Beginner Quest.: Printing A High Resolution Pix To a 4x6 Inch Print ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert11, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    New at this.

    Have taken several pix with my new digital camera at a "high resolution"
    setting of 1024 x 768.

    Pictures look just great on PC monitor.

    But, when I take them to either of two photo printing centers in local
    drugstores, they
    both tell me they cannot print the whole picture (at a 4x6 inch size print)
    that is on the memory card at
    this resolution; that I have to select/crop a smaller area for them to
    print.

    Is this true ?
    Why?

    Is there some (possibly free?) photo editing program I can use to "keep" the
    high resolution
    quality (or for ones i take at even higher res.), but be able to completely
    have the image printed
    out in a 4x6 inch print ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Robert11

    dslr Guest

    Re: Beginner Quest.: Printing A High Resolution Pix To a 4x6 Inch Print?

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > New at this.
    >
    > Have taken several pix with my new digital camera at a "high resolution"
    > setting of 1024 x 768.
    >
    > Pictures look just great on PC monitor.
    >
    > But, when I take them to either of two photo printing centers in local
    > drugstores, they
    > both tell me they cannot print the whole picture (at a 4x6 inch size print)
    > that is on the memory card at
    > this resolution; that I have to select/crop a smaller area for them to
    > print.
    >
    > Is this true ?

    Yes

    > Why?

    Because the ratio of width to height is different. Your image has a
    1.33:1 ratio, whilst the 4x6" paper has one of 1.5:1.
    Something has to give somewhere, so your image requires cropping to a
    1.5:1 width/height ratio. The only other alternative is for it to be
    printed so that one dimension is fully on the paper and accept white
    stripes at the edges where the other dimension doesn't reach the edges.
    The printers might/should be able to do either for you if you like, but
    their original statement is correct.

    > Is there some (possibly free?) photo editing program I can use to "keep" the
    > high resolution quality (or for ones i take at even higher res.), but be able to completely
    > have the image printed out in a 4x6 inch print ?

    Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) should do what you need - for this
    and many other photo "tools" - at a price I'm sure you'll like.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Robert11

    Guest Guest

    Re: Beginner Quest.: Printing A High Resolution Pix To a 4x6 Inch Print ?

    Or you could take your pics to somewhere that does "digital" print sizes ...
    such as www.bonusprint.co.uk.

    Guest, Nov 17, 2003