Beginner's Networking Query - this may or may not be a problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by slaterino@googlemail.com, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I am hoping someone can help me with this problem! I work for a small
    community group and since I joined I have tried fixing any problems we
    have with the network even though I haven't really any training.
    Anyway, recently the Internet keeps cutting off for periods of 30-45
    minutes throughout the day. Each time I turn the equipment on and off
    (this is the limits of my training) and eventually it will start to
    work again. Sometimes, however there will be one computer which says
    "unable to connect to internet. IP address already in use" or
    something along these lines. It can be quite frustrating when everyone
    at work is moaning at me that the Internet's not working and I'm not
    really sure what I can do about it. The setup we have is as follow:

    Broadband line goes to ADSL Gateway (Linksys BEFDSR41W - 10.10.2.121)
    which is linked to Linksys Firewall/Router (BEFSX41 - 10.10.1.121).
    >From this firewall all computers are linked as well as network printer

    and server. Server has details of Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default
    Gateway 10.10.2.121 and DNS 10.10.1.10.

    Would it be possible to take the firewall out of this equation and
    still be secure. If that was to happen would I then need to change the
    server's details to reflect the IP address of the Gateway rather than
    Firewall? Also, can anyone see any problems with this set-up as to why
    the Internet keeps going down? Is it possible that the equipment is
    faulty at all? Are Linksys quite bad at making routers?

    If anyone can provide any help or point me to some really useful
    articles I will be eternally grateful!!!

    Thanks,
    Russ Slater
    , Mar 23, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Mar 23, 8:11 am, wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am hoping someone can help me with this problem! I work for a small
    > community group and since I joined I have tried fixing any problems we
    > have with the network even though I haven't really any training.
    > Anyway, recently the Internet keeps cutting off for periods of 30-45
    > minutes throughout the day. Each time I turn the equipment on and off
    > (this is the limits of my training) and eventually it will start to
    > work again. Sometimes, however there will be one computer which says
    > "unable to connect to internet. IP address already in use" or
    > something along these lines. It can be quite frustrating when everyone
    > at work is moaning at me that the Internet's not working and I'm not
    > really sure what I can do about it. The setup we have is as follow:
    >
    > Broadband line goes to ADSL Gateway (Linksys BEFDSR41W - 10.10.2.121)
    > which is linked to Linksys Firewall/Router (BEFSX41 - 10.10.1.121).>From this firewall all computers are linked as well as network printer
    >
    > and server. Server has details of Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default
    > Gateway 10.10.2.121 and DNS 10.10.1.10.
    >
    > Would it be possible to take the firewall out of this equation and
    > still be secure. If that was to happen would I then need to change the
    > server's details to reflect the IP address of the Gateway rather than
    > Firewall? Also, can anyone see any problems with this set-up as to why
    > the Internet keeps going down? Is it possible that the equipment is
    > faulty at all? Are Linksys quite bad at making routers?
    >
    > If anyone can provide any help or point me to some really useful
    > articles I will be eternally grateful!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Russ Slater

    Hi Russ,
    The comment about having an "IP address already in use" makes me think
    you have duplicate IP address assignments on your network. Duplicate
    IP addresses can cause all kinds of havoc. Have you checked to see if
    you do have multiple devices using the same IP address? If I were
    you, I would begin by checking the IP addresses on every device in
    your network (I'm assuming it's a pretty small network) and verify
    that every device is configured with a unique IP address.

    -Dan
    , Mar 25, 2007