belkin 54g always works on 11 Mbps

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by hans, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. hans

    hans Guest

    I have an 54g AP (the SMC 7804 WBRB). Works great.
    I have an ALDI pc with wireless, it shows a connection at
    54 Mbps. Works great.

    I have a laptop with Belkin adapter plugged in
    sold to me as a 54g, but i have never seen it working on
    that speed. It is always at 11 Mbps.

    How do I change that?

    Anyone having the same experience ???
    ----------------
    Also, under XP, SP2 Microsoft now says:
    "Limited connection or no connection" for the wireless,
    while there is a strong (green) signal!

    "Repair" takes a long time and never does anything usefull.
    Restart helps and solves this. Is there a quicker way?

    thanks for tips
    hans

    hans, Nov 3, 2004

  2. hans

    Eric P. Guest

    I have a PC a floor below with a 802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card
    F5D7000df which I'm using for Internet and in a local network together
    with 11b equipment.
    I know you can choose between several speed options in the Windows
    network configuration of the device.
    Maybe "802.11b mode" or similar has been selected.

    Eric P., Nov 3, 2004

  3. hans

    hans Guest

    Eric P. wrote:

    > I have a PC a floor below with a 802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card
    > F5D7000df which I'm using for Internet and in a local network together
    > with 11b equipment.
    > I know you can choose between several speed options in the Windows
    > network configuration of the device.
    > Maybe "802.11b mode" or similar has been selected.
    >
    > hans wrote:
    >
    >> I have a laptop with Belkin adapter plugged in sold to me as a 54g,
    >> but i have never seen it working on that speed. It is always at 11
    >> Mbps. How do I change that?

    I know what you mean. I have checked that, it's on 54g mode.
    Thanks

    I forgot to mention that distance is not an issue.
    When the laptop is next to the AP I still have the same problem.

    hans

    hans, Nov 3, 2004