    --
    Best regards,
    Chris.
    Chris Wilson, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Chris Wilson

    Cyndi Guest

    I use Adobe Photo Deluxe, Irfanview and PictureIt Express...........they are all extremely easy and probably won't do any of the fancy things you will want for later......Irfanview can with all the plugins, but I don't have any of them.
    --
    Cyndi
    Cyndi, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Chris Wilson

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > What do you recommend for a beginner to get for digital photo editing? I
    > don't want to be overwhelmed with functionality I will probably not
    > understand or need for ages. Thanks.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Chris.

    Chris,
    Adobe Elements 2.0 is a great program to start with.
    It will walk you through just about anything you want with just a click of
    the mouse.
    Very user friendly and powerful.

    Jim Waggener, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Chris Wilson

    Don Coon Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > > What do you recommend for a beginner to get for digital photo editing? I
    > > don't want to be overwhelmed with functionality I will probably not
    > > understand or need for ages. Thanks.
    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > > Chris.

    > Chris,
    > Adobe Elements 2.0 is a great program to start with.
    > It will walk you through just about anything you want with just a click of
    > the mouse.
    > Very user friendly and powerful.

    CompUSA has Elements 2.0 bundled with PhotoShop Album 2.0 for $69 after $45
    in rebates.

    Agree it's great and if or when you're ready to move up to PhotoShop,
    everything you've learned transfers.
    Don Coon, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Chris Wilson

    Markeau Guest

    I recommend one of the Microsoft offerings for a beginner:
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/products/default.asp

    Markeau, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Chris Wilson

    HRosita Guest

    >"Don Coon" wrote:

    >Agree it's great and if or when you're ready to move up to PhotoShop,
    >everything you've learned transfers.

    I second the opinion, Also there are a lot of tutorials and forums for
    Elements.

    Rosita
    HRosita, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Chris Wilson

    peweg Guest

    I agree with the other folks. Photoshop Elements. It can be used at a
    beginners level, but there is plenty in it for advanced users.
    Around here, (CO) Walmart has the best price. $58.

    peweg, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Chris Wilson

    Alan Browne Guest

    > "Chris Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What do you recommend for a beginner to get for digital photo editing? I
    >>don't want to be overwhelmed with functionality I will probably not
    >>understand or need for ages. Thanks.
    >>--
    >>Best regards,
    >> Chris.

    > Chris,
    > Adobe Elements 2.0 is a great program to start with.
    > It will walk you through just about anything you want with just a click of
    > the mouse.
    > Very user friendly and powerful.

    Concur.
    Alan Browne, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Chris Wilson

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Dec 16, 2003
  10. peweg wrote:

    > I agree with the other folks. Photoshop Elements. It can be used at a
    > beginners level, but there is plenty in it for advanced users.
    > Around here, (CO) Walmart has the best price. $58.

    Heh, on an off-topic note, I bet a lot of software pirates were upset
    when Elements came out; they could no longer use "ridiculously
    overpriced" as an excuse to pirate Photoshop for simple image editing...

    In any case, I'm glad Adobe released Elements. The market really needed
    a GOOD image processing package at a price that mere mortals were
    willing to pay. I don't know of anyone outside a professional printing
    scene that has used Photoshop's advanced features not present in Elements...

    -Z
    Zorin the Lynx, Dec 16, 2003
  11. Chris Wilson

    Don Coon Guest

    "Zorin the Lynx" <> wrote in message
    > peweg wrote:
    >
    > > I agree with the other folks. Photoshop Elements. It can be used at a
    > > beginners level, but there is plenty in it for advanced users.
    > > Around here, (CO) Walmart has the best price. $58.

    > Heh, on an off-topic note, I bet a lot of software pirates were upset
    > when Elements came out; they could no longer use "ridiculously
    > overpriced" as an excuse to pirate Photoshop for simple image editing...
    >
    > In any case, I'm glad Adobe released Elements. The market really needed
    > a GOOD image processing package at a price that mere mortals were
    > willing to pay. I don't know of anyone outside a professional printing
    > scene that has used Photoshop's advanced features not present in

    Elements...

    You may not know of anyone but there are many, many mere mortals using the
    full version. You can get PS CS for $300 as an upgrade to Elements under
    certain conditions. In my case it was having a copy of Elements that came
    bundled with my Canon 10D. What's interesting is that while I was one the
    phone making the purchase, I realized that I no longer had the copy that
    came with the 10D (sold it with my Pro90) but I did have a copy I purchased
    from Amazon for about $30 after two rebates. Didn't make any difference;
    they gave me the $300 price anyway. I guess I'd class myself as an
    advanced amateur. Is that above "mere mortal"? : )

    Cheers!
    Don Coon, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Chris Wilson

    Markeau Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > Markeau wrote:
    >
    >> I recommend one of the Microsoft offerings for a beginner:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/products/default.asp
    >>

    > The recomendation of a Microsoft imaging product is indication that
    > you should not be making recomendations.

    Which one have you used?
    Markeau, Dec 16, 2003
  13. Chris Wilson

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:25:46 -0000, in rec.photo.digital Chris Wilson
    <> wrote:

    >What do you recommend for a beginner to get for digital photo editing? I
    >don't want to be overwhelmed with functionality I will probably not
    >understand or need for ages. Thanks.

    What features are you specifically looking for? Those features may quickly
    narrow the list.

    resizing/resampling
    brightness/contrast adj
    red-eye reduction
    cropping - to specific aspect ratio
    levels
    layers
    batch processing
    etc.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Dec 16, 2003
  14. Chris Wilson

    none Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What do you recommend for a beginner to get for digital photo editing? I
    >don't want to be overwhelmed with functionality I will probably not
    >understand or need for ages. Thanks.

    Taking you at your word that you don't want to be overwhelmed.....

    Don't buy anything at first.

    Depending on the camera, many of them come with basic editing software
    that may be all you need for quite some time.
    For instance our Canon A60 came with a decent set of software that
    would probably satisfy many people who are just beginning.

    When you out grow it you will know better what you want in more
    advanced software.

    Just a thought.....
    none, Dec 16, 2003
  15. Chris Wilson

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Markeau" <> wrote in message
    > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > > Markeau wrote:
    > >
    > >> I recommend one of the Microsoft offerings for a beginner:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/products/default.asp
    > >>

    > > The recomendation of a Microsoft imaging product is indication that
    > > you should not be making recomendations.

    > Which one have you used?

    None I bet. He is probably one of those people who like to bash anything
    from MS without having used the products in question. They think it makes
    them seem clever.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken, Dec 17, 2003
  16. Chris Wilson

    VT Guest

    <> wrote:

    >>What do you recommend for a beginner to get for digital photo editing? I
    >>don't want to be overwhelmed with functionality I will probably not
    >>understand or need for ages. Thanks.

    The middle tier which would suit up to the advanced photographer are:

    Jasc Paint Shop Pro (8.0)
    Adobe PhotoShop Elements (2.0)
    Ulead PhotoImpact (8.0)

    Paint Shop Pro is often called the poor-person's PhotoShop - with
    probably the most features of the three.

    PS Elements is PhotoShop stripped down to most of the essentials for
    photography - main advantage is that what it does it does the same way
    as PhotoShop and retains the PS compatbility.

    I personally don't think Ulead's PhotoImpact is quite as powerful as
    either former packages - but it is much faster to use for me since it
    does more things by visual examples - so it's quick to learn but still
    powerful enough.

    These all sell for less than US$100 - often substantially discounted
    or with significant rebates. (for example I got PS Elements 2.0 for
    $5 after multiple rebates......)

    Older versions may be much lower priced as well - or even FREE - for
    example I got Paint Shop Pro 5.0 free with UK's "Digital Camera
    Magazine" Nov/2002 issue - since you're in the UK you might still be
    able to get a back issue with the free disc?

    I also got Ulead PhotoImpact 5.0 for about US$6 from CompUSA in a
    plain CD jewel box - this is the software I use most because it is
    quick and effective.

    At the lower retail price level MGI (now Roxio) PhotoSuite (4) is
    quite well thought of.

    If you take your time you might want to read the reviews at:
    http://www.designer-info.com/

    Their archived reviews have older versions, which may help in choosing
    the right (level of) software
    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHES for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
    VT, Dec 17, 2003
  17. Chris Wilson

    Crownfield Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:

    > "Markeau" <> wrote in message
    > > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    > > > The recomendation of a Microsoft imaging product is indication that
    > > > you should not be making recomendations.

    > > Which one have you used?

    > None I bet. He is probably one of those people who like to bash anything
    > from MS without having used the products in question. They think it makes
    > them seem clever.

    jasc.com,
    Cerious.com,
    prismaticsoftware.com,
    picto.com,
    asf.com,
    adobe.com
    all good tools.

    microsoft makes foveon grade products.
    you know, consumer grade.

    Crownfield, Dec 17, 2003
  18. Chris Wilson

    Don Coon Guest

    "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Aitken wrote:
    > >
    > > "Markeau" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    > > > Which one have you used?

    > > None I bet. He is probably one of those people who like to bash anything
    > > from MS without having used the products in question. They think it

    makes
    > > them seem clever.

    > jasc.com,
    > Cerious.com,
    > prismaticsoftware.com,
    > picto.com,
    > asf.com,
    > adobe.com
    > all good tools.
    >

    > microsoft makes foveon grade products.
    > you know, consumer grade.
    >

    > > --
    > > Peter Aitken

    BUT, what MS imaging products have you used?? That was the question.
    Don Coon, Dec 17, 2003
  19. Chris Wilson

    Crownfield Guest

    Don Coon wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > > Peter Aitken wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Markeau" <> wrote in message

    > > > None I bet. He is probably one of those people who like to bash anything
    > > > from MS without having used the products in question. They think it

    > makes
    > > > them seem clever.

    > > jasc.com,
    > > Cerious.com,
    > > prismaticsoftware.com,
    > > picto.com,
    > > asf.com,
    > > adobe.com
    > > all good tools.
    > >

    > > microsoft makes foveon grade products.
    > > you know, consumer grade.
    > >

    > > > --
    > > > Peter Aitken

    > BUT, what MS imaging products have you used?? That was the question.

    I probably tried three.
    The first one wanted me to install and enable outlook
    so it could send emails.

    I do not want my image editor sending emails.
    I certainly do not want to install virusmail
    on any of my computers.

    the last one was ok,
    but klutzy beyond any redeeming virtues.

    summed up simply and clearly,
    Crownfield, Dec 17, 2003
  20. I think Paint Shop Pro is getting more complex and more like
    Photoshop all the time, and frankly, I'm having a tougher time
    recommending it to novices. I have 7.04 and use a lot of the
    features, but have seen Photoshop Elements 2.0 in action, and I
    must say, for novices, it is just flat out easier to use and
    powerful enough for most of their needs.

    I have been a fan of Paint Shop Pro from the old, old days, and I
    think I still have like version 3 on floppy, but it is going into
    a more professional direction, and frankly, if you have to invest
    that much time into figuring it out, you might as well get
    Photoshop Elements 2 so that when the time comes, you can step up
    to the full blown version of Photoshop.

    Sad to have to say this, but I do think it is true.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Dec 17, 2003