Beginning of the end for AOL?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gary G. Taylor, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Gary G. Taylor, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Gary G. Taylor

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹©, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    Boomer Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

    > Gary G. Taylor said:
    >
    >> http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5113197.html?tag=nefd_top

    > "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed
    > directly at consumers who have limited or no experience using the
    > Internet."
    >
    > Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Gary G. Taylor

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Boomer said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> Gary G. Taylor said:
    >>
    >>> http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5113197.html?tag=nefd_top

    >> "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed
    >> directly at consumers who have limited or no experience using the
    >> Internet."
    >>
    >> Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    > There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    <AOL>
    Me too (sigh, that is)
    </AOL>
    Brian H¹©, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Gary G. Taylor

    Greg M Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in

    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> Gary G. Taylor said:
    >>
    >>> http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5113197.html?tag=nefd_top

    >> "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed
    >> directly at consumers who have limited or no experience using the
    >> Internet."
    >>
    >> Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    > There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    Actually, Earthlink has a similar offer. Without the aohell of course.
    <BG>

    --
    "For me. color was
    daylong obsession, joy,
    Greg M, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Gary G. Taylor

    Liz Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote:

    > Boomer said:
    >
    > > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

    > >> "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed
    > >> directly at consumers who have limited or no experience using the
    > >> Internet."
    > >>
    > >> Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    > > There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    > <AOL>
    > Me too (sigh, that is)
    > </AOL>

    I just received another AOL CD, it came in the box
    of a 8Qt Casserole I ordered?!
    Liz, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Gary G. Taylor

    Boomer Guest

    Greg M <> wrote in

    > Boomer <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

    >>> "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed
    >>> directly at consumers who have limited or no experience using
    >>> the Internet."
    >>>
    >>> Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    >> There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    > Actually, Earthlink has a similar offer. Without the aohell of
    > course. <BG>

    At least EL is a real ISP. AOL and MSN suck!
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Gary G. Taylor

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    <SNIP>

    >> "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed
    > >> directly at consumers who have limited or no experience using the
    > >> Internet."
    > >>
    > >> Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    > > There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    > <AOL>
    > Me too (sigh, that is)
    > </AOL>

    So many people I know swear by AOL that I thought they (AOL) already had
    everybody of "limited or no experience" using their service. When I first
    got started I used Prodigy then Compuserve (I think) and then AOL it took me
    less than a week to drop each one of them ... personally I didn't like any
    of them ... there was too much hype & BS there ... I really wasn't
    interested in how they viewed the InterNet or the World ... Still, I have
    people (I actually help) who have both a regular provider AND AOL and where
    do they spend all their time? YUP! AOL! When I point out that they're paying
    twice and only using AOL as a placebo of sorts ... they give me "that" look
    .... "Lights on, Nobody home"

    Go figure

    - Bay0Wulf
    Bay0Wulf, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Gary G. Taylor

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Liz said:

    > "Brian H¹©" wrote:
    >
    >> Boomer said:
    >>
    >>> "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

    >>> There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    >> <AOL>
    >> Me too (sigh, that is)
    >> </AOL>

    > I just received another AOL CD, it came in the box
    > of a 8Qt Casserole I ordered?!

    They are attempting to get into household products, they will be marketing A-OL
    wipes soon ;-)
    Brian H¹©, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Gary G. Taylor

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Boomer said:

    > Greg M <> wrote in
    >
    >> Boomer <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

    >>> There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    >> Actually, Earthlink has a similar offer. Without the aohell of
    >> course. <BG>

    > At least EL is a real ISP. AOL and MSN suck!

    A computer for that price without AOL installed, I'll have 10.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Gary G. Taylor

    Boomer Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in

    > "Brian H¹©" wrote:
    >
    >> Boomer said:
    >>
    >> > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in

    >> > There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    >> <AOL>
    >> Me too (sigh, that is)
    >> </AOL>

    > I just received another AOL CD, it came in the box
    > of a 8Qt Casserole I ordered?!

    Serious?!

    I'm going to be afraid to unroll my toilet paper now!

    <Sorry if this is a double post>
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Gary G. Taylor

    Liz Guest

    "Boomer" wrote:

    > "Liz" <> wrote in

    > >> <AOL>
    > >> Me too (sigh, that is)
    > >> </AOL>

    > > I just received another AOL CD, it came in the box
    > > of a 8Qt Casserole I ordered?!

    > Serious?!

    Yup, AOL 9.0 Optimized. Kinda cheerful-looking though.
    I might hang on my tree, perhaps they should send me more,
    I need 12 for the Twelve Days of Christmas! :)
    Liz, Dec 6, 2003
  13. Gary G. Taylor

    > Boomer said:
    >
    >> Greg M <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Boomer <> wrote in

    >>> Actually, Earthlink has a similar offer. Without the aohell of
    >>> course. <BG>

    >> At least EL is a real ISP. AOL and MSN suck!

    > A computer for that price without AOL installed, I'll have 10.

    <AOL> Me too! </AOL> ;)
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  14. Gary G. Taylor

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 01:22:12 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    <-vine.co.uk.invalid> scribbled:

    >Gary G. Taylor said:
    >
    >> http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5113197.html?tag=nefd_top

    >"An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed directly at
    >consumers who have limited or no experience using the Internet."
    >
    >Speaks volumes doesn't it ;-)

    So more or less it's business as usual?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Dec 6, 2003
  15. Gary G. Taylor

    Boomer Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in

    > "Boomer" wrote:
    >
    >> "Liz" <> wrote in

    [snip]
    >> > I just received another AOL CD, it came in the box
    >> > of a 8Qt Casserole I ordered?!

    >> Serious?!

    > Yup, AOL 9.0 Optimized. Kinda cheerful-looking though.
    > I might hang on my tree, perhaps they should send me more,
    > I need 12 for the Twelve Days of Christmas! :)

    I'd use 'um for 12 kitty litter scoopers. ;)
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  16. Gary G. Taylor

    TJ Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > "Liz" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Boomer" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Liz" <> wrote in

    > [snip]
    > >>
    > >> Serious?!

    > > Yup, AOL 9.0 Optimized. Kinda cheerful-looking though.
    > > I might hang on my tree, perhaps they should send me more,
    > > I need 12 for the Twelve Days of Christmas! :)

    > I'd use 'um for 12 kitty litter scoopers. ;)

    No good. The smaller clumps fall through the hole.

    Prob'ly too much information, huh?
    TJ, Dec 6, 2003
  17. Gary G. Taylor

    Boomer Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in news::

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> "Liz" <> wrote in

    >> [snip]

    >> > Yup, AOL 9.0 Optimized. Kinda cheerful-looking though.
    >> > I might hang on my tree, perhaps they should send me more,
    >> > I need 12 for the Twelve Days of Christmas! :)

    >> I'd use 'um for 12 kitty litter scoopers. ;)

    > No good. The smaller clumps fall through the hole.
    >
    > Prob'ly too much information, huh?

    lol!
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  18. On 06 Dec 2003 02:05:33 GMT, Boomer <>
    wrote:

    >> Actually, Earthlink has a similar offer. Without the aohell of
    >> course. <BG>

    >At least EL is a real ISP. AOL and MSN suck!

    I must admit that I'll take the MSN commercials over AOL CDs any day.

    "Everyone loves baklava!!!"
    a 32 bit process, Dec 6, 2003
  19. a 32 bit process wrote:

    > I must admit that I'll take the MSN commercials over AOL CDs any day.

    No way. You can't get put an MSN commercial in the microwave and get a
    (brief) light show.

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    [still no new sig]
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 6, 2003
  20. Gary G. Taylor

    Greg M Guest

    "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> "An AOL spokesman said the offer is a test program being aimed

    >> > There is no end to what AOL will do. <sigh>

    >> <AOL>
    >> Me too (sigh, that is)
    >> </AOL>

    > So many people I know swear by AOL that I thought they (AOL)
    > already had everybody of "limited or no experience" using their
    > service. When I first got started I used Prodigy then Compuserve
    > (I think) and then AOL it took me less than a week to drop each
    > one of them ... personally I didn't like any of them ... there was
    > too much hype & BS there ... I really wasn't interested in how
    > they viewed the InterNet or the World ... Still, I have people (I
    > actually help) who have both a regular provider AND AOL and where
    > do they spend all their time? YUP! AOL! When I point out that
    > they're paying twice and only using AOL as a placebo of sorts ...
    > they give me "that" look ... "Lights on, Nobody home"

    <old story>

    For a friend, it took me, some, 5 or 6 mouse clicks to find M$'s
    PowerPoint (free) viewer on oahell. At *every* F-ing step of the way
    they were rying to sell me F-ing Office, for only US$400.

    Bu-u-u-t their *special* DUN s/w found my dad's modem after I re-did
    his machine onto a new mobo. No problem-0!
    Greg M, Dec 6, 2003