    Does anyone know how to close this port?

    Also, did u know this thing sync's with a timeserver somewhere in the world?

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Paul

    Hmmm Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a Belkin ADSL Modem. I did a test on GRC.com and my telnet port
    > is wide open for external admin purposes, of course.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to close this port?
    >
    > Also, did u know this thing sync's with a timeserver somewhere in the
    > world?
    >
    > Paul

    The belkin firmware is horrible, its out of date conexant firmware, you
    should find the thread on here on upgrading firmware to billion's which
    is far more up to date and far more secure with a stateful packet
    firewall etc.

    As for closing that port, there should be an option "restricted to lan"

    Hmmm, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hmmm wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've got a Belkin ADSL Modem. I did a test on GRC.com and my telnet
    >> port is wide open for external admin purposes, of course.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to close this port?
    >>
    >> Also, did u know this thing sync's with a timeserver somewhere in the
    >> world?
    >>
    >> Paul

    > The belkin firmware is horrible, its out of date conexant firmware, you
    > should find the thread on here on upgrading firmware to billion's which
    > is far more up to date and far more secure with a stateful packet
    > firewall etc.
    >
    > As for closing that port, there should be an option "restricted to lan"

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Not having much luck with finding an firmware update. Can u point me in
    the right direction?

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Paul

    Hmmm Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I've got a Belkin ADSL Modem. I did a test on GRC.com and my telnet
    >>> port is wide open for external admin purposes, of course.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to close this port?
    >>>
    >>> Also, did u know this thing sync's with a timeserver somewhere in the
    >>> world?
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> The belkin firmware is horrible, its out of date conexant firmware,
    >> you should find the thread on here on upgrading firmware to billion's
    >> which is far more up to date and far more secure with a stateful
    >> packet firewall etc.
    >>
    >> As for closing that port, there should be an option "restricted to lan"

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> >100,000 Newsgroups

    >> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    > Not having much luck with finding an firmware update. Can u point me in
    > the right direction?
    >
    > Paul

    here is what X posted

    This page has the firmware
    http://www.users.on.net/~shonky/

    The particular one you want to download is this one
    Make sure you get the firmware for 711CE
    (http://www.users.on.net/~shonky/711CE_B213_ISO.zip)

    billions site is
    www.billion.com.au

    adsltechs pages on upgrading
    http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1014&KW=shonky

    1) Burn the ISO

    2. Turn router off open it up and Place jumper (shunt) on the jumper
    pins* (Located in centre/right of PC Board)
    3. Connect USB cable.
    4. Connect AC Adaptor. Switch on the router.
    5. Type "flash /e" to erase old firmware.<- very important
    6. Type "upgrade" to flash the firmware. When Flash program asks for
    "starting MAC address" and "ending MAC address",
    just press "ENTER" for each.<- do NOT use your router's MAC address,
    just press ENTER
    7. Switch off the router. Remove AC adaptor.
    8. Remove USB Cable.
    9. Remove jumper from the jumper pins*
    10. Close casing and refit screws.
    11. Reconnect cables (USB/Ethernet, ADSL, AC Adaptor)
    12. Reboot PC and switch on router
    PLEASE NOTE - IT MAY TAKE UP TO 3 MINUTES FOR THE ROUTER TO FULLY BOOT
    AFTER THE FLASH
    THat upgrades it to version 213 of billions firmware, from there you can
    go to version 300 by using the update firmware option in the routers
    firmware page

    Version 300 can be found .....here.
    http://adsltech.com/download/FirmwareList/2MB_B300.zip

    The ip of this router by default is 192.168.1.254 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

    And you will need to change the encapsulation to pppoA-MUX and vip to 0
    vci to 100 (i think thats what theya re in nz? :))

    If you want to keep a backup of DSE's firmware you can get it from here.
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.st...emplate/1/download/XH1169_Rel9v5_Firmware.zip

    yell out if you have any questions :)
    Hmmm, Oct 28, 2004