Beginner question about SIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Peter Reinhold, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Hi All,

    I've recently stumbled upen the whole world of SIPPhones and VoIP, and
    I have been trying to get some answers by surfing the web, but haven't
    found any.

    My question, or rather, questions, are these.

    Is it possible to set up a server at home, that can be used as a
    "phonebook"/directory (i THINK this is called a redirector service,
    but I am not really familiar with all the terms in the world of VoIP),
    and then get a hardware SIP phone to use it?

    Specifically I am looking at this phone at the moment,
    http://www.sipphone.com/tiki-index.php?page=Order Now, but that
    could change. (As far as I can read, it is possible to change the
    phones setup to use the directory service of your choice)

    So, in short, is it possible to download software (preferably for
    Windows), which is free / open-sourced, which will allow me to set up
    a small VoIP network?

    Regards,

    Peter Reinhold / peter ]at[ reinhold ]dot[ dk

    Peter Reinhold, Sep 28, 2003