Bela Lugosi Jr. Sues To Stop Ed Wood DVD Release!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Murder, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Murder

    Murder Guest

    Murder, Feb 2, 2004

  2. On 2 Feb 2004 08:59:56 GMT, Murder <> wrote:

    >Apparently he considers Tim Burton's portrayal of his father to be
    >slanderous.

    Wow, wouldn't it be cool if he went back in time and stopped the movie
    from being released in theaters, and on vhs.

    What an arse!

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Murder <> wrote:

    | Apparently he considers Tim Burton's portrayal of his
    | father to be slanderous.

    What's the source of this rumour? According to the Burton book by
    Jim Smith and J. Clive Matthews, Bela Lugosi Jr. was opposed to
    the film without having seen it. Martin Landau later met him and
    showed him the film, and Lugosi Jr. completely changed his mind,
    approving of the film. This was several years ago. Has Lugosi Jr.
    changed his mind *again*, or is this just a fabricated rumour?

    --
    Geir Friestad || || www.portman.org
    "My readers are intelligent: I don't write for stupid people."

    Geir Friestad, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Murder

    Tim Pace Guest

    He is also on the original DVD release of ED Wood giving an interview as
    part of the special features ?

    --
    Tim Pace
    "Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to

    Tim Pace, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Murder

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Murder" <> wrote in message
    > Apparently he considers Tim Burton's portrayal of his father
    > to be slanderous.

    > *Ahem*
    >
    > Hey, it's as good a theory as any I've seen so far.

    Actually, slander is an oral communication of false statements injurious
    to a person's reputation.

    Libel is the false publication in writing, printing, or typewriting or
    in signs or pictures (including motion pictures) that maliciously
    damages a person's reputation.

    The fact of the matter is that Disney accidentally released the Region 1
    _Ed Wood_ on an experimental, 2-week version of the self-destructing
    EZ-D format. On this new EZ-D prototype, the destructive chemical
    decomposition begins when a DVD player's laser first makes contact with
    the disk.

    This new EZ-D system causes the player to destroy only the DVD tracks
    used for player initialization. As a result, the entire disk becomes
    unplayable.

    Hey, it's as good a theory as any I've seen so far.

    Scot Gardner, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Murder

    Murder Guest

    Geir Friestad <> wrote in

    > Murder <> wrote:
    >|
    >| Apparently he considers Tim Burton's portrayal of his
    >| father to be slanderous.
    >
    > What's the source of this rumour? According to the Burton book by
    > Jim Smith and J. Clive Matthews, Bela Lugosi Jr. was opposed to
    > the film without having seen it. Martin Landau later met him and
    > showed him the film, and Lugosi Jr. completely changed his mind,
    > approving of the film. This was several years ago. Has Lugosi Jr.
    > changed his mind *again*, or is this just a fabricated rumour?

    Well, the source is my own warped imagination. The man has made a living
    suing people for misusing his father's image, though, and I recall him
    protesting that his father never used profanity. So I just threw that
    one out to see what would result. You know, Disney could just come out
    and explain the delay. As long as they don't, I'm going to let my
    imagination run wild. With any luck, thousands of bootlegs will be
    burned and distributed, and Disney will lose a mint when the DVD is
    eventually released. Particularly if they pulled it for no good reason,
    which I'm inclined to believe.

    Murder, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Murder

    Murder Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in news:20040202093656.490
    $:

    > "Murder" <> wrote in message
    >> Apparently he considers Tim Burton's portrayal of his father
    >> to be slanderous.

    >> *Ahem*
    >>
    >> Hey, it's as good a theory as any I've seen so far.

    > Actually, slander is an oral communication of false statements

    injurious
    > to a person's reputation.
    >
    > Libel is the false publication in writing, printing, or typewriting or
    > in signs or pictures (including motion pictures) that maliciously
    > damages a person's reputation.

    Hmmm. I been skooled...

    > The fact of the matter is that Disney accidentally released the Region

    1
    > _Ed Wood_ on an experimental, 2-week version of the self-destructing
    > EZ-D format. On this new EZ-D prototype, the destructive chemical
    > decomposition begins when a DVD player's laser first makes contact with
    > the disk.
    >
    > This new EZ-D system causes the player to destroy only the DVD tracks
    > used for player initialization. As a result, the entire disk becomes
    > unplayable.
    >
    > Hey, it's as good a theory as any I've seen so far.

    Well, I'd like to thing there was a good reason for pulling it, so at
    least it qualifies in that regard.

    Murder, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Murder wrote:

    >>| Apparently he considers Tim Burton's portrayal of his
    >>| father to be slanderous.
    >>
    >>What's the source of this rumour? According to the Burton book by
    >>Jim Smith and J. Clive Matthews, Bela Lugosi Jr. was opposed to
    >>the film without having seen it. Martin Landau later met him and
    >>showed him the film, and Lugosi Jr. completely changed his mind,
    >>approving of the film. This was several years ago. Has Lugosi Jr.
    >>changed his mind *again*, or is this just a fabricated rumour?

    > Well, the source is my own warped imagination.

    <snip>

    So...basically made it up, then.

    Derek Janssen (just crystallizing the point, for more fluid discussion)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Murder

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >ith any luck, thousands of bootlegs will be
    >burned and distributed, and Disney will lose a mint when the DVD is
    >eventually released. Particularly if they pulled it for no good reason,
    >which I'm inclined to believe.

    Are you fucking serious? Do you think Disney wants this DVD to be recalled?
    They're losing money on this, too. You don't make a profit by pressing a bunch
    of DVD's only to have them recalled at the final hour. This has happened
    twice. There is obviously some clearance they need to resolve, it's not a case
    of them playing games with consumers.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Murder

    Murder Guest

    mbleek (CLOSEDOWN8) wrote in

    >>ith any luck, thousands of bootlegs will be
    >>burned and distributed, and Disney will lose a mint when the DVD is
    >>eventually released. Particularly if they pulled it for no good
    >>reason, which I'm inclined to believe.

    > Are you fucking serious? Do you think Disney wants this DVD to be
    > recalled? They're losing money on this, too. You don't make a profit
    > by pressing a bunch of DVD's only to have them recalled at the final
    > hour. This has happened twice. There is obviously some clearance
    > they need to resolve, it's not a case of them playing games with
    > consumers.

    Hey, no sweat. Just working off a little frustration. However, what you
    say would be more reassuring if this wasn't the second time it's been
    delayed without any reason put forward. What rights conflict could there
    possibly be after all this time? This isn't Image we're talking about,
    it's a corporation that could crush other companies under it's boot and
    scarcely notice. Who would be suing for copyright infringement that
    Disney couldn't just laugh at and ignore? Much less, who could make
    Disney pull a title *twice* just before release, at, we are lead to
    believe, incredible expense and inconvenience? The Pope? The UN?
    Vishnu? Who?

    Murder, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Murder

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Murder" <> wrote in message
    <<Well, I'd like to thing there was a good reason for pulling it, ...>>

    Another poster named CLOSEDOWN8 advanced the theory that there is
    something in the _Ed Wood_ release (I'm guessing a special feature) to
    which Disney does not have the rights.

    This happened before when _Little Shop of Horrors_ was recalled, but not
    before quite a few copies were sold.

    Scot Gardner, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Murder

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > What's the source of this rumour? According to the Burton book by
    > Jim Smith and J. Clive Matthews, Bela Lugosi Jr. was opposed to
    > the film without having seen it. Martin Landau later met him and
    > showed him the film, and Lugosi Jr. completely changed his mind,
    > approving of the film. This was several years ago. Has Lugosi Jr.
    > changed his mind *again*, or is this just a fabricated rumour?

    Hey, I'm listed in the acknowledgments and bibliography section of that
    book! I used to run timburtoncollective.com, but passed it along to other
    fans when I didn't have time to maintain it. Glad to see someone using it as
    a resource; it's far more thorough than Ken Hanke's book.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Feb 4, 2004