Belkin Dockstation Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by slick, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. slick

    slick Guest

    I have a Belkin "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Dockstation". It has two USB 2.0 ports, a
    Ethernet port, a VGA port, a parallel port, and a serial port and all of
    this connects through the USB port of my Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook. Here
    is my question: My business ships with a lot of shipping companies. Two of
    which are UPS and FedEx. I bought a thermal printer for printing all of the
    shipping labels (an Eltron 2543). I connect to it with serial port on the
    dockstation. It works fine with UPS but FedEx requires it to be on COM1, 2,
    or 3. The dockstation's serial port is COM 4 so FedEx's site won't see it.
    I tried to fix it by going into the device manager, finding COM 4 and
    changing it in the properties to COM 2. So now it knows that the serial
    port is now COM 2 not 4. Now it won't print anything even though I changed
    the printer properties to print on COM 2. As soon as I change everything
    back to COM 4, it works.
    I know this is possible I have had this exact configuration of COM 2
    working. It doesn't now because the computer crashed and I have to set all
    of this back up. I remember I had to play with everything to get it to work
    the first time way back when but it just won't print on COM 2.

    Help me if possible.

    TIA
    slick, Jul 3, 2004

  2. slick wrote:

    > I have a Belkin "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Dockstation". It has two USB 2.0 ports, a
    > Ethernet port, a VGA port, a parallel port, and a serial port and all of
    > this connects through the USB port of my Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook. Here
    > is my question: My business ships with a lot of shipping companies. Two of
    > which are UPS and FedEx. I bought a thermal printer for printing all of the
    > shipping labels (an Eltron 2543). I connect to it with serial port on the
    > dockstation. It works fine with UPS but FedEx requires it to be on COM1, 2,
    > or 3. The dockstation's serial port is COM 4 so FedEx's site won't see it.
    > I tried to fix it by going into the device manager, finding COM 4 and
    > changing it in the properties to COM 2. So now it knows that the serial
    > port is now COM 2 not 4. Now it won't print anything even though I changed
    > the printer properties to print on COM 2. As soon as I change everything
    > back to COM 4, it works.
    > I know this is possible I have had this exact configuration of COM 2
    > working. It doesn't now because the computer crashed and I have to set all
    > of this back up. I remember I had to play with everything to get it to work
    > the first time way back when but it just won't print on COM 2.
    >
    > Help me if possible.
    >
    > TIA

    I have a similar Dockstation & had a similar problem with the parallel
    port. IIRC it turned out to be a question fo which port was selected in
    the printer driver vs. the port defined in device manager.

    In the printer driver, for some reason, I had all the 'local' ports
    defined even though they didn't exist. Adding the Dockstation added a
    USB (LPT1) port. Selecting the 'normal' LPT1 port sent the print job to
    the bit bucket. Selecting the USB (LPT1) port sent it to the printer.

    I don't know that this will help-I think it explains the problem but
    probably doesn't tell you how to fix it. GL
    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 12, 2004