    through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no idea
    what the damn things are.

    Ta muchly!
    Trent SC, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my motherboard
    or
    | what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?
    |
    | I have a problem in that the motherboard on an old PC I'm repairing has a
    | number of different possible configurations and there's no way of telling
    | what is actually there on the blasted machine. The Win98se set-up goes
    | through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no idea
    | what the damn things are.

    It will actually check each part in your computer and tell you what it is.
    I've used it to identify rogue parts - things that were *NOT* installed
    properly - driver-wise that is - and its told me what the hardware was. Then
    I could go get drivers.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    > | Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my
    > motherboard
    > or
    > | what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?
    > |
    > | I have a problem in that the motherboard on an old PC I'm repairing has
    > | number of different possible configurations and there's no way of
    > telling
    > | what is actually there on the blasted machine. The Win98se set-up goes
    > | through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no
    > idea
    > | what the damn things are.
    > |
    > It will actually check each part in your computer and tell you what it is.
    > I've used it to identify rogue parts - things that were *NOT* installed
    > properly - driver-wise that is - and its told me what the hardware was.
    > Then
    > I could go get drivers.

    Thanks very much - sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!
    Trent SC, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    |> | Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my
    | > motherboard
    | > or
    | > | what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?
    | > |
    | > | I have a problem in that the motherboard on an old PC I'm repairing
    has
    | > | number of different possible configurations and there's no way of
    | > telling
    | > | what is actually there on the blasted machine. The Win98se set-up
    goes
    | > | through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no
    | > idea
    | > | what the damn things are.
    | > |
    | > It will actually check each part in your computer and tell you what it
    is.
    | > I've used it to identify rogue parts - things that were *NOT* installed
    | > properly - driver-wise that is - and its told me what the hardware was.
    | > Then
    | > I could go get drivers.
    |
    | Thanks very much - sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

    You're welcome - good luck!
    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Sunny Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > | Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my
    > motherboard
    > or
    > | what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?
    > |
    > | I have a problem in that the motherboard on an old PC I'm repairing has
    > | number of different possible configurations and there's no way of
    > telling
    > | what is actually there on the blasted machine. The Win98se set-up goes
    > | through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no
    > idea
    > | what the damn things are.
    > |
    > It will actually check each part in your computer and tell you what it is.
    > I've used it to identify rogue parts - things that were *NOT* installed
    > properly - driver-wise that is - and its told me what the hardware was.
    > Then
    > I could go get drivers.

    One thing that Everest won't read is RD RAMBUS Memory (Motherboard/SPD)
    Right window is greyed out. ?
    Reads DR Ram OK on another PC .
    Sunny, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >> | Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my
    >> motherboard
    >> or
    >> | what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?
    >> |
    >> | I have a problem in that the motherboard on an old PC I'm repairing has
    >> | number of different possible configurations and there's no way of
    >> telling
    >> | what is actually there on the blasted machine. The Win98se set-up goes
    >> | through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no
    >> idea
    >> | what the damn things are.
    >> |
    >> It will actually check each part in your computer and tell you what it
    >> is.
    >> I've used it to identify rogue parts - things that were *NOT* installed
    >> properly - driver-wise that is - and its told me what the hardware was.
    >> Then
    >> I could go get drivers.

    > One thing that Everest won't read is RD RAMBUS Memory (Motherboard/SPD)
    > Right window is greyed out. ?
    > Reads DR Ram OK on another PC .

    That I can live with!
    Trent SC, Jan 31, 2005
  7. Trent SC

    Plato Guest

    Trent SC wrote:

    > Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my motherboard or
    > what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?

    They mostly work both ways these days. ie the better diags do.
    Plato, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:47:55 -0000, "Trent SC" <>
    wrote:

    >Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my motherboard or
    >what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?

    It can go both ways...it just depends.

    For instance...

    I'm running a K6-2 412! lol

    On some items, you'll need to simply open the box and look.

    Or take yer chances.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 31, 2005
  9. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:11:28 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    >| Do these applications tell me what hardware is attached to my motherboard
    >or
    >| what hardware I've told Windows 98se is attached?
    >|
    >| I have a problem in that the motherboard on an old PC I'm repairing has a
    >| number of different possible configurations and there's no way of telling
    >| what is actually there on the blasted machine. The Win98se set-up goes
    >| through any number of 'unknown device found' routines, and I have no idea
    >| what the damn things are.
    >|
    >It will actually check each part in your computer and tell you what it is.

    Usually...but not always.

    See my other post.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©