    Trying to get the same device to work in 64-bit Vista Ultimate RC1. So far,
    no go.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    DP, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Ultimately, you're going to need to wait for Ralink and/or Belkin to release
    drivers for it. If they're not there now, that doesn't mean they won't be
    there at the release. Or that they won't be downloadable by then. But until
    _signed_ versions of the drivers are available, you'll need to do without.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 28, 2006

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks, Charlie. Which means that my Vista machine will not connect to the
    internet until then (phone jacks are way too far away).

    I thought I recalled someone on this forum saying the ralink/belkin hardware
    recognition was pretty much automatic (anybody remember that?), but I might
    be misremembering. I'll go searching the forum later.

    DP, Oct 28, 2006
  4. DP

    Dennis Pack Guest

    DP:
    I'm using a RT2500 wireless chipset on a PCI card not a USB. With B2
    and RC2 the drivers installed during installation. With RC1 the drivers
    didn't install, I had to install the drivers manually, with my card the
    diver is 3.2.0.0. For the USB chipset there are 2 different drivers listed
    for USB at http://www.ralink.com.tw/supp-1.htm, driver 2.1.0.0 should work
    but you may have to try driver 3.0.1.0. Download the driver, right click the
    driver file to run as administrator, you will get a Ralink icon in the tray
    with a red X. After a reboot the wireless should be recognized. Now I'm
    going on memory because I'm running RC2 now. When you installed the Ralink
    drivers a Ralink file was added to program files (x86), go to device
    manager, network adaptors, uninstall the Ralink adapter, reboot. After
    rebooting Vista should install the drivers or you may have to point to the
    Ralink file. The x64 drivers are signed and function normally with Vista
    x64.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 28, 2006
  5. DP

    DP Guest

    Turns out I was wrong. the chipset is actually rt73. I must have downloaded
    rt2500 drivers by mistake when trying to get it to work on x64 some time
    back and probably just left them on my machine even though they are useless.
    After deeper searching, I found the rt73 drivers on my machine as well.
    So, all I did was point Vista to the drive with the rt73 drivers and it
    loaded them and everything works great after that. One more step toward a
    fulltime switchover to Vista for me. I've got my Canon MP780 printer
    working, now my wireless adapter working.
    If I can make sure Quicken works in Vista. It should; I just need to find
    the install CD. And I'll either go with MS Office or Open Office. Once all
    those work, I won't have much need to stay in x64 (Not that there's anything
    wrong with x64). I'm dual-booting now, and the RC version of Vista I'm using
    is good until June, so I still have a lot of time to make a full transition
    before I shell out the bucks for the RTM version.
    I realize a lot of Vista is just eye-candy. But I find it to be useful
    eye-candy in some cases.

    DP, Oct 29, 2006
  6. DP

    Dennis Pack Guest

    DP:
    Glad to see that you're wireless is now working. Quicken 2006
    installs and updates properly. After installation I got errors when trying
    to find my data file on the data partition. Instead of trying to have
    Quicken find the file, close Quicken, double click the wanted file on the
    data drive and Quicken will open and function normally. I haven't tried any
    other versions of Quicken.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 29, 2006
  7. DP

    DP Guest

    Well, Q 06 is my version, too. As soon as I can find that CD, that baby's
    loaded!

    So far not even a hiccup with Vista. Quite stable on my machine (64-bit x2
    Athlon 3800, two gigs of ram, two HDs partitioned into 4, NVIDIA GeForce
    6600 LE).
    Since my last email, I checked to make sure my Seagate USB external hard
    dive (not included with the 2 counted above) works in Vista. No problems
    there either. Looks like a pretty good OS. Feels a little snappier than x64.

    DP, Oct 29, 2006
  8. DP - just to be clear - your version of Vista won't "die" until June. But
    your license to use it ends with the general availability of the release
    version, as with all betas. So the real time frame is more like the end of
    January, begining of February.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2006
  9. DP

    DP Guest

    > DP - just to be clear - your version of Vista won't "die" until June. But
    > your license to use it ends with the general availability of the release
    > version, as with all betas. So the real time frame is more like the end of
    > January, begining of February.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    Yikes! Thanks for explaining that to me.

    Anybody have any idea what "upgrade" pricing will be for x64 users? will it
    be a set percentage of the price of whichever version we want to get?

    DP, Oct 30, 2006
  10. DP

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Pricing info is available for the upgrade versions.

    XP Professional x64 can upgrade to either Business or Ultimate, I believe.
    Business upgrade is $199, Ultimate is $259. (Note that you can't actually
    *upgrade* x64 -> Vista, you'll have to do a clean install, but you can still
    use the upgrade license.)

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 30, 2006
  11. DP

    DP Guest

    > (Note that you can't actually *upgrade* x64 -> Vista, you'll have to do a
    > clean install, but you can still use the upgrade license.)

    Right. I realize that.
    Thanks for the dinero info.

    DP, Oct 30, 2006