Belkin F5D7630 - ADSL router with Wifi

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dogg, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Dogg

    EMB Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thinking of buying one of these. Anyone got any experience good or
    > bad? I'm sick of waiting for the D-Link DSL-G604T.

    After the trouble I've had with other Belkin products (USB hubs and the
    like), I'll never buy another Belkin product.

    2c

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Dogg

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thinking of buying one of these. Anyone got any experience good or
    > bad? I'm sick of waiting for the D-Link DSL-G604T.

    I got sick of waiting, too - ended up buying a TRENDnet TEW-435BRM,
    which are available locally (Petone) off the shelf for about the same
    price as the D-Link. Seems OK, no problems so far, but I installed it
    only yesterday.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Dogg

    Nigel Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:41:05 +1300, Dogg wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thinking of buying one of these. Anyone got any experience good or bad?
    > I'm sick of waiting for the D-Link DSL-G604T.

    It's nice enough, I think linksys has more control & a nicer web
    gui for wifi & firewall setup, it's pretty basic functionality.

    The firewall is rock, performance good ( motorola wifi card, dell 8500 ).

    I haven't played with opening up ports for www or ftp, but I've setup 128
    WEP, it's got MAC address filtering.

    Only real gripe is only one browser ( system control ) connected @ a time,
    which can be annoying if you have multiple computers & nothing if you
    wanted to track where the kids are surfing like the linksys has.

    Nigel
    Nigel, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Dogg

    Nigel Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:31:14 +1300, Nigel wrote:

    Oh you have to know the VPI/VCI pairing, it's wrong by default & not real
    easy to swap over to jetstreamgamesrealm.

    Nigel
    Nigel, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:34:03 +1300, Nigel <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:31:14 +1300, Nigel wrote:
    >

    >Oh you have to know the VPI/VCI pairing, it's wrong by default & not real
    >easy to swap over to jetstreamgamesrealm.
    >
    >Nigel

    They're doing away with that soon BTW...stupid Telecom.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:31:14 +1300, Nigel <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:41:05 +1300, Dogg wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Thinking of buying one of these. Anyone got any experience good or bad?
    >> I'm sick of waiting for the D-Link DSL-G604T.

    >It's nice enough, I think linksys has more control & a nicer web
    >gui for wifi & firewall setup, it's pretty basic functionality.
    >
    >The firewall is rock, performance good ( motorola wifi card, dell 8500 ).
    >
    >I haven't played with opening up ports for www or ftp, but I've setup 128
    >WEP, it's got MAC address filtering.
    >
    >Only real gripe is only one browser ( system control ) connected @ a time,
    >which can be annoying if you have multiple computers & nothing if you
    >wanted to track where the kids are surfing like the linksys has.
    >
    >Nigel

    I bought a Linksys WAG54G for a customer about 4 months ago and yes,
    it does indeed have a nice easy interface. I had problems with port
    forwarding in that model and despite many firmware revsions later, it
    still persists. I still think D-Link is the best for what I
    want...they just work. My trusty DSL-504 has been ticking along since
    I bought it.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Dogg wrote:
    >>& not real
    >>easy to swap over to jetstreamgamesrealm.

    > They're doing away with that soon BTW...stupid Telecom.

    stupid telecom?
    they're only doing away with it because it will no longer be technically
    possible to do it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:09:01 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Dogg wrote:
    >>>& not real
    >>>easy to swap over to jetstreamgamesrealm.

    >> They're doing away with that soon BTW...stupid Telecom.

    >stupid telecom?
    >they're only doing away with it because it will no longer be technically
    >possible to do it.

    Yeah well...they're still stupid.... ;)

    --
    BOINC SETI
    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004
  10. Dogg

    Nigel Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:09:01 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Dogg wrote:
    >>>& not real
    >>>easy to swap over to jetstreamgamesrealm.

    >> They're doing away with that soon BTW...stupid Telecom.

    > stupid telecom?
    > they're only doing away with it because it will no longer be technically
    > possible to do it.

    Yeah, they are limiting the connection speed rather than downstream which
    technically seems alot more elegant & scalable.

    I'm not sure it'll make alot of difference for gaming ( though I'm not
    into that alot ), but for downloading large files eg. linux :), the
    jetstreamrealm was incredibly helpful, are they still keeping the game
    servers though ?.

    Though once 2mb is a reasonable price it all becomes a bit of a mute
    point, which I imagine is how telecom saw it going.

    Nigel
    Nigel, Oct 6, 2004
  11. Nigel wrote:
    > I'm not sure it'll make alot of difference for gaming ( though I'm not
    > into that alot ), but for downloading large files eg. linux :), the
    > jetstreamrealm was incredibly helpful, are they still keeping the game
    > servers though ?.

    dont know, but in theory, each ISP could offer their own "free traffic
    no speed cap" realm once they have the wholesale access.

    > Though once 2mb is a reasonable price it all becomes a bit of a mute
    > point, which I imagine is how telecom saw it going.

    it depends on how the retail package works... and whether it is allowed
    I guess.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  12. Dogg

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Dogg <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:31:14 +1300, Nigel <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:41:05 +1300, Dogg wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> Thinking of buying one of these. Anyone got any experience good or bad?
    > >> I'm sick of waiting for the D-Link DSL-G604T.

    > >It's nice enough, I think linksys has more control & a nicer web
    > >gui for wifi & firewall setup, it's pretty basic functionality.
    > >
    > >The firewall is rock, performance good ( motorola wifi card, dell 8500 ).
    > >
    > >I haven't played with opening up ports for www or ftp, but I've setup 128
    > >WEP, it's got MAC address filtering.
    > >
    > >Only real gripe is only one browser ( system control ) connected @ a time,
    > >which can be annoying if you have multiple computers & nothing if you
    > >wanted to track where the kids are surfing like the linksys has.
    > >
    > >Nigel

    > I bought a Linksys WAG54G for a customer about 4 months ago and yes,
    > it does indeed have a nice easy interface. I had problems with port
    > forwarding in that model and despite many firmware revsions later, it
    > still persists. I still think D-Link is the best for what I
    > want...they just work. My trusty DSL-504 has been ticking along since
    > I bought it.
    >
    > --
    > BOINC SETI
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    The WAG54G I have crashes regularly when you use the 802.11G, if you
    lock it into B then its fine.
    whoisthis, Oct 6, 2004
  13. Dogg

    Dogg Guest