    equipment for beginners?

    TIA,
    Janene

    Janene, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Janene

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Janene wrote:
    > Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
    > Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.
    >
    > I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
    > whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
    > one way or the other? Any insight?
    >
    > Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
    > equipment for beginners?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Janene

    I would go digital, but hold off on buying a camera as long as possible
    so you'll get a better idea of what you might need. It will be a great
    way to see a bunch of different models to compare feel & features.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Janene

    ERich10983 Guest

    >I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
    >whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
    >one way or the other? Any insight?
    >
    >Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
    >equipment for beginners?

    When I teach my digital photo classes, I get a few students who don't have a
    camera yet but want to become informed consumers. I cover a lot of the camera
    and computer issues, but a lot of the class is devoted to purely photographic
    issues such as exposure, composition, technique and how to see and recognize
    good photo situations.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH

    ERich10983, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Janene

    GT40 Guest

    On 15 Oct 2004 08:43:32 -0700, (Janene) wrote:

    >Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
    > Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.
    >
    >I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
    >whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
    >one way or the other? Any insight?
    >
    >Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
    >equipment for beginners?

    Go digital first, then if you can't get in, hit the other one. I
    would talk to the instructor before you buy a camera.

    GT40, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Janene

    Big Bill Guest

    Janene wrote:
    > Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
    > Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.
    >
    > I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
    > whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
    > one way or the other? Any insight?
    >
    > Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
    > equipment for beginners?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Janene

    Are there any Community or Junior Colleges near you? They often have
    photography classes for beginners. Some even break it down to film
    *or* digital, some don't.

    If you can't decide, an entry level film camera will be less expensive
    than an entry level digital camera; unless you feel comfortable
    getting a used digital for much less than new.

    The basics of photography apply to both film and digital, so a
    beginners class that requires a film camera (using a cheap camera)
    will get you the basics for digital, too.

    Good luck!

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Janene

    zeitgeist Guest

    digital and analog photography is surprisingly similar, most classes would
    be geared towards the cameras newbie photogs are buying.

    I'd look at your local parks and rec dept, your local community college,
    and/or adult education for classes, also look up PSA or other photo clubs
    for classes, field trips and mentoring.

    as for equipment, if you have a friend into photography, buy what they have
    so you can share lenses and flash etc.

    zeitgeist, Oct 16, 2004