'm sure that neither Belkin nor Unibrain will support this problem.
    Perhaps Lexar Media will care?

    Any ideas?

    Thank you!

    Jim
    Jim, Jul 6, 2007
    #7
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I solved the problem.

    The Lexar drive is *only* recognized when it has a CompactFlash card
    *in* the drive. The Unibrain drivers *do* work in x64, and they do
    support the Lexar Card Reader, but you *must* have a card in the
    drive.

    I received all sorts of mis-information from Lexar.

    I hope this helps someone else! :)

    Jim
    Jim, Jul 6, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    798
  2. Brian Wescombe

    Firewire 800/USB2 combo careds?

    Brian Wescombe, Jun 22, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    346
    Brian Wescombe
    Jun 22, 2005
  3. [BnH]
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    448
    Walter Hofmann
    Sep 24, 2005
  4. Flosshogg

    Firewire 800

    Flosshogg, Jun 8, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    761
    roman modic
    Jun 9, 2005
  5. GraB

    New Firewire 800

    GraB, Apr 3, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    622
    Matthew Poole
    Apr 4, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page