    features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    Richard Dillon, Aug 20, 2003

  2. > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    Try the little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's aimed at novice
    users, I find it very user friendly. Comes with excelent help and many easy
    to follow tutorials. You can download a 30-day trial version from Adobe. Can
    be had for $49 at Amazon:
    http://tinyurl.com/km2t

    Cheers,

    -Jorge

    Jorge Alvarez, Aug 20, 2003

  3. >
    > Try the little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's aimed at novice
    > users, I find it very user friendly. Comes with excelent help and many

    easy
    > to follow tutorials. You can download a 30-day trial version from Adobe.

    Can
    > be had for $49 at Amazon:
    > http://tinyurl.com/km2

    I agree. I have both and almost NEVER need to use the full-blown version.
    Elements is a terrific value.

    Charles Schuler, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Richard Dillon

    RB Guest

    "Richard Dillon" <> wrote in message
    > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    Have a look at Photoplus 5.5. Have never used it but appears to be like
    PaintShopPro and the price is right, free from www.freeserifsoftware.com.

    Ray

    RB, Aug 20, 2003
  5. "RB" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Dillon" <> wrote in message
    > > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    > Have a look at Photoplus 5.5. Have never used it but appears to be like
    > PaintShopPro and the price is right, free from www.freeserifsoftware.com.
    >
    > Ray

    At the same time, try the latest version of Paint Shop Pro free from
    www.jasc.com. It is excellent for the beginner to get started qyuickly,
    with plenty of room to increase your skills.

    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 20, 2003
  6. Richard Dillon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Richard Dillon)

    >Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    >picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    >Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    >software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    >features?

    Elements is a good choice, it's much simpler than Photoshop but the interface
    is similar enough that if you decide to go to Photoshop later you'll have a leg
    up.

    You can often get it free bundled with certain hardware packages, like the
    Canon 10D camera or the Wacom 6x8" tablet or, I think, some printers. So if
    you're thinking of buying something in the near future you might check to see
    if Elements is included.

    Bill Hilton, Aug 20, 2003
  7. I will also vote for Elements.

    If that is too much then I suggest Microsoft's Picture It.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 20, 2003
  8. "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "RB" <> wrote in message
    > > "Richard Dillon" <> wrote in message
    > > > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > > > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > > > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > > > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > > > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > > > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > > > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    > > Have a look at Photoplus 5.5. Have never used it but appears to be like
    > > PaintShopPro and the price is right, free from www.freeserifsoftware.com.
    > >
    > > Ray
    > >

    > At the same time, try the latest version of Paint Shop Pro free from
    > www.jasc.com. It is excellent for the beginner to get started qyuickly,
    > with plenty of room to increase your skills.

    short, I barely use 5 percent of it. I'm new to this all and the
    learning curve is so rediculously high! Try a very early version of a
    cheaper program where all you do is enhance your pics. Try Ulead's
    website and download a freebie or two of one of the older ones! You'll
    be happier! They mak fabulous stuff and you can keep upgrading to your
    level! Try Ebay, PriceGrabber, Yahoo SHopping, etc, for the lowest
    prices.

    Michael P Gabriel, Aug 20, 2003
  9. Richard Dillon

    Paul Cordes Guest

    > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    Picture Window Pro http://www.dl-c.com 30 day free trial of non-crippled
    version downloadable.
    New version soon out, free upgrade if you buy the current 3.1 version.

    Will do almost anything Photoshop will do and does a lot of things Photoshop
    can't do.
    Reasonable learning curve.

    Paul Cordes, Aug 20, 2003
  10. "Paul Cordes" <late*> writes:

    > "Richard Dillon" <> wrote in message
    > > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    > Picture Window Pro http://www.dl-c.com 30 day free trial of non-crippled
    > version downloadable.
    > New version soon out, free upgrade if you buy the current 3.1 version.
    >
    > Will do almost anything Photoshop will do and does a lot of things Photoshop
    > can't do.
    > Reasonable learning curve.

    It's a very nice piece of software. It has the best brightness curve
    tool of any editor I've seen, and that's the key tool for digital
    photo editing. Also has a very good color balance tool, and a really
    brilliant point color correction tool.

    Also fully supports 16-bit editing.

    Unfortunately it doesn't have layers or adjustment layers. I like
    adjustment layers a *lot* -- I like to do editing without damaging the
    underlying pixels, because as I work my way to a good print of
    something, I change my mind a lot. Changing things back and forth
    degrades the image, sometimes really seriously. Going back to the
    beginning and repeating everything you want to keep from scratch takes
    huge amounts of time. So I tend to use it for simple work, and
    one-shot work that I'm not going to take my time over, and sometimes
    for complex steps in complex work.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 21, 2003
  11. Richard Dillon

    GCW Guest

    On 8/20/03 5:08 PM, in article p4U0b.157874$cF.56041@rwcrnsc53, "Rina"
    <> wrote:

    > Photoshop Elements.

    I have PS Elements and can heartily endorse it. But I have a question: one
    thing that's missing from Elements that's in Photoshop is something called
    "curves." What is it, and why would I want it?

    GCW

    GCW, Aug 21, 2003
  12. Richard Dillon

    Savidge4 Guest

    >Will do almost anything Photoshop will do and does a lot of things Photoshop
    >can't do.
    >Reasonable learning curve.

    what "Can't" photoshop do?

    Savidge4, Aug 21, 2003
  13. Richard Dillon

    Guest

    Photoshop does not do panoramas or photo
    stitching.......................needs an extra plug-in

    jdt

    , Aug 21, 2003
  14. Richard Dillon

    Rina Guest

    Photoshop Elements does do panoramas, it's called "create photomerge"

    Rina
    --
    Please respond to the newsgroup, mail from this account is deleted unread

    Rina, Aug 21, 2003
  15. Richard Dillon

    Rina Guest

    If all you want is a program to enhance your pictures, didn't your camera
    come with software to do that? Most do.

    Most of us paid considerably less than $60. There have been so many rebates
    offered for users of other programs.

    I will agree that it's a bit tough to get used to. "Elements 2" addressed
    that and made things a bit easier with The Quick fix menu" I started with
    Photodeluxe and gradually worked myself into"Elements" But It's nice to be
    using the baby brother of the industry standard "Photoshop"...

    Rina

    Rina, Aug 21, 2003
  16. Richard Dillon

    Jim G Guest

    (Richard Dillon) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
    > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
    > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
    > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
    > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
    > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
    > TIA,and please reply to . Thanks so much again!

    I use a program called Photo Brush, All though I have Photo Shop, I
    don't care for it. I get much better and faster results with Photo
    Brush. It was only $39 and it will take PS plugins.

    Jim Gregerson
    http://www.showtelinc.com/aphoto2.htm

    Jim G, Aug 21, 2003
  17. Richard Dillon

    simon Guest

    You could try Gimp (www.gimp.org) it's FREE, but not any less complex that
    PhotoShop.

    simon, Aug 22, 2003
  18. Well, folks, I downloaded the trial version of PS Elements, and like
    it a lot. It does look as though it has a pretty big learning curve,
    but I found some excellent tutorials (thanks to folks on this group)
    and am wading my way into it. Comp USA has it for $29.99 after an
    adobe rebate, and I hope to pick up it up tomorrow.
    I had one question - what are photoshop plug ins, and where might they
    be acquired? Thanks so much for answering all my incessant questions,
    Richard

    Richard Dillon, Aug 23, 2003
  19. Richard Dillon

    pupulv

    Joined:
    May 15, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    for beginners, easy to use should be the priority, I recommend the photo editing software PhotoStudio, rich in functions, handy in price and easy to use.Truth is that it has both versions for win and mac photo editor

    pupulv, Jun 1, 2013