    Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB

    My question is,if each slot has 1024MB,why does it say installed memory is
    3328MB ?

    Motorman, Apr 13, 2009

  2. Motorman wrote:

    > tells me this about my memory ....
    >
    > 3328 Megabytes Installed Memory
    > Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
    > Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    > Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
    > Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB
    >
    > My question is,if each slot has 1024MB,why does it say installed
    > memory is 3328MB ?

    Because that is the maximum your 32-bit operating system will recognize.
    To use it all, or to use more than 4GB, you would have to upgrade to a
    64-bit operating system. Probably not necessary, though.

    Subject line should have been "Missing/unused ram"

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 13, 2009

  3. On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 06:41:24 -0400, above the shrieking & whining of the
    trolls, Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    > Motorman wrote:
    >
    >> tells me this about my memory ....
    >>
    >> 3328 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >> Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
    >> Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    >> Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
    >> Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB
    >>
    >> My question is,if each slot has 1024MB,why does it say installed
    >> memory is 3328MB ?

    > Because that is the maximum your 32-bit operating system will recognize.
    > To use it all, or to use more than 4GB, you would have to upgrade to a
    > 64-bit operating system. Probably not necessary, though.
    >
    > Subject line should have been "Missing/unused ram"

    Depends on the mainboard too. I've seen some which only support 2GB, yet
    4GB has been installed, but POST shows that only 3328MB is recognized.

    I believe the max for a 32-bit Linux distro is 4GB by default, whereas
    (AFAIK) the max for a 64-bit Linux system is almost limitless.

    --
    Conficker, coming to a M$ windows
    machine near you!

    William Poaster, Apr 13, 2009
  4. Motorman

    Motorman Guest

    "wetpixel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <00271863$0$14557$>, Motorman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> tells me this about my memory ....
    >>
    >> 3328 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >> Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
    >> Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    >> Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
    >> Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB
    >>

    >> My question is,if each slot has 1024MB,why does it say installed memory
    >> is
    >> 3328MB ?
    >>

    > Do you know what your motherboard is capable of using?
    >
    > They don't all just take anything you can fit.

    Yeah its capable of 16 gig. The board is a Biostar TA790GX3 A2+

    Motorman, Apr 13, 2009
  5. Motorman

    PeeCee Guest

    "Motorman" <> wrote in message

    > "wetpixel" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <00271863$0$14557$>, Motorman
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> tells me this about my memory ....
    >>>
    >>> 3328 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >>> Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
    >>> Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    >>> Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
    >>> Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB
    >>>

    >>> My question is,if each slot has 1024MB,why does it say installed memory
    >>> is
    >>> 3328MB ?
    >>>

    >> Do you know what your motherboard is capable of using?
    >>
    >> They don't all just take anything you can fit.

    > Yeah its capable of 16 gig. The board is a Biostar TA790GX3 A2+

    Mororman

    What you are seeing is the effects of compromises and design decisions made
    by IBM as far back as the original 'PC'

    The short reason you can't see the top 768MB of RAM is because those
    address are being used for operating system purposes.
    If you like it's like a wall full of post boxes with a certain number not
    accessable from the foyer because the posties are using them from the inside
    for their purposes.

    This page has a fuller explanation of it all:
    http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 14, 2009
  6. Motorman

    Motorman Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "Motorman" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "wetpixel" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you know what your motherboard is capable of using?
    >>>
    >>> They don't all just take anything you can fit.

    >> Yeah its capable of 16 gig. The board is a Biostar TA790GX3 A2+
    >>

    > Mororman
    >
    > What you are seeing is the effects of compromises and design decisions
    > made by IBM as far back as the original 'PC'
    >
    > The short reason you can't see the top 768MB of RAM is because those
    > address are being used for operating system purposes.
    > If you like it's like a wall full of post boxes with a certain number not
    > accessable from the foyer because the posties are using them from the
    > inside for their purposes.
    >
    > This page has a fuller explanation of it all:
    > http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Interesting article.