    plugged into it?

    I have had the UPS since 2001.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Duane Arnold

    Thor Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns955C58285532Dnotmenotmecom@63.240.76.16...

    > The battery is good according to the monitoring screen and peak load level
    > is between 47 and 48%.
    >
    > Now, the UPS AVR system doesn't allow for the shutting down of power
    > gracefully like it did before on the equipment. If it takes a power
    > decrease hit, the unit just turns itself off.
    >
    > I have a lot of computer equipment plugged into the UPS more than when I
    > first got the UPS. Even when I did a test on the UPS, it dropped power,

    and
    > doing a deep battery test, the device dropped power.
    >
    > Is this a sign that the unit is going defective or that there is too much
    > plugged into it?
    >
    > I have had the UPS since 2001.

    probably time to replace the battery.

    Thor, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The battery is good according to the monitoring screen and peak load
    >> level is between 47 and 48%.
    >>
    >> Now, the UPS AVR system doesn't allow for the shutting down of power
    >> gracefully like it did before on the equipment. If it takes a power
    >> decrease hit, the unit just turns itself off.
    >>
    >> I have a lot of computer equipment plugged into the UPS more than
    >> when I first got the UPS. Even when I did a test on the UPS, it
    >> dropped power,

    > and
    >> doing a deep battery test, the device dropped power.
    >>
    >> Is this a sign that the unit is going defective or that there is too
    >> much plugged into it?
    >>
    >> I have had the UPS since 2001.

    > probably time to replace the battery.

    Thanks I'll check into that.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Duane Arnold

    derek / nul Guest

    I have just had to replace the battery in my UPS, I think your's could be on the
    way out too. (even though the unit indicates the battery is good)

    derek / nul, Sep 6, 2004
  5. Duane Arnold

    Jerry G. Guest

    The batteries in a UPS can only last about 2 to 4 years on the average. The
    battery must be load tested if to be tested properly. This sounds like the
    battery has to be changed. I found the internal monitoring in these UPS's to
    not be accurate.

    These UPS's use gel type batteries. When these batteries go weak, a simple
    voltage test will show as if the battery is good. The battery must be
    properly load tested to know if it is good or not.

    We have a maintenance plan where after 2 years 6 months, we change the UPS
    batteries in all our systems. This assures us that will not have any
    failures. We found that after 3 years, they are not dependable.

    If you let the batteries in a UPS go down too far, and the battery becomes
    shorted, it is possible for there to be damage done to the UPS circuitry. In
    this case the unit will have to be sent out for service, or replaced. It is
    much cheaper to replace the batteries, if a good quality UPS is being used.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Sep 7, 2004
  6. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    To all who replied thanks, I know what to do now.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 7, 2004